FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Kill Bin Laden!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greebo, I dont mean any disrespect in any way, but you dont know what this is lke for us. Were Americans, and damn proud of it. When someone attacks any of us, we all are there to take them on. These attacks make it personal. We're not going to let it slide off of our shoulder. We need to vent our anger. We cant just suppress these feelings, its not right. Please, let us get our anger out, then Im sure over time, we'll get over it

Sick Cycle Carousel
Lifehouse
No Name Face
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me but I believe people from over 20 countries are still missing from this country - including 100+ from the UK - this was not just an attack on the USA.
And the UK has been under constant attack from the IRA and it's various affiliates for several years - it's no stranger to terrorist activity.
Believe me I know what a big tragedy is like - remember the Dunblane primary school shootings back in.....'96 I think - that's where I'm from, I knew 4 of the kids killed in that.
Ok so the scale isn't the same but the effect is.
I didn't go around making games shooting the face of Thomas Hamilton.

Just a thought, but what will you all do if it turns out not to have been Bin Laden, or indeed any other terrorist groups - it's entirely possible (though admittedly unlikely) that it could've been people who organized it separately. In an age when global communication is as easy as ABC, anything is possible.
"Greebo...wouldn't have stood a chance against any decent swordmanship, but on his side was the fact that it is almost impossible to develop decent swordmanship when you seem to have run into a food mixer that is biting your ear off."

[ This Message was edited by: Greebo on 2001-09-18 20:08 ]
Whatever

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if he did it or not to me. He was involved with the Cole being attacked (with I believe 17 sailors died). He was also involved in the embassy bombings in Kenya and who knows what other deaths are at his hands.

He has called for the death of all Americans as well.

As far as I am concerned, he deserves to die. Does not matter if he did this tragedy or not. I certainly don't care if he is not guilty of this, he is of other crimes against innocent people. Good enough reason for me.

As for evidence, I hope they find the right people of course. But in the long run, we should go after all terrorists...

Anyway, just my opinion...and I will not comment further on this. I have few tears left after this last week...

Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unfortunately you can't get rid of terrorism, that's something I think Bush hasn't realised.
If you get rid of 1 group theres 100 others to take their place

DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you see anyone playing under any reference to bin-laden. Except of course bin-laden sucks or bin-laden must die, etc..

I played last night as "Death to Osama bin Laden". I left, angry at first because without warning Greebo had bound my attack button to kill. I hear what Greebo is trying to say, but I don't agree. I would ask the following of Greebo: Are you an American. If not then let us have a little time to vent. If you are then when our president says of bin Laden "Wanted dead-or-alive" that is good enough evidence for me that they believe he has enought culpability to be brought to justice.

If the rule was posted on the server, I did not see it, although I don't read them every time I join the game. If Greebo gave me any andvanced warning before binding my attack key then I apologize because I did not see it. When the battle is fierce I am not able to read all that scrolls by and still fight. I would have appreciated a little more warning. If Greebo had gotten my attention and said something like, "I understand your sentiment, but we have decided not to allow names referencing bin Laden" then the choice would have been mine.

Greebo if you did give me warning, I apologize, because I did not see it.

DukeNukem

P.S. I assume that it is likely that Greebo is Scottish since it appears that he hails from Scottland. I have nothing but the highest respect for the Scots. They are among the fiercest and bravest people in the world. It is just that this may not be as close (emotionally) to Greebo.
DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears I missed one of Greebo's posts, making it clear that he is Scottish. While it is true that the Scotts are no stranger to terrorism it is true that this happened just over a week ago. I don't know the breakdown of foriegn individuals that are missing, but it is likely that some Scotts were killed. I agree with him that this was not just an attack on the U.S. But IT WAS ON OUR SOIL!! Moreover, we are not making a game with a face of Osama bin Laden to shoot. We are just expressing anger at his clear connection, even if he is not directly responsible, by a choice of name. That is not the same.

I will certainly respect whatever rules the server sets. Thank you.

DukeNukem
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did warn you several times, but if you didn't see it that's cool, pretty sure I didn't ban you.

Yes it was on your soil, I realise that.
But I wonder, had this happened in Russia would you have cared so much?
If China had asked for a global alliance against terrorism would you have joined?

"Greebo...wouldn't have stood a chance against any decent swordmanship, but on his side was the fact that it is almost impossible to develop decent swordmanship when you seem to have run into a food mixer that is biting your ear off."

[ This Message was edited by: Greebo on 2001-09-19 12:17 ]
Pointy_Stick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young american men (a large amount of the people who play this game) don't need to forget this incident right now. They have to be ready to fight this evil. We don't know how long this war will go on. Maybe some people can forget, but we must not. We need our anger and our resolve to motivate us in the campaign against terrorism. I guarantee you some of the people at the ville will be called on to fight. I am a US army reservist myself and I don't know yet if I will be called up or not. I am sure I am not the only person at the ville who is in such a situation. Forgetting is not an option for us.

Respectfully,
Jason
DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the question is fair. Let me ask one: If someone murdered my daughter (I have 3) would you care as much as if someone had murdered one of your children (supposing you have any)? It is not inappropriate to care more about your own countrymen than those of another. It doesn't mean you don't care about the citizens of other countries, just that you don't care quite as deeply. It cannot be any other way. If we cared about each person in the world that died as much as our own children we would die from grief. God knew that we could not survive if he made us that way.

In answer to your second question: If China wanted to form a coalition against terrorism, I would back it and suggest that the U.S. would likely be the first of all nations to join. I think that would have been true even before the WTC bombing. See the article by Canadian Gordon Sinclair:
http://www.clubads.com/america.html

DukeNukem

P.S. No I didn't see any warnings before the final "Change your name" before I left. The battle was waaaaaaay too fierce. All I saw was when I would die it said something about the "Wrath of Greedo" but not why.
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Forgetting is not an option for us.

Forgetting?
No
But you can't stay angry forever, it's just not possible.
Few years down the line, if this alliance is still fighting terrorists, chances are the question "Why are we doing this?" will arise.
You might ask if it was so wise to start this action that has little or no hope of succeeding 100%

Bakuryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but
a) People can stay angry for centuries
b) You are entitled your own opinion under most govermental systems, although you must recognize that this is a private server and just as if you were at someone's house, you are expected to follow their rules.
c) Killing bin Laden would make him a Martyr to his followers and another would step up to take his place
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cstone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anger is certainly not the state of mind that I want our government to be in when it makes foreign policy.

Government officials need to be thinking rationally during periods of unrest. They need to consider the global implications of their actions, as well as the long term effects within their own country. Clearer heads must prevail.
DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You talk as though anger is always a bad thing. It is not anger but how you handle it that results in evil or yes good. Many great organizations (i.e. MADD) have arisen as a result of properly focused anger.

DukeNukem
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

a) People can stay angry for centuries

Not really - at least not at the same thing.
Look at Northern Ireland
A lot of the violence going on there was done by people who'd completely forgotten what the original causes of it were.
They hated cos their parents taught them to hate.
Now that I think of it - you remember the pics of some kids from pakistan (I think) celebrating the tragedy?
They did that cos their fathers taught them to think that way.

Now:
Hypothetically speaking assume everyone in the US teaches their sons/daughters to hate afghanistan (horrible spelling I know)
Now go forward say....50 years - no war has happened between the US and Afghanistan for say...45 years
But there are still a small pocket of people who teach their sons and daughters to hate the Afghan people.
Now imagine some horrible tragedy happens there.
You'll see *exactly* the same images of those children in the USA celebrating said tragedy.
Do you really want that?

One thought and an edit later:
Just had a thought:
Now the US....no...the world is more or less talking about war on terrorism and (it seems) countries who harbour terrorists.

Why not just start letting each army slaughter their own citizens?
I'd there are more than enough terrorist groups for each country - some have loads.

It's known that various people in the US have/do fund the IRA - are we gonna send cruise missiles at the US?
Hell
We might as well send them to the UK (IRA), maybe a few to Spain (ETA) , Don't forget them African countries, there's terrorist running around there all the time.

If you asked the UK to hand over each terrorist it has, it couldn't do it - couldn't find em.
Same with Spain.

Sod it, lets nuke the world for good measure, that'll "smoke them out". Casualties? Who cares, we got the terrorists didn't we?

[ This Message was edited by: Greebo on 2001-09-19 19:01 ]
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion all but I am getting awful tired of this thread.

This place is called The Ville, its focus is on the 3 servers what we play TFC on. Perhaps we can try to focus on that?

The forum is called general ramblings, should I get Robert to create one called Political Bullshit? That way all this can go into there and we can get back to some nice general ramblings.

Better yet take the discussions about the pro's/con's of the actions and reactions of the US and other countries to any of the other discussion forums where thats all they do.

Back to my first statement, I am tired of all of this. What will happen will happen, we cannot make a difference, sit down, shut up and enjoy the ride.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: