FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hockey Talk..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FragFailure

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not disputing Darcy Tucker's grit. I am disputing that the Leafs wingers overall are a strength. They are weak on the wings. We'll see about Paul Maurice as a coach. I don't think he is an elite coach. He did get Carolina to the finals back a few years ago. Unfortunately they were fodder for the stacked Red Wings team. I would be shocked if the Leafs got to the conference finals next year.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
yipster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaf fans eh? Well the Canucks lost Bertuzzi and got Luongo, and signed him to a 4 year deal yesterday. And the no trade clause kicks after the first year. Now all we need is some crazy ass center or winger to compliment Nassy and Mo and were set.
loka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ wrote:
loka wrote:
Richter- wrote:
They still play hockey???

what is hockey?

A sport where people sweat, unlike baseball.

Clearly you watch no sports.

Maybe Golf would fill in as worst sport ever, but honestly this makes no difference because I see no value to a crappy sport unlike baseball where if you had the background of a rich and historic team maybe you'd enjoy it as much as those two nobody teams called the Blow Jays and Ex'pos. Oh wait thats right the MLB took away the Ex'pos due to poor attendance and no concept of the sport. Sad really.

Point is don't slander a sport you have never really embraced. I've tried embracing hockey, but honestly it's the worst league ever in sports. Maybe if Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Johnny Bucyk, Cam Neely, and Ray Bourque were still playing I'd give a damn. Otherwise it's all garbage.

Richter-
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Hockey Movie EVER

NOT

Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to NFL, MLB, and NHL games. The NHL is by far the best to attend. The comfort factor, bang for your buck, and over all crowd excitement are just a few of the reasons why. If you have never been to one .....go. Take the kids, it's fun for all.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Richter-
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Ricen I have been to see every sport you can. NFL, MLB, NHL, NCAA Hockey and Bundesliga Soccer. The soccer (in Europe) and the hockey games are the best to watch in person.

And I will have to admit that I have only jersey in my closet that I have ever bought and yes it's a Minnesota Wild one...

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

LJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loka wrote:
LJ wrote:
loka wrote:
Richter- wrote:
They still play hockey???

what is hockey?

A sport where people sweat, unlike baseball.

Clearly you watch no sports.

Maybe Golf would fill in as worst sport ever, but honestly this makes no difference because I see no value to a crappy sport unlike baseball where if you had the background of a rich and historic team maybe you'd enjoy it as much as those two nobody teams called the Blow Jays and Ex'pos. Oh wait thats right the MLB took away the Ex'pos due to poor attendance and no concept of the sport. Sad really.

Point is don't slander a sport you have never really embraced. I've tried embracing hockey, but honestly it's the worst league ever in sports. Maybe if Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Johnny Bucyk, Cam Neely, and Ray Bourque were still playing I'd give a damn. Otherwise it's all garbage.

1. It's too easy to rattle your chain.
2. You assume I never gave baseball a chance. I did. I watched baseball for several years. It's boring. I've been to 4 live games. 2 in montreal, 1 in toronto and 1 in san francisco.
3. You assume it's only possible for baseball teams to have a history.
4. Maybe if the bruins had a good team you'd enjoy the game more.
SwEeTLuScIouSGaNjA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahaha..just a thought...it's funny how people jump on band wagons when a team is winning..even if they don't watch the sport or never did...loka if your bruins were winning you'd watch em

P.S....I'd rather watch golf then baseball

-GaNjA

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love
-Lao Tzu-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
loka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See it's funny that people think I'd like the Bruins if they won, but sadly just because I named a percentile of their HOFamers doesn't mean squat to me. Point is I don't like hockey. Never have never will.
That doesn't mean that I wash my hands of those tremendous players which I've actually had the chance to meet. Boston is a baseball city pure and simple.

Even when I went to Devils games it bored the hell out of me so no I don't think if I was a fan or "bandwagoning" a good team I'd have fun.

Seriously though welcome to sports where it takes winners to have a fanbase. It's the flavor of the year to wear crap from the winning teams. I bet you no one in Chicago even cared about the White Sox until they won the world series.

And seeing a baseball game in Canada doesn't count. Go see a game in New York or Boston.

LJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know San Francisco was in canada
Richter-
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loka wrote:

And seeing a baseball game in Canada doesn't count. Go see a game in New York or Boston.

I thought Boston was in Canada...

damn back to school.

SwEeTLuScIouSGaNjA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!! just got confirmation..the maple leafs have signed Hal Gill and Pavel Kubina.. to multiple year contracts which means the leafs top four d men stand as... Mccabe Kaberle Kubina Gill..aww soo excited..with raycroft in the pipes

-GaNjA

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love
-Lao Tzu-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
StrontiumDog
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe...just maybe, the Leafs will get to the playoffs this year. *on knees praying*
Tired of living in Canucksland and listening to people telling me how much the Leafs suck... And Canucks fans will be unbearable this year now they have a better keeper...

"Oh Smeg! What the smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me!" Lister, Red Dwarf
Cake
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried over the years to analyze why it is exactly that I don't like hockey or golf. Here's one of the best ways I've come up with to explain it. Hockey and golf are not sports, they are hobbies. They do require skill, but not athleticism. They are like billiards or darts or bowling.

Having the ability to do one thing very well is a skill. It requires practice and determination. But it does not require athleticism.

Baseball is a sport because it requires athetlicism. You have to be able to run, throw, and hit a baseball. There is also a huge amount of strategy, such as base running situations, hit-and-run plays, pitching changes, pinch hitters, positioning of outfielders and infielders on a hitter by hitter basis, and so on.

For these same reasons, basketball is a sport.

American football and rest-of-the-world football (AKA soccer) are also sports, but to a slightly lesser degree than these first two examples.

In a game like hockey you throw some guys out there and they skate back and forth over and over again. They maneuver a little bit, but mostly they are either skating around in a big oval, or they are skating back and forth in a straight line. They flick that puck around and even the very best players rarely know where the heck it's going to end up, or if they do know where it's going to end up, at least half of the time the other team ends up with it.

That's a not a sport, that's a hobby. A lot of people find it interesting to watch but the vast majority of people find it tedious.

Now I'm not trying to slam hockey. If I were, I would say what I do when I'm intentionally trying to rile friends of mine who are hockey fans, such as "It's just figure skating for men," or "It's not a sport if you have to recreate specific natural weather conditions to play it. That's called a hobby, like flying a kite."

I would honestly love to hear some replies to these thoughts
Sorry to throw your thread off target some more Ganja but this is interesting
loka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you said Cake.

Someone I used to know said any sport that can be played by a woman is not a sport. Well that kind of foiled his argument because he soon realized girls can also play Baseball.

My thing with hockey despite the fact that it's deathly tedious like soccer is that the game isn't approached logically. It does not take skill to shoot a puck unless you want to gloat your new puck handling skills to the next hockey aficionado. It doesn't take years and years to skate and slamming people against walls. If you consider that a sport I suggest watching figure skating as well cause that must turn you on.

Simply stated figure skating for men I've called the sport, and I've had hockey fans get mad about it and not have jack to say because it's true.

I got hit with a baseball last year on my arm. Bruised for 3 weeks. It hurt like a mother, and these soccer players that whine on the field crying to get a call are dispicable.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: