FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Background processes and ram useage
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bull
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mentioned this before..

http://www.theville.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=246660#246660

Obviously when working with limited avail memory, you will wanna cut down on as many services as possible so to free up for gaming. My 'normal' WinXP boot has about 55+ services running, but when I boot up in 'gaming' mode, I'm only running about 22 at the most.

Here's a link of which services you can play with. (Back up your system first)

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm

As mentioned before, Black Viper's web site is down, don't know why, but much of the info is still avail in different areas, just do a google search..

I will look for my multiboot config file and post it later. What this would require is setting up a new partition and installing a fresh WinXP OS. I personally wouldn't want to mess with my original/current running system, for fear of disaster (been there, done that..) and starting all over again. A new partition/OS will allow you to experiment and at the same time leave your current OS alone.

The finished result is when you boot up, you will get the option to bring XP in multiple configurations, ranging from full-blown (normal) mode to butt-squeakin' tight mode, depending on your needs.

The end result will be freeing up what little memory you have and allow the CPU more runtime, at the same time.

Ah-hah! Found it.. Just follow the steps on this link to create a multi-boot,
services limiting menu. It works for me..

http://web.archive.org/web/20041125023457/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/xpprofiles.htm

"Get-r-done.."
and WalMart Security

"Get-r-Done"
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could possible make you want to go back to ME?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bull
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>BENDER<< wrote:
thats exactly what i asked my friend but he says he has some problems with xp that he didnt have with ME bah, i dont get it either. but do u know how?

Cant do it without re-installing ME. Even if you did, I don't think you can get any of the updates for it from Microsoft now, they discontinued supporting it. For all that matters, I would rather go back to 98SE first.

What kinda prob is he having with XP? You do know you can run programs in 95, 98 or ME emulated mode while in XP, don't you?
and WalMart Security

"Get-r-Done"
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would find out if he upgraded ME to XP or if he used to have ME, then formatted and installed XP. I've heard stories of other people who tried to upgrade ME to XP with pretty terrible results. If you can convince him to give XP another chance, try backing up all his documents, etc. then formatting the hard drive and installing XP clean. (Even if it's an "Upgrade" version of XP just have the ME install discs handy... I believe you will be prompted for them to prove they exist, but XP won't install anything from them.)

If your friend can't be convinced of trying XP, the only thing you can do is back up the documents, format the hard drive and install ME from scratch. As others have said, good luck getting updates from Micro$oft. So far as I know they'll be discontinuing support sometime this year, if they haven't already. I suppose old updates should be available on their website (somewhere) but new security patches, driver updates, etc... not from M$.

Good luck. Tell your friend I'll owe him a Coke if he gives XP a chance on a clean install (and I'm talking like 2 weeks of a chance here) and still doesn't like it better than ME. (The operating system at the heart of the Microsoft CE-ME-NT era of OSes.)

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any signs of ME just run far,far away and don't look back

ME has to be the worse OS ever made. I think it came with viruses in the program. I know a office I worked at installed it on all our computers and within in 1 week 50% of our files were gone, because ME kept eating them.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: