FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ANOTHER Video Card q
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squidly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:
What's the difference between PCI-e and AGP/ How can you find out?

EDIT I don't see the 6600GT in 256MB is it worth it. Is the 256 worth it?

No 256Mb card for the 6600gt!!! Anyway, IMHO, it's better to have a good 128mb card than a medium quality 256mb!!! Company does not give anything. If you have a 256mb card at the same price than a 128mb, ask you a few question!!! It's probably because they put lower quality piece on the 256mb card (or they underclock it)!!!!

AGP is an older technology!!! Newer motherboard use pci-e!!! So I guess that you need an AGP card (if you don't plan to change your MB too)!!!

Finally, yes the 6800 is a little bit more performant but not that much!!! You can have a 6600gt for 175$ and a 6800 for about 250$!!! Now it's up to you to decide how much money you want to put on your card!!!

Mine is a MSI!!! Good card, very quiet and very good heat sink!!!! On the other hand, it is not the fastest!!! BFG is the fastest, but they set the default speed a little bit faster than other companies!!! (more power = more $$$)...! So BFG is a little more expensive!!!

But you have to know that basically, all the 6600gt are the same (same core). Each company buy the core and set their own clock/memory speed and cooling system!!! So at the end, there is not a big difference between each of them (about 4-5 FPS between the worst and the best card)!!!

Good luck!!!!
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it there is a difference between PCI and PCI-e? I'm going to assume yes. I found the specs for my motherboard and it says 4 PCI slots and 1 agp 8x. That means I should get an agp card. Heh ok

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-135-160&DEPA=1

^^^Yay or Nay?^^^

Plz don't criticize me for my uber n00biness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:
So I take it there is a difference between PCI and PCI-e? I'm going to assume yes. I found the specs for my motherboard and it says 4 PCI slots and 1 agp 8x. That means I should get an agp card. Heh ok

^^^Yay or Nay?^^^

Plz don't criticize me for my uber n00biness

Yes, there is a difference!!! PCI slot are used to add some perepherical on your comp, like soung card, ethernet card, extra USB port, etc... So you have 4 PCI slot for "extras" and 1 AGP slot for your graphic card!!!

In newer MB, the AGP slot is replaced by a PCI-e slot to put a PCI-e card!!! Sooooooo, you need an AGP card!!!

Last edited by squidly on Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCI = death for video cards
PCI-e= the next wave of video cards.

PCI is a 15 year old technology (approx.) but PCI-e (PCI express) was only recently developed. Since it's hypothetically possible to saturate the bandwidth provided by AGP 8x, they came up with a new format that used some of the same concepts as USB 2.0 to transfer more data faster using fewer connections (making the cards marginally cheaper to make, but easier to install & remove).

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:

^^^Yay or Nay?^^^

Yay. But, I dunno... personally I'd look into a name I trust more, specifically Asus, or look at the product reviews at Anandtech (see link in my first response).

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little off topic but there are mobos with both a PCI-E and an AGP slot for people who dont want to buy a new vid card.
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asus isnt all its cracked up to be anymore. Especially in video cards. Going with a name you can trust should mean going with a company that specializes in video cards.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-220&depa=1
Albino Gibbon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFG, XFX and Powercolor are good manufactueres for cards. Stay away from PNY if you can help it. Some of there ramdacs are of low quality causing blurry text and the like. Actually, AGP 8x hasn't even been fully utilized, but the PCI-E is the new wave pushed along. If I remember right, PCI-E runs at 16x. Some tests have the AGP cards outperforming their PCI-E equivalents. Just debate whether to get a PCI-E card and new mobo now, or get an AGP card now and have to, more than likely, upgrade to PCI-E in 6 months - 1 year, since vid cards will probably be PCI-E only then, except for older tech that is still on the shelves.

Usually 256 meg cards will run slower than the 128 meg equivalents, due to usually using slower mem.
Bull
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 6600GT - AGP (128mb). works great, no lag, avg 90-100 fps on line.
I also wanted a 256m memory, but DONT NEED IT!

Sarge
and WalMart Security

"Get-r-Done"
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay Pigeon wrote:
Asus isnt all its cracked up to be anymore. Especially in video cards. Going with a name you can trust should mean going with a company that specializes in video cards.

Yea I think that's the one I'm going to end up going with. Thanks guys
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:
Clay Pigeon wrote:

Yea I think that's the one I'm going to end up going with. Thanks guys

You won't regret it.
and WalMart Security

"Get-r-Done"
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But WAIT!

Hmm I still havent gotten around to ordering cuz i got an anniversary comin'. But i just saw tiger direct has the same card by chaintech for ~$15 less than newegg has the eVGA card.

TigerDirect http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1180111&Sku=C460-8529
NewEgg

Pay the extra or be cheap? Starsailor had a chaintech 5200 thats really good. After readint the post about Tiger Direct I'm not sure lol HMMMMMMMMMMM
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who don't know, ResellerRatings.com is an independant site that hosts reviews by real customers of various online computer hardware retailers. They rate retailers on a scale of 1-10 based on responses customers give, and provide the chance for people to leave comments about their experience.

9.49 - Newegg
7.10 - TigerDirect

I've always said that the service Newegg provides as far as ease of website use, ease of RMA, etc. was worth at least $10. It's up to you to decide if it's worth $15.

EDIT: I just saw that the TD prices is AFTER rebate. They are notorious for their poor rebate service. I would totally go with Newegg.

John Doe wrote:

rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with you then EG just cuz i like ya
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: