FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
SAT scores?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitterBeerFace wrote:

I like being in the midwest... ACT for me I had a friend who kept getting 35s (36 is perfect),

Damn. And I thought my 32 was good.

What did I do with mine? Went into computers, and took some classes at a Community College.

Here I am, 13 years later, a systems admin at a major New England university. (1 of only 3 professional employees without a degree. )

But I, in no way, believe that my success is the norm. I am a firm believer in education, to a point. But you need real experience to back up what the books teach you. Theory is theory, and RL is RL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, everyone at the Ville seems very educated! Well more props to you guys i only have a GED and went to whack city college for a semester. But sometimes i wonder what i would get if i did take it. All i know you get 200 points for your name. Is that true?
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh. I took an SAT Practice test (don't know if its dumbened for 12 year olds, or what) and skipping through some questions i ended up with a 1190.

So, thanks for all your advice ('specially hoaxie's) and I have another question: Should I start working on that community stuff (learning new languages, helping out at charities, playing in a regional band, job experience) now? Or should i wait until I have aged a bit and have more options available?
Typh00n

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get atleast a 600 in both then you'll get into most schoosl, excpet like good ones lol
Whatever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, I have a college degree in Chemical Engineering, but I do network administration for the state. Went to junior college for two years to save money, and then transferred to Texas A&M for the last 3. I had plenty of scholarships and ended up owing nothing with I got out, which is the way to go if you can do it. The only bad thing about junior college is that your grades won't transfer to the major university, so I only had a 3.1 GPA at A&M, while I had the 3.95 at junior college.

Anyway, on to what I wanted to say...LOL...

Just what I know, but it might depend on the state you are in, and where you want to go to college in the future.

Every college has its own admission standards. I would recommend reading up on the college you want to go to, and then plan on doing what they will like.

I took the ACT myself, being I am in Texas. I got a 32, and that got me into A&M, where I wanted to go. I had very few extracurricular activities, except for sports, and it didn't affect me. I know that in Texas, I believe the top 10% of each graduating high school class are automatically allowed into any public university. So, your test scores are not as important as other states.

Personal opinion time here, but experience is the most important item that employers look for. Education is good and all, but it won't get you that dream job usually.

I never cared for college, and I truly think I would have been better off without it...I could have had 5 years (how long I was in college to get my Chemical Engineering degree) of working experience, but in this world, you need that piece of paper that says you graduated from so-and-so college. It doesn't matter that you probably know mainly theory rather than practical stuff.

I just know I would take someone with experience doing a job over a college graduate without any experience...that is just me. Of course, I am probably jaded based on my own experiences...LOL...

Later all...

Play under the names...Darlon Jeel, The Ghost, The Spirit, and <NSA>Whatever
PondScm007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleh im doing alot of that college finding stuff now... still have yet to take the SAT's, for a month or two anyway... i got a 1280 in on the PSATs, but ive heard thats not quite SAT stuff on it...unfortunate for me though, i thought it was hella easy and was quite ...tired... taking it heh...

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: