FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Remember my video card?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Remember my video card? Reply with quote

Remember back when I was asking for help with it?

Well... I just took it to a guy today, who showed me how to get it out and all... unfortunately, I'm sorry to say, you were all wrong... reseating it did nothing, because... the fan is broken. He says it looks like the fan probably hasn't been running for a few months. He got it unstuck (partially, it's not totally better..) so it is now, but it's already done perminant overheating damage to the card. He says it needs to be replaced entirely. So it's still running with the black lines now, but he says it will stop entirely within another month or so. Here's the dilemma, I have nearly the best card that you can get, made pre-XP. Problem is, all the new ones require XP. (The geforce 4's do, right?) And, from what I've heard, installing XP onto a used system is not exactly very happy...
(Plus, I just plain don't like XP. The taskbar is all... 3d and bubbly.. and no, that's just not right...)
blehh... so this means im gonna have to spend the money for a new card, and it wont even be any better than the old one...
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that, All *NEW Geforce videocards* need XP to run ? If so, I think that this is total BS and a monopoly between Microshaft and Nivida at that if you ask me! If your not, well then, opp's!
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember my video card? Reply with quote

Goldom wrote:
(Plus, I just plain don't like XP. The taskbar is all... 3d and bubbly.. and no, that's just not right...)

Goldom you can change the taskbar by right clicking the desktop, point to apperance, and change it to windows classic style. You'll have the old Windows 98 look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! you serious?!

..I think I just lost all hate for winXP then, the bubbly thing was really the worst part

and, I was actually just about to come ask you all about the xp thing...

I KNOW I read somewhere that geforce 4 ti's required win XP.. but in looking around online, they do not have that as a requirement.. so now I have no idea. They do, however, say they require a 300w power supply, which , ..u m... i have no idea... is there a way to check what mine is?
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvida gefore 4ti 98, me, xp, 2000 pro compliant per the box for mine.

DK
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woahh, cool, I can get one then! and if i do end up getting a new computer, i can just get a bad card in it, and move it from this comp to that one then!

how about other thing though... anyone know how to find out what the size of the power supply is? I read in someone's review that theirs wasn't big enough, but it worked anyway, is that true?
Goldom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to add, im out of town right now, and on a computer with xp, and you're right, you can change it back to the old style!
one thing though, can you change the ie buttons? these new ones are nto happy...

still need answer to power queistion too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: