FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Things I've noticed about MGs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this post is about going against MGs. I'll do another later about most effective use of MGs.

The Tesla coil is most engineers favorite MG. In reality it has a number of weaknesses but is by far the most dramatic kill ! Spy or Scout upgrade it.

1) It doesn't kill a fully upgraded HW in one shot.
2) It's range is limited. You can get closer than with a SG.
3) It takes a bit to get charged and strike.
4) It takes a little longer to RE-charge.
5) It is effected by team damage, so put it between you and the NME. When they shot at you they will be damaging the MG as well.
6) If you get up close the blast will take it with you.
7) With a little skill you can move into range, toss nades and get back before it fires.
When you attack in a group, and you should, keep a little distance between yourselves and it won't get more than 1 of you.
9) The demo or HW special nades are perfect for multiple MGs.
10) take at least 1 shot at every engy. They need all of their armor to make a MG.

The guided missle is made by the Sniper. This has a good deal more range than the tesla is slow moving but twists and turns to follow the target.

1) Fires more frequently than tesla.
2) Find things to get between you and the missle. Walls NMe etc.
3) It can't do sharp angles, but you can.
4) Usually can be taken out from a distance by snipe etc.
5) Faster classes can dodge the missles easily.
6) 2nd favorite MG but not usually positioned properly.

Rocket launchers are easy to dodge. I've run up to them shooting the NMe around them and the jumped over them and kinda straffed them like a SG.

Gren launchers only get you if you are surprised by them or very unlucky. Keep moving and you should avoid the nades easily. Most engies destroy them themselves so you see very few of these in play.

Ok that is all for now. Still dealing with the kids. Hard to concentrate. Anyone else have some insightfull TIP type info to share.

PLEASE RESTRICT RESPONSES TO APPROPRIATE TIP INFO

Thx
Demented Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offensive spys should be dropping a gas grenade or two where engies tend to build MG's. I have found this to be a great tactic used against me when I am trying to build MG's. I think spys are too concerned with the airstrike that may or may not work that they forget the good ole gas grenade. I'm not sure excactly how long the gas grenade is effective for,(I never timed it)something like 7-10 seconds, but it keeps the engies away from the choke points long enough for a teamate to cap.

I have seen Soldiers use nail grenades with great effectiveness. Bouncing them off walls around a corner. Same thing with the HW's mirvs and Demo's pipebombs. There are many ways to skin this cat.

Edited to include

There is a mod that was added during the latest upgrade to TFC that no one but a few are using. Does anyone remember Voicecomm? Bada Bing and I use it quite often when we are on the same team and tell our teamates where the defensive MG's, SG's, NMY concentrations are and plan an attack on them. I am not sure why we haven't used this more to our advantage. Its like everyone is saying that the telegragh is better than the telephone.

Voicecomm
Learn it
Love it
USE IT!

It takes 23 muscles to frown, but only 6 muscles to pull the pin on a hand grenade. :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Demented Avenger on 2001-12-05 18:43 ]
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good point about the gas nades and others ...especially when you remember that an Engy requires all his armor to create the MG ghost. Anything that slows down the creation of the MG is good. Defenses tend to rely heavily on them, sometimes to the point of forgeting about making SGs.
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally take advantage of the new lack of skill I find. I take a back way and hit them from behind. Note that this is EXTREMELY difficult and requires immense stealth, calculation, and timing. Something every good spy should know is the range and recharge rate of the mgs. As a spy I find that large packs of teslas are pitifully easy to hit from behind, but at the great expense of being chased by an equally annoying pack of engineers. The difficulty in taking them out is immense and only a handful of spies here are effective enough to do it and get out alive. Snipers are an immense help, they kill mgs in one hit but they never get enough support from their teammates. I find myself not playing here often because of the pitiful amount of communication and teamwork that were present a few months ago. I think I can speak for a large majority of the regs that have been here for a long time when I say that I miss the good old days of avanti.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Demented Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bak

I believe there is another post for personal feelings about the Neo Mod. This is the tip section and lets respectivly keep it that way.

Bada Bing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to few people use the voicecommunication.It helps in every aspect of the game except for the occasional ass who you can easily mute.Gas grenades are not used enough.They are great to take away enemy sniper positions,choke points,and engineers building spots I get the most annoying spy almost everyday so watch out I know how to use gas grenades Mgs can be killed long range with primary weapons or with sneaky airstrikes.Knowing the location of mgs/sgs and traveling in squads is how TFC is supposed to be played anyway.This /skill or /Llama as I should bind a key to kills the meaning of TFC which is to live or die together/win or lose together.I have seen many a team get their ass handed to them as some guy types /skill all the time.Offense or defense either way if you are typing you or your "teamate" is getting killed /Llama One more good reason for voicecomm for info on enemy and another good reason not to type /skill all the time.

[ This Message was edited by: Bada Bing on 2001-12-05 20:48 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: