FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Damn it! Someone please help!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliotRosewater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...here's the problem:

I let a "friend" borrow my Half-Life CD never to see it again. I reformatted my drive later on without saving anything. I borrowed JCOM's Half-Life and installed it which has worked fine until recently. Now, when I try to play on TheVille when JCOM is playing, I get "CD key already in use". Fine. I went out and bought another copy. I have uninstalled Half-Life and deleted all the mods and even the Sierra folder. I even went so far as to delete the shortcuts off my desktop. Whenever I try to install Half-Life it says "Reinstall" and doesn't ask for the new CD key. Therefore, I'm still using JCOM's CD key and cannot play when he is playing. Where in the F is the CD key stored? Better yet, how can I install the new Half-Life CD with the new CD key?
{BGS}GLOOMIE357

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, this happened to me before. I lend my key to a fellow clans men and i told him to get his own copy. As far as the CD key, this is what i did: Once finished installing, jump into the regular halflife game NOT TFC. Once you double click the icon or go into the game, it should automatically prompt you to enter the CD key. From then on, everything should be smooth sailing.
EliotRosewater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have posted that I expected that to happen and it didn't. I did exactly that and no prompt for the CD key. Another note: thinking that the key might be stored in the Sierra Utilities, I tried to delete it also. I got a "cannot delete with products installed" message. I deleted all Sierra products off my machine (or so I thought) and still got the same message. What the hell? Is Gordon Freeman camping in my computer?
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use regedit and search for Sierra, and wipe all instances of Sierra off. Your CD key is stored in your registry.

Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me with ROOFCUTTER. I lost the other copy of half life but we finialy found it. I had to use his CD KEY while we were looking for my copy and when I tried to join the one with him in it it would not let me and when his comp was completly shut off I still could not get it to let me in. And now I have my own CD Key so from now on I am free from that messge.

Hey I have just put a rocket in you weeee lil head from the sniper right or was that from my sg that just shoved a rocket or two down you throut and are gonna blow in 5 sec 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

Thanks
KillerRoofcutter

[ This Message was edited by: KillerRoofcutter on 2001-11-09 19:58 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only conclusion is that its Jcom's Fault. I think we should all go pyro, hunt him down and roast him as a sick form of revenge.

Burn Baby Burn!!!!
Fire Fire Fire!!!!

Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with JD we all hunt down Jcom and fry him good.
By the way JD I've noticed a post everywhere I've been from you.....
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right Roof, I am back and I am going to try to regain my title as the most prolific poster (Which you took from me while I was away on vacation in October and was unable to post).

Lol.

Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha you were only gone a weekend LOL
EliotRosewater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the regedit, I deleted everything Sierra, Half-Life, TFC, CS, and DoD and STILL no prompt for the CD key. What the hell? Any more ideas? I can't believe this is so damn difficult.
thewz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always reformat. or you can bash your computer in with a crowbar, either way should help

FingerDemon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowbar!!! Crowbar!! YEAAAAHHHHH!!!!

I'm sorry... what we're we talking about?

Oh yeah, your CD key. Actually, I know this sounds crazy, but why don't you call Sierra or email them for some support? I mean if you bought it fair and square twice already you are one of their better customers, right? They can probably tell you how to get rid of all previous references and install a good registered copy. Haven't tried Sierra or Valve about this kind of thing before myself but I would think they would want you to do it the right way and not get some Key generator instead.

FingerDemon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: