FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scripts? What the hell are they? (Trigger Speaks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use a script?
Yes?
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
I think I'll pass thank you.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torak..

You still have a bound key for that script that you supplied, I was refering to a script where it auto reloads without having to press a key. PERIOD !

As for the player that never ran out of rockets, sure he may have been hitting reload after each shot he fired, thats why I never posted any sort of complaint or pm'd an admin for clarification... it was more the lack of time between the rockets that had my attention..

Ap.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my post again or go try it out. The only key you have to have bound is the one you press when you die (since you were in the +reload act and never sent the -reload the game will not let you do anything else until you complete the -reload act).
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ktulu, those engy tools you are using sound more like binds to me. I wouldn't call them scripts. You bound "build SG" to a key, that's just a bind really. The only thing I use that is even close to that is one button for specials and one button for detonating MG's. I still use the old fashion menu to build SG's. Call me old school I guess.

I will say this, any key that is set up to do more than one action at one time is the lowest level of cheating. IMHO. ie, rocket jump scripts (even though they are worthless). Anything that allows you to "better control or release" a grenade is just as lame. IF you say, "it only frees up a key to make it more useful", well. . .uh. . . that only proves the point that the script is helping you. If it wasn't helping you, you would not be using it. If you have "help" that others do not, well you have an advantage. It's just that simple. Half the fun of playing this game for me was "learning" how to do everything better on my own. When I learned how to strafe, run, prime, shoot, aim, and jump all at once (with 6 different keys) I was proud of myself. My practice paid off.

I know many who use scripts and when I see them with insane K/D ratios, I know they are not playing with 100% basic skill like the rest of us. Thus, they get no repect from me as for their "abilities". If it helps you out even once, you gained an advantage.

I am not pointing fingers at anyone. This is just my opinion and I am sticking to it. Thx
Blown

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference it makes to me is instead of fighting and constantly hitting the R for reload it acts like im doing it while moving around. As for the soldier that seemed like he didnt run out of rockets, the script that I use acts just like you would be hitting a key for reload. Once you use 4 rockets you still have to wait to get the 5th one loaded before you use it. I'm still having to hit a key to reload its just more automated I guess you could say. Further more I asked the MAN if it was ok to use it prior to ever adding it to my configs, if I'm told otherwise that its not ok anymore I'd remove it. Anyhow, its the only script I use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torak.. I miss your point,

KRG - You summed it up far better than I did.

Torak, read KRG's post since you disagree with mine, any script that gives you an advantage, whether you press a key on resapwn or not is an advantage, and therefore in MY opinion is LAME, whether you agree or not, its not going to change my opinion, and I am certainly not going to waste my time searching for scripts to try and prove a point.

Ap.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if we are concerned with someone having an "advantage" over someone and it not being a total skill vs skill battle I guess we'll have to police everyone and take away their great video cards/connections/etc. as it won't be fair to those who do not have them.

Some scripts do give you a slight advantage over someone else. Most scripts are stupid and aren't worth the time of day (rocket, conc, etc.) However, I have no problem going against someone that uses and auto reload script and getting killed. They obviously had more skill than me and I'll just have to get better to beat them.

I don't understand how you can say its an unfair advantage when you can freely dload/make these scripts for yourself. I think I only have one script loaded. I wrote a script that allows me to build/det a disp with the same key. Everyone else can do the same, but it's not like my disp is being built any faster. I used to simply have a bind for det dispenser and I can say the script is only nice in that it allows you to better place your dispenser where you want it to go. Personally I don't think that it's diminshed my "skill" any.

KRG I'm right with you bud. I use the ole menu to build my SG. Just can't seem to find a good button to assign that to. Heh :p

What most bothers me about KRG's post is where he says that he doesn't respect those who use a script. It is not cheating! Why does it lower them in your eyes? Half-Life was meant to be a customizable game, they have just done more customization. I respect all players good or not as long as they don't cheat.

Seesh people...getting me all rilled up.
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torak,

I guess its a state of mind, I would not even dream of looking for, or downloading a script, its not the way I think... to me its not part of the game, if it was Valve would have simply included it.

I play with what I get with Half-life, whenever they update it, I don't go looking to additional help by downloading scripts.

Ap.
Ktulu

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post my configs (not scripts... thanks dad) for all to see and use.

I have been planning on doing this for awhile but the Cup software took my attention away.
I'll be adding a section to my free webspace here at the ville with config tips/tricks along with binds I use and have written for people.

Does the auto-reload for the soldier make you 1337? No! I suck as a soldier and it only reloads when I press the jump key because the default reload key is no where near where my hands are when I'm playing.
Before you say all config alterations are cheeting you should try them yourself first so you really know what your talking about. They really don't give you the advantage you think.
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ktulu - then why use them ??? it has to give you some advantage as you doing things that others are not..

As for being "L33t", that is one thing I have never claimed and never will.

Ap.
Blown

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not like the reload script does any targeting for you. 99% of the time you dont even need a 5th rocket to kill ppl anyhow, if you use your nades and rockets going against any class the reload feature affects skill in no way. If lets say I go against a hw with rockets only I will use my 4 rockets, duck behind a corner while a 5th loads. Now your telling me that I'm getting an advantage cause it reloaded automatically? You really dont think that by me moving behind that wall after using 4 rockets that I'm not going to hit my key for reload with out the script. Obviously I was aware I was out of rockets and needed to get one ready for another shot. I guess since I didnt hit that R for reload I have no skill now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blown

We are talking about two different things. it sounds more like you have bound a key for reload instead of the default right mouse button.

I'm talking about any script that is used to reload without the player having to do anythhing, except shoot rockets

Ap.
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has been focusing on Rockets for the Soldier because it was in an early post. The real difference would be a reloading script for the Super Shotty. If I'm running around as Spy/Soldier/Medic/Engineer/HW blasting away with my Super Shotty it would be real nice for it to reload automatically. There's nothing worse than running into a room full of NME and hearing your Super Shotty go click click. I don't use scripts so I was just curious what purpose there was in doing so. I have keybinds for detting dispensers and such but most people probably do. I personally you scroll down on my trackball to reload. Makes it real easy to reload on the run with look for a seperate key. Ktulu has a point about advantages of hardware/connection. Because of my hardware and connections in the office and at home I typically have between a 30 and 80 ping. If I snipe it gives me an advantage over the medic with a 200 ping but I still have to aim and use some skill to kill him. Since I play pyro frequently the biggest difference for me is flaming HWs to death. If they have a higher ping it makes it easier for me to run circles around them. Of course with Swift it seems to be fifty-fifty whether I get her or she gets me. I wonder if Trigger knew how much debate this would cause.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is what Torak posted. When I join a game I hit my R button once. From then on after shooting it will try to reload. If I die I have to hit the R button to respawn. So no, I'm not hitting any keys to reload, but again I still have to wait for a rocket to be loaded before using it.

OBTUSE OF KILAAK

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SILEE HEWMANZ

Last edited by OBTUSE OF KILAAK on Wed May 08, 2002 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who taught this KILAAK to speak english? Me thinks we have a traitor in our ranks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: