FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oh sure, blame the server...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(previously posted on our old message board)

Why is it so laggy here?? I got dsl/cable and my ping should be better than this... blah...blah...The answer.. It's not the server!!
People seem to forget how convoluted and complex the Internet actually is.
About 15 days ago.. My ping skyrocketed to 300-400 while in game.. How could this be!! I only live 7 miles from the damn thing!! I proceded to whip out my handy traceroute progam and waalaa™*.. There was my problem.
A router that my connection goes through was overloaded..
What alot of people don't realize is that your connection goes through a series of routers and switches and if one of these devices is overloaded or not working correctly, everything craps out giving you a shitty ping.
There have been a few occasions when our line was the culprit, but that's rare.. Here are 2 ways to see if it's our problem or your problem.
1)If you get on the server and everyones' ping is high.. meaning nobody below 75ms.. Then there is either something wrong with our
server/router/switch.
2)If you get on the server and everyones' ping is normal except yours, the problem lies somewhere on your side of the fence.
If your having problems with your latency I strongly suggest using a Trace route program that maps out your connection. I use VisualRoute.. It actually plots the course on a map that your data is taking to get from point A to point B.

Here is a screen shot I took from the program that traces my route from my home computer to stats.clarkgraphics.com. Remember I only live 7 miles away from the server.

They have a 30 day trial if your intrested. You can download it at http://www.visualroute.com.

**waalaa - is a registered trademark of Robert E. Lee

Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob I really like that program much better than Tracert or ping already located in your windows computer. You can find them at START/PROGRAMS/ACCESORIES/MSDOS PROMPT
Type in.. tracert(space)66.35.137.251
don't type in the numbers after the : it won't like that. than hit enter and it gives you the same info minus map and actual names of places. This is TV1 IP you can use any IP you like just remember to hit the spacebar between writing and the IP number.
Type ping (space)than IP address and you get ping and packet loss. But why bother the other one rocks.

Here's one thing I've noticed since the new patch. I have the ping information bar in lower right cornor on and I'm using the one that has the colored vertical bars. Before the patch the activity went way up when the action got heavy lots of spikes and solid fill ins. Now whith the 1.1.0.8 patch this bar is greatly subdued with no solid coloring just a smattering of dots. I wonder if this is because they have refined there information exchange to make room for voice or has the graph program been changed? I"ll have to check the numbers now but before I was averaging high 70's in and 30ish out.

Robert you really TMed WAALAA??

[ This Message was edited by: ROOFCUTTER on 2001-09-22 15:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ROOFCUTTER on 2001-09-23 00:59 ]
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This program is awesome it puts a radio button on your browser and when you go some where and want to know where they are at Just click and the program runs and pops up the map and info. I'll probably send them money when my 30 days are up.
Thanks Robert

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: