FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DoD or DoD:S crashes when it gets to MOTD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrontiumDog
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: DoD or DoD:S crashes when it gets to MOTD Reply with quote

Been having a problem with my system for a while. The computer would load up DoD:S and then as soon as it connected to The Ville, and the MOTD came up, the game would crash with looping sounds. Eh?

Recently, it has been doing it with DoD1.3 too! Load up The Ville on either TV3 or TV5 and then crash straight to desktop with no error message, as soon as the MOTD came up.

So I changed my graphics card and the sound card. Didn't really help matters except now I get 80-100fps in Source instead of 30-50!

Then reading casually on steampowered.com, I came across a short entry saying that Steam did not support IE7.

Wait a minute...I had IE7 beta 3....MOTD uses a browser....d'oh!
Then I went to another server and they had an MOTD that came up as an IE page not found screen.... *click* d'oh!

So I uninstalled IE7, updated IE6 and everything began working again. Eh?

Now I use Firefox. I miss IE7. I really preferred the interface, the tabs, the favourites panel. Firefox feels a little outdated....but it works!

"Oh Smeg! What the smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me!" Lister, Red Dwarf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Agent X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive also been having this problem recently. I figured it was because I needed more Ram. I will update my IE and see if this fixes it. (so if you have seen me crashing alot recently when I enter the server, this is why )
preacherman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have IE7 Beta 2 - seems to work fine - tho does minimise sometimes when rules page starts up - but doesn't hang - I have a few progs running in background so that might affect that.

At least u got a nice new graphics card out of it (and a sound card 2)

Thank U again StrontiumDog for Sig
StrontiumDog
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an after thought, I've been using Firefox all afternoon, and although it's quirky, I'm liking it.
Have installed the All-in-One sidebar and Tab X....now it's starting to feel like IE7!
Also changed my theme to MacFox! Nice Apple look...all gels...!

"Oh Smeg! What the smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me!" Lister, Red Dwarf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
FUSE
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the Noia 2.0 theme myself I didnt like friefox at first. I had tried it a long time ago and didn't like it so i uninstalled it. I started using it again about two months ago and I've gotten used to it. Although some things don't work on Firefox like they do IE, that problem rarely occurs. I also enjoy the password remembering feature where you can choose to have firefox remember your password for sites so that all you've got to do is click the login button. I got used to Firefox.....not so bad.

FUSE.TVR -V$-
preacherman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: spoke toooo soon Reply with quote

same prob as Strontium (tho why it took 24hrs longer to affect me I don;t know) got rid of ie7 and went back to ie6 all is good

Thank u Strontium for your help and support (*&^%$$^&(&^%$#%er)

Thank U again StrontiumDog for Sig
.Nazi.Slaya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happens to me with normal dod every once in a while...but never for dods. I have IE7 b3 installed but I used FireFox as my main browser (i also have Opera 9 installed but i dont use it).

[deviantART] [Portfolio] [Able 6]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: