FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wondering about some of the rules
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeaconFrost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Wondering about some of the rules Reply with quote

Im sure this has come up plenty of times, and forgive me for bringing it back up. I was curious about a few of the rules for the ville. I understand why you would have most of these rules but there are a few in question that i was wondering about.

Boosting - I was wondering about this one because what if its used to get into a place that normally would be accessable but is no longer at the time. IE: on Kalt if the boxes in a courtyard get destroyed, you can boost your buddy over ur own wall to cap a flag to prevent an all cap w/out having to destroy the wall. I mean after all, it isnt entirely unlikely that a person would help another get over something.

Spawn Camping - I'm glad i dont have to worry about it, but alot of times call for a little spawn camping. Like if your trying to hold off the enemy team for an all cap. Or like on escape or charle, where your actually able to/supposed to mortar and shoot into the enemy respawn.

Just a little food for thought, i'd really love to debate this if u feel strongly about ur opinion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boosting is fairly simple, its considered boosting when you cant normally get to a spot by yourself (with no assistance). Boxes in Kalt are ok IMHO, but other spots in other maps that require help are naughty.

Spawn camping....Its shooting into a spawn, period, unless the map is designed that way. So, for example Charlie is a campingish map with the Axis camping on the Allies to a point, so thats ok. Now, if you were on the allies and hung around a spawn point for the Axis and mowed em down when they spawned, well, thats wrong and would get you banned fast.

Anzio is a problem too where people shoot down into the respawns as people spawn, also the Allies on the bridge should not camp the ramp exit from the Axis base, here at the Ville we consider that spawn camping as there is no real way for people to defend themselves.

Yes, the Axis could go another way to get out, but um, its a pub server and most dont think of those things, or the other exits are camped too.... That gets nasty and the bans can be handed out in high quantities

If any of the other admins wishes to add their 2 bits worth I wouldnt be offended at all.... (acutally, I am pretty much always offended, but thats ok) 8-D
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't boosting on Kalt defeat the purpose of the boxes being destroyed?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StrontiumDog
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely put, JD!

"Oh Smeg! What the smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me!" Lister, Red Dwarf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DeaconFrost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:
Doesn't boosting on Kalt defeat the purpose of the boxes being destroyed?

By destroying the boxes you would leave the other team with fewer options. They still could do the boosting if the boxes were there, it just wouldnt be as nessary.

JD, the way you described it definatlly clears some things up. The way i figure it is if your going to boost, its just like in RL if u were to give them a foot up to someplace.

As far as spawn camping goes, i dont really see a prob with it as long as u dont go overboard with it. Like if you can actually see them appear in spawn, then dont shoot cuz they dont even have a chance to react obvious exception is charlie). Dont toss nades into spawn, thats kinda cheap, yet again no real time to react and even moreso where are they gonna go for cover?

From the view of those being camped. You are much closer to allies who can help and mount an offense twards the camper and he couldnt be further. Not only that but he is going to constantly be running low on ammo, and your going to know where he is.

I understand both sides of the fence here, the main one im kinda pushing twards for a leniency for is boosting and as for the SC-ing goes well i just wanted to see if there was some level of understandability for it.... i think that makes sense... gah im tired

The Tiju

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree wit stevo on the boosting...if u get rid of the boxes u gotta blow the wall, thats why we blow up the boxes...

spawn campin is pretty simple to figure out...self defence is the only exeption i tihnk

"Never Fear The Tiju is Here"
nightcrawler
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree w/ stevo...the reason why boxes are destroyed is both for an advantage and disadvantage purpose depending on which team you are on...
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted I play source, but here is my thoughts.

I do not consider bosting to be a expliot within reason. If you were ment to get into the area, I dont care how you get there. If you are not ment to get to a spot and you use boosting to get there, then it is a issuse. These boxes you speak of, I look at it this way, if the boxes are destroyed, it now takes teamwork (since you would have to work together to boost) to acomplish what was previousely something you can do on your own. It does not defeat the reason for destroying the boxes, as it still prevents people from just rushing over the spot, as now they have to wait for a team mate to help them, therefor buying the other team time to prepare
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to counter george and perhaps bring up some other points. if its blown up for a reason and you boost to get past it i'll warn and kick and eventually do a short ban if need be. the example is nice but with that logic that would mean its okay to boost over the fence on glider after the bridge is blown. to which i usually put up a tsay with something to the extent of " the bridge is blown for a reason" now the courtyards in kalt are a little different, boosting over a wall i don't usually allow if i see it because well the boxes are blown for a reason. you can then blow the wall and get through again but its another objective to achieve. boosting up onto the box i usually let slide because its not an area you woulnd't normally be able to get to, just higher and it is easily destroyed anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replica wrote:
to counter george and perhaps bring up some other points. if its blown up for a reason and you boost to get past it i'll warn and kick and eventually do a short ban if need be. the example is nice but with that logic that would mean its okay to boost over the fence on glider after the bridge is blown. to which i usually put up a tsay with something to the extent of " the bridge is blown for a reason" now the courtyards in kalt are a little different, boosting over a wall i don't usually allow if i see it because well the boxes are blown for a reason. you can then blow the wall and get through again but its another objective to achieve. boosting up onto the box i usually let slide because its not an area you woulnd't normally be able to get to, just higher and it is easily destroyed anyways.

well put...i

"Never Fear The Tiju is Here"
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i have a question in the wheel house i havent tried to get up thru the middle of it from sewers but can you do it alone or do you need a boost to get up there, i see a lot of ppl come and kill me when im camping the opposing door for it but i cant figure out if they ran from my side to get there or if they got up thru the middle, so clear this up for me do you need to be boosted up from the middle or can you get up there by yourself?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ George wrote:
Granted I play source, but here is my thoughts.

I do not consider bosting to be a expliot within reason. If you were ment to get into the area, I dont care how you get there. If you are not ment to get to a spot and you use boosting to get there, then it is a issuse. These boxes you speak of, I look at it this way, if the boxes are destroyed, it now takes teamwork (since you would have to work together to boost) to acomplish what was previousely something you can do on your own. It does not defeat the reason for destroying the boxes, as it still prevents people from just rushing over the spot, as now they have to wait for a team mate to help them, therefor buying the other team time to prepare

Ok so when someone boost somebody up on the wall on Donner and the person is pretty much invisable it's ok ?. This is the reason for no boosting as there are several maps with this glitch. These areas were getting exploited all the time. This is why the no boosting rule came into effect. There are alot of areas that can be exploited. Some have been fixed, but most still remain. This is why i support the no boosting rule it keeps the game fair and the playing field even. If one team can boost to a spot to where they can't be touched it's not to even or fair anymore.
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaker's Xeno wrote:
ok i have a question in the wheel house i havent tried to get up thru the middle of it from sewers but can you do it alone or do you need a boost to get up there, i see a lot of ppl come and kill me when im camping the opposing door for it but i cant figure out if they ran from my side to get there or if they got up thru the middle, so clear this up for me do you need to be boosted up from the middle or can you get up there by yourself?

They have to be boosted
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpleman wrote:
Speaker's Xeno wrote:

They have to be boosted

Sometimes I go through the serwers and enemy courtyard to get there. I've tried going through that hole myself, but there's no way to do it without a boost.

I don't think boosting was meant to happen on any map. It just doesn't seem natural for a soldier in full gear to be able to stand on someone's head while holding a gun. This is a war, not a circus!

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about boosting to get onto the box to deploy MG?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: