FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DOD on laptops? What y'all got?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfoot hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: DOD on laptops? What y'all got? Reply with quote

Hi there! I was wondering how many play on laptops? I am considering buying a new one and wondering what video card is sufficient to play DOD source. There are so many to choose from.

My Sony Vaio fxa48 won't even play 1.3. so its time to uprgrade! I travel on my job and often go weeks without a game. It would be nice to blow off a little steam and chuck some righteous nades when i'm out of town.

I was looking at a HP Pavillion with a go7200 256meg and an Amd Sempron3200. I'm thinking this should handle anything I'd like to do to it. I also have a home recording studio where I make weird demented DEVO inspired "music" and run Cubase and Acid Pro. I'm not to worried about drive space since I use FW externals for recording.

I would love to hear of others' laptop configurations (and maybe what not to do), it would be very helpful to me. Alright guys, good gaming!!

Homer Simpson
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running DoD:S off an Alienware Area-51M 7700 and it holds up pretty well. My graphic settings are on medium to high and gameplay isnt affected by it. Playing 1.3 is a breeze on it. I've had the laptop for the last couple of years and love it. It has outstripped all my other desktops so far in terms of reliability and bootup/processing speed.

It does run pretty hot (I've singed the hair on my thighs already... j/k) and it's about a 17lb load in your bag if you're including all your accessories like battery pack, mouse, pad, change of clothes (since you mentioned you travel).

I wouldn't hesitate to get another unit if I had to do it again. So long as Alienware isn't adulterated by Dell in the process of the latter's buyout.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vaio s460 will run source...just, lowest settings etc.

1.3 Pentium-M, half gig ram, not so hot graphics card.

I intend on putting another half gig of ram in soon.
bigfoot hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanx!

I was looking into Alienware laptops, of course cost is a factor. they do have some models that seem reasonable in price for performance. Help is greatly appreciated.

Homer Simpson
Mister X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until last December I played DoD and Source on a laptop I purchased in August 2003. It is an e-machines. It cost about $1100 and still works pretty damn well (except for the hard drive I replaced). I could only get around 25 - 30 fps with every graphics option turned off.

I suggest just searching for the best laptop you can find for your price range. Just do a little research and make sure they don't throw in some PoS graphics card.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played Source a few times on a Dell laptop with:
2.6 GHz P4
512MB RAM
Geforce 4 Go 64MB

If that can run it, than any good laptop you can find now should run it. Just get at least 1GB of RAM and a good video card.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Tiju

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Dell inspiron 6000

i can play 1.3 perfectly w/o no troubles at all, except for the fact that my "borrowed" wireless sux...

check out the Dell XPS...my bro has it and it seems amazing.

"Never Fear The Tiju is Here"
bigfoot hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my roommate just bought a Dell XPS. Works and looks great with all the LEDs and polished looking metal case, but sweet lord ! What a beast to lug around! I geuss it is a "desktop replacement" and weighs 17lbs or something nutty. That bastard has lots of money and buys all kinds of toys and motorcycles and stuff to make me jealous.

My Sony Vaio should run 1.3, its not that old. Maybe I could turn down some settings and give it a whirl.

Homer Simpson
l3eeron
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a laptop about 2 months ago.

15.4 LCD
2.12 GHZ pentium
1 gig RAM
100 gig 7,200
WIFI/LAN
DVDRW

anyway, it runs everything good, including dod:s.

...One suggestion, buy USB mouse n keyboard to game with.

eternalVillealliance
cmon
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP/Compaq nx9600(17" widescreen)

very heavy, runs hot

P4 3.6GHz w/2 GB RAM & 100Gig drive

Overall it runs ok. Frame rates in source are not that great even with medium to low graphics settings. Of course this is about a year old now or so....can't remember....it's tough getting old....CMON!

Oh yeah, got any samples of that DEVO inspired music? Whip it, Into Shape, Go Forward, Move Ahead, Try to Detach it! It's not to late, to WHIP IT....WHIP IT GOOD!

Bleeding Tomato
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emachine Athlon 64 3000+
512 DDR 3200
Radion 9600 128mb

Runs great but like most machines source is tuff on it. Really heats up the computer (Don't play source while it's on your lap but if I remember correctly I got about 40-50 FPS on low settings. Not great but playable. It was great for Vegas VilleBash IV.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: