FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hardware vs Net

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering what the prevailing opinion is regarding what contributes most towards TFC gaming performance: the hardware (CPU, RAM, video, etc.) or net connection (cable, DSL, and distance from server)?
Debating whether it is time to break the 1.5GHZ/266MHZ Bus barrier.
Thanks...............Verman

John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it depends on existing hardware I guess.

A decent machine helps, Say 800mhz or faster, lots of ram never hurts, a clean system, not cluttered with lots of other things running in the background while you play really helps. A good video card makes the game much more enjoyable. DSL or Cable really helps too, anything is better than dialup.

JD
anthrex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx alot. i dont have any of those. i have 600mhz comp, 64 mb of ram, and a 56k modem. on top of that my vide car (geforce2 mx) doesnt seem to work to well with my compusa computer. oh well. still able to kick peoples a**
anthrex
Axa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthrex, cable or the equivalent is a must - I enjoy cable - seldom with a ping of over 70. I am told it may be becos I am not so far away from the server in Alabama (I am in Charlotte, NC) - anyone know if this is a factor ?

http://www.melenie.com
The Axacam® - Now more popular than pr0n
LilBigCip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is axa usually the closer you are the better.

BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion its the connection. Cuz my comp is only a 350MHz with 64 megs of ram. if i remember correctly my video card is 32 megs...but i am on a local area network thru my apartment complex and ping is never a problem anymore. also how far you are from the server is very important too. like on TV III i get good pings cuz i am in austin, tx and its in dallas, tx...hell on this other server i was playing on that is in houston i checked my ping and it got down to 6 at one point...i thought it was amazing...but you get my point...
Robbie

Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live 5 miles from the server and I still go through 13 hops!! But overall, the closer the better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 56k to DSL which tests out at about 1000/200 kbps. I didn't see much performance increase. I lived real close to my ISP when I was on dialup and got pings about the same as with DSL (around 100 ms).

But even so, my game gets choppy sometimes when there is a lot of action on the screen.
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of thought as much. My system is an Athlon 950, 256MB RAM, Asus GeF2 GTS, and a cable modem. But coming from the west coast, my ping usually is 200-300 early evening, near 100 at late night. It was nice when I was one of the few in the neighborhood to have it, but with more people on the line lately, there goes the ping. Oh well, I'll just be an annoying Medic, or a slightly slow engineer.
I'll still plan on building a new system at years end, maybe push that 1.5GHZ/266MHZ barrier a bit, and see what happens.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: