FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Program to find similar files

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Program to find similar files Reply with quote

I am in need of a special program that will search through a folder and subfolders and find files with similar names. The reason for this is that I recently updated my song colloection with my bosses song collection (I work as DJ, so that is alot of music) The problem is there is alot of songs that I already have and I want to clean out the duplicates. I dont want to have to search manually, as there are now over 10,000 songs on my computer in 360 folders. So I just want a program that will automatically find similar files and display them for me. A regular search will not work for me, as that would require me to know what songs are duplicate in advance. If anyone knows of a program like this let me know please
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
v.o.c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure but i think System Mechanic as this feature. http://www.iolo.com/

www.3foottall.com
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't check the link from the last person's post to see what that program does. But there is another way you could go about this too. You can do a search where the program actually looks at file length and does a checksum of the file to see if it is the same as another file. That way, even if the files were not named the same thing, it would still come up as a duplicate. I found a program called DupFiles on Google that does that. It is pretty useful if you need to look for dupes with different file names. Like if your boss ripped music with different file naming settings than you did.

Google for DupFiles or "duplicate file find" and stuff like that. You should find some options.

Hope this helps.

FingerDemon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: