FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Computer, New Problems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Bez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: New Computer, New Problems Reply with quote

Specs To Help
CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.2GHz w/ only 512KB L2...1000FBS HT)
MOBO:DFI Lanparty nForce 4 SLI-DR
GPU:eVGA GeForce 7800GT CO (soon to have 2...i hope)
RAM:Ultra 1024mb Stick low lat....(not running stable with mobo...dfi's do that...forsale for cheap)
HDD:Hitachi 120GB SATA
ROM: LG Dual Layer DVD-RAM, LiteOn CD-RW (LG...dunno about the whole RAM thing...seems to be working ok tho)
PIC:19' Samsung SyncMaster 955DF Dynaflat
PSU:OCZ Powerstream 520watt SLI Ready

Can't get it to run stable, i get the blue screen saying something about physical memory error everytime i am on the computer...and it restarts everytime i leave it for a few hours...like when i am at school i come and it restarted....I think it is the ram. I read that the DFI motherboards are picky about the ram it accepts so i think it is that but if anyone knows how to get it to run stable let me know....I tried uping the voltage to 2.8 but it didn't work. Or if anyone wants to take the ram off my hands so i can buy some new stuff that would be great....the ram is good stuff, 1 stick of 1024MB. I is just not compatable with my mobo.....HELP
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzy, first thing I would do is ensure that the OS is fully patched and updated.

Next, I would ensure you have the latest drivers installed for your videocard, mobo, chipset, soundcard, and everything else.

Now, if you suspect memory see if you can find some thats on DFI's approved list for that mobo and see what happens.

Um, first though ensure that your not doing any form of overclocking, have everything set at stock speeds for the CPU, Memory, Voltages, etc. See if things settle down at all.

Now, if you have tried all that and its still being a POS, then perhaps its time to look at the CPU and motherboard. Hows the temperature? Hows the Heatsink and fan?

Oh, and one other fun one is how is your power supply? You have some real power hungry components there and a cheap no name, or low quality power supply may be the cause of many issues that are hard to pinpoint.

Thats all for now, GL and let me know how things are going.

JD
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check in the BIOS that the MB is set to auto detec the latency of the ram. You might want to also try manually enter the timings (2-4-4-2 or what ever it is).

If that does not work, return the ram as defective. It should have a lifetime warranty.
.Bez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap Noname? OCZ Powerstream is a top of the line PSU...it was recomended at the DFI website....and my mobo needs at least 480 watts power and the GPU needs 450watts to run...I have that all covered....The CPU is running normal heat and everything is running stock....when i install service pack 3 for XP pro it ran a little better but i still have problems...
Rough Justice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question - you do have your 7800 running into the power supply right? Reseat ram- try it with only a single stick too!
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other things I can think of:

If DFI has some form of software that you can load up in Windows to overclock the system, uninstall that. I ahve seen problems that software like that will interfer with the BIOS and make the system unstable even if there is no overclocking going on.

Secondly, make sure the RAM is in the correct spots for running at the dual rate (most of the time 2 sticks of ram will not be in spots next to each other but in every other slot).
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough Justice wrote:
Silly question - you do have your 7800 running into the power supply right? Reseat ram- try it with only a single stick too!

Reseat the ram is a good idea. If he did not have a pcie power connector plugged into the 7800 it would not even boot.
.Bez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read the specs? It is 1 stick...no Dual memory...1 1024MB stick...and there is not overclocking software, it is the award bois which is made for overclocking...and the computer works...just not stable....so yes i have the graphic card plugged in, who do you think i am?
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Bezzy, honest were not trying to give you a hard time, were just sharing suggestions.

But it sounds like you have tried pretty much everything then already with the exception of different memory. Any chance you have access to anther PC that you can swap the memory from? Then see if your memory in the other PC causes issues and see if the memory from the other PC makes yours more stable.

JD
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzy wrote:
Cheap Noname? OCZ Powerstream is a top of the line PSU...it was recomended at the DFI website

BTW, I didnt read the power supply in your first message so I was just rattling things off a mental checklist I have for troubleshooting issues.

But, another thought the does come to mind is to perhaps take your post/question to the forums at Hardocp, or if theres a DFI fan forum somewhere out there perhaps there will be a few experts there to share some thoughts and suggestions.

JD
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a issue like that before and it was simple as updating the USB drivers...lol There are so many varibles that could cause it like a program set to scan, firewall ( I know McAffe had these issue's at one time ) Ultra is a newer brand that has came out recently as I have one of there PS which I love. I did have a issue with the Ultra ram that was in Jr's computer. I replaced it with some Corsair and it stopped his issue's.

Try shutting down your Firewalls and virus protection one of these times when you leave and see if it reboots. A other thing that I have seen cause it is the loading of a screensaver.

Anyways I know with Jr's Ultra ram it would lock up the system all the time and reboot and do whatever it wanted. It seemed that it became corrupt in very short amount of time. I would try a different brand myself as from what I have seen Ultra is not quite up to par for a high end system.
merf
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same board bezzy....I would suggest you put you ram in the orange slot farthest from the cpu. I haven't personally had any memory issues with mine but I have read posts from many who have that suggest using the last orange slot. OH and BTW you might want to lower your mem voltage as it doesn't seem to be helping. Here's a link with a ton of info for your board

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i read to put it in that slot...that is what it is in now...put in the manual it said up to 512 devices...your say that? idk if it is a 1024MB sitck or what...oh and i did read a lot in the street forums...that is how i picked out my PSU
Bull
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following link to disable all XP's services, as suggested from
Steam. Also get you one of the freeware/shareware memory tester pgms on the web and let it run for a while.
Make sure your MOBO is on the latest BIOS. I just got mine,
and it was one level behind already. I applied the latest and my FPS
doubled.

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=423&p_created=1136401332&p_sid=lai8cx_h&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTQmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1zbG93&p_li=&p_topview=1

IF you can't read this, go to Steam's support page, type the word "SLOW" and look
for answer ID 423. I also have the 7800 GT OC. I'm running a 680 watt
supply, more than enuf. Your configuration, according to Nvidia, is min
450 watt. If you plan on 2 7800's, go to 550. More importantly, is the
12V, which requires more amps than most of-the-shelf power supplies
can muster. Use only the suggested memory your MB supports, however
that usually holds true if your going to run 2 DDR sticks.

Sarge
and WalMart Security

"Get-r-Done"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: