FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Map suggestions....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[SACK]Coppatop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Map suggestions.... Reply with quote

as much as I love playing here, playing the same 6 maps over and over again gets boring. The usual rotation seems to go Avalanche -- Strum -- Flash -- Saints -- Northbound -- Kalt -- Avalanche.... with the occaisonal charlie or anzio thrown in there.

How about when the map voting occours, sometimes make the choices all less popular maps, ex viscenia, chemlie, forest, Railroad etc.

Or maybe throw in some custom maps like frenzy or something. Any thoughts on this?
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Map suggestions.... Reply with quote

[SACK]Coppatop wrote:
as much as I love playing here, playing the same 6 maps over and over again gets boring. The usual rotation seems to go Avalanche -- Strum -- Flash -- Saints -- Northbound -- Kalt -- Avalanche.... with the occaisonal charlie or anzio thrown in there.

How about when the map voting occours, sometimes make the choices all less popular maps, ex viscenia, chemlie, forest, Railroad etc.

i want silverone to post his standard reply to this. although there was one post a while ago i've been thinking about

but WHY WHY WHY put less popular maps into a roation? as nice as it is to mix things up and keep regulars happy one of the things we ( and by this i mean they) try to do is constantly bring new people into the ville. the way 4 and 7 work are nice because they arne't a set roation and you get a variation. and maybe you havne't played enough because as ncie as those 6 are, based off the stats i've palyed on 17 different maps in the past week. some i like more than others and some are amazing to play with regs. but if obe comes up i don't like or something then i can hop to 7. or maybe even 5 ( which has a set roation)

rotation and maps seems to be one of the most common threads around here. and all comments are appreciated but the way it is now the server is full a large part of the day and why change that by adding maps that would kill the server?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of a custom maps night or server?
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a night might be a possibility but it woudl have to be set up and have the server ops OK. as far as a custom map server if i recall the one we had got next to no traffic untill it was announced it was gonna be removed. so the chances of that seem to be kinda low.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A custom map night once every 1 or 2 weeks would be great. A list of 4 or 5 maps to get ahead of time would ideal along with advance advertisement on here as well as the servers.

Just depends on having someone that is both willing and able to do it.
sandbag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSArmsLab does something like this for its regular forum goers and supporters... they call it captains night, but same principle... i think that would be neet... have it at a reasonable time so that people can attend but also maintain sociability (aka going out with the peoples)like 8pm est or so on a saturday or sunday would work probably for the majority of the people who would show up... and tell us if new maps will be used so we can get them ahead of time... i'd be down for that... unless im out with mah peoples =p
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Replica

Its very hard to change what is working well for our servers guys, the point is to have them full as much as possible, to keep the players happy and we hope they will visit The Ville at some point. We do read every suggestion and comment and do what we can to make the players happy.

The way our servers are currently set up is working very well. TV4's configuration has been the same since DoD went to steam. It has been one of the top servers in the world for a very long time. It's one of those things... do we mess with it?

We made tv7 the same and tv4. It just works.

TV5 has a set rotation that can change. We set it up like the old TV1 before it went source for those who loved that rotation. TV1 was also one of the top servers. So we know the rotation works.

So you know, our voting system remembers the last 5 maps played so they dont show up in the voting right away. This gives the 2 servers the variety it needs. I know many want to see some of the other maps. But we believe if the majority want to play a certain map... so be it.

To be honest, in my opinion if the players want to play the same maps over and over then it should happen. The voting system won't allow it though. We also get many posts to remove maps, like forest, glider, etc. I usually give the same answer as above. Sorry.. its not going to happen at this time. If most want to play forest.. have fun.

Its very hard to please everyone. That is why we have 3 different servers.

Custom maps? Well.. we have had bad results every time. Not to say it will never happen. I have thought about it. Popping one on tv4 and let it come up in the voting to see what happens. Maybe someday we will.

"STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE" ~Blue Ruler
"Silver is Cheezylicious" ~MErf
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought re: custom maps.
One reason they are so unpopular is the time it takes to download them. I remember at a clan meet I went to we discussed this and someone mentioned that it's better to have a system where the map is downloaded from a location that is not the same as the server (so maybe this website?) - that way the downloads can be faster. Maybe worth looking into.
IamtehsuX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh..Forest....worst....map...ever... #Beer

The one map that i havent seen much of at all in the past 4-5 days, heh, would be Kalt....God, i love that map..
Malanthros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One suggestion I'd like to make is that when the mapvote is nearing, or even while it's happening, type out in all talk the name of the map you want. Or say to both teams prior "Let's pick a map that we usually don't" or something along those lines.

Lots of the villuns will oblige, especially since many of us know who you are coppa, and it works for most regulars. I know I'd vote for the map, unless I absolutely DESPISED it.

And I'd like to say, Charlie is beginning to rub off on me. But ONLY as the allies, and ONLY when the allied snipers are doing a good job picking snipers and mgs off.

Thank you Loka for helping me realize my dream of having a Sig.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greebo wrote:
One reason they are so unpopular is the time it takes to download them. I remember at a clan meet I went to we discussed this and someone mentioned that it's better to have a system where the map is downloaded from a location that is not the same as the server (so maybe this website?) - that way the downloads can be faster. Maybe worth looking into.

TheVille used that system on the custom map servers, but they still didn't get any traffic. I think they still use the off-site downloads...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[SACK]Coppatop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What maps are currently in the vote cycle? Any chance you can add railroad? That's a real fun one that I havent seen on the list.
merf
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greebo wrote:

This is exactly how I configured the DOD:S servers. The source engine also supports bzip compression so I compressed all the custom files. All in all you can now download a map that was around 30-40mb (including custom sounds and textures) in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea everyone loved the TV1 and the rotation but putting custom maps in might sound fun but also, jsut like the regular maps, the new custom maps might clear the server jsut like charlie and forest, donner, etc. Like some people might like the custom maps and some might not so ya! thats my 2 cents!!! but it is a good idea to maybe have liek a custom night or sumthin once a week or sumthin, becuz like u guys said it would change ti up!!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: