FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
new graphics card..but

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: new graphics card..but Reply with quote

Well my new XFX Nvidia 6800GT came in today. So I uninstall the old 5200 and put the new one in. When I turn on my pc all I hear is this loud continous beep sound.
Well after investigating I think I know what it is, my power supply is 250W max. So I assume I am not getting enought power to my card and need a new power supply.
What do you guys think it could be? Any suggestions?
-Rebel

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try rebooting your computer without the card in it. Let it load all the way up without a VC in it. Then shut the system down reinstall the new VC and see what happens. . Also make sure all the old video drivers are removed. Havind old drivers will cause issue's as well. another thing is make sure nothing is touching it and grounding it out and that it is set all the way down in the AGP slot. Hmmm lets see OOOOO make sure that AGP is enabled in your BIOS. If your old card was a PCI card the AGP might be disabled. To get to your bios you have to hit the delete key or F1 when your system boots up. Best way is to keep pressing it from the time you restart your computer.

It might also be diabled in boot INI. or whatever it's called you can access that by hitting F8 on bootup just like you to enter the BIOS. I know my MSI board was like that I could not get a AGP card to ever work on that board untill one day I hit F8 on bootup and there it was AGP disabled....LOL
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 6800GT will have another power connector on it and I would guess that your right. A PC with that sort of card in it should IMHO have a good 400W power supply or more, and a name brand like Enermax or Antec, dont get a cheapo clone power supply for $25, they are crap.

If you have another system to try the card in that may be a good idea too, there is a chance the card may be Fubar and thats why your PC is failing its POST and giving you beep codes.

Last, listen to the beep codes and then check the manufacturer of the motherboards website to translate them. ie) 2 long and 4 short might mean that you have a bad CPU fan, the beep codes you hear should help to track down the source of the problem.

JD
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will definately need a better powersupply, I am actually running a 600w because my 450 did not provide wnough power for everything (granted I have 3 Hard Drives, the Vidcard, 2 CDroms, a Floppy, and 5 fans)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! When Black Hawk turns on his PC the power company can actually see a spike in the power grid for the entire city.

Rumor has it he caused the LA power blackout last week.... ;-P
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bet it sounds like a plane..... vrooooom! and we have liftoff!

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why I asked you what the wattage on your power supply was before you bought it.
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahlan Amnell wrote:
bet it sounds like a plane..... vrooooom! and we have liftoff!

Just because I have to file a flight plan everytime I turn on my computer you have to make fun of me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: new graphics card..but Reply with quote

[HALO]Rebel_Rouser wrote:
When I turn on my pc all I hear is this loud continous beep sound.

That continuous beep is your CMOS telling you something. Look in your motherboard manual to see what the error code is for that beep sequence. Most likely it is related to your video card, as you mentioned.
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: new graphics card..but Reply with quote

Warhammer wrote:
[HALO]Rebel_Rouser wrote:
When I turn on my pc all I hear is this loud continous beep sound.

That continuous beep is your CMOS telling you something. Look in your motherboard manual to see what the error code is for that beep sequence. Most likely it is related to your video card, as you mentioned.

Well according to IBM BIOS a continuous beep means the following...
"Power Supply or System Board / Keyboard stuck"

I am guessing it is my power supply. 250 really is not that much anyway.
By the time I finish these damn upgrades I will have a new pc

Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are sweet I have them in all my systems.

http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=874745&Sku=ULT31554

The rebate is easy and painless if you have a paypal account as it will send the rebate right to it. The cables are nice and clean easier to make the inside of your boc nice and clean and also helps with keeping the temps. down in your box as well.
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh pretty... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=876412&CatId=1079
man... now I went shopping and want to upgrade mine... grrrrrrr
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811208004

ha, bought both of those.... bad influences!

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe I have 2 of the blue x-connect PS
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh, I bought a new antec 420W PS. Well after taking my other one out and hooking the new one up (such a pain) I realize that the new one I bought is a 24pin and my motherboard needs a 20 pin! So I had to hook the old one back up.

I think I may buy that one you showed above simple looks good and it is a 20pin

I think I may get the blue one it is exactly the same but cheaper for some reason....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: