FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Voice Comm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after excitedly rushing hojme from work to install and try out the '08 patch...

I didn't realise that you all sounded like chip and dale - those little chipmunk dudes !!! Actually, on some occasions I heard comms just fine. Sad thing is that others couldn't damn well understand me too well - must be my South African accent.
On the other hand, I have been getting great pings recently - <50
Roadrunner seems to be good for something at last

http://www.melenie.com
The Axacam® - Now more popular than pr0n
Maian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF, why cant I talk? The guys say its that I need to but some soundcard, but just for that??? Plus, on my name, it doesnt even show the little speaker icon. I know it's on, but I can speak. Does anyone else know what might be the problem?

Sick Cycle Carousel
Lifehouse
No Name Face
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[njk]Nopeace4u-DBD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can talk its just when everybody says i sound good the game sounds like its going in high speed and when i adjust the reception volume the game sounds fine but everbody says they can barley hear me. HELP PLEASE

I have 2 comps networked through a hub if that matters.
Rockman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things I found I had to do to get voice to work:

1) Had to select the mic channel as input device for recording. Had to get Volume Control up then Options/Properties and select "recording" to get the recording panel up. Check the box on the microphone channel.

2) I had to bind a key or button to be a transmit button. My bound key works but I also bound MOUSE4 as alternate and it doesn't work?!

By the way, the speaker symbol is never shown beside your own name. If I'm not mistaken, a speaker symbol is shown beside every player that you have not muted. To mute a player, bring up the score panel click mouse to get cursor then click on the player. Something like that.
cstone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Man, I used to have an older MS Optical Explorer Mouse w/ buttons all over it (4 and a wheel button). I could bind 'throw grenade' to the extra buttons, but I could not prime them. When I held down the button, it would simply release the grenade regardless.

Anyhow... one mouse-breakdown and a free replacement later.... I am using the same type of mouse but now I can bind 'holding' actions to the extra buttons (ie grenades and voicerecord).

So I guess what I am getting at is.. you need a new mouse Or just tell MS/Logitech that yours is broke and to please send a new one promptly!

cstone
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is what I did. I ran voice_tweak in the half-life folder to get the mike working, I had to also set my mike volume levels up and remove the mute.

Once I was sure my mike was working properly for halflife I then had to go into the config and map a key to use for talking ( I selected Q, its nice and handy)

Seems to work fine, several people said I sounded fine.

I like it, it makes in game communications much easier.

Everyone should get a mike and get it tuned and working on your system.

JD
Rockman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, cstone, I have the same prob binding grenades to MOUSE4 and 5. No doubt same reason I can't use them for transmit. It's like they have only momentary action, no hold-down property.

Are you saying that my new Intelli-mouse is defective?
Demented Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, didn't know that the voice_tweak was there. Thanx for the help

BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i have the same microsoft mouse that you are talking about and my mouse 3 and 4 keys work fine for holding and throwing grenades. i was gonna make my mouse 5 button the one for voice comm...we will see if it works. also when yall were configuring your mics did your voice sound clear or garbled when it was playing over your speakers? cuz mine was garbled and i have no clue why.
Robbie

ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used the voice program the voice comes out broken up. however when I exit the program and talk in game it sounds fine.
Mr. Magoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roof for the in game instructions on getting the voice going.

Looks like the console command is "+voicerecord". So you need to have a key bound for this and it acts like your transmit button (PTT for any hams). I heard the voices surprising well and I was on a 33k modem last night connected at a mere 28K. Didnt seem to lag or effect the main data feed. I noticed that you yourself never have a speak icon on the show scores page but your other teammates do. Some of those will be highlights with a slightly different icon (a little bubble in front of speaker) but not sure what that means. Muting is a snap and was unnecessary yesterday. At one point I did see a speakers icon for one player on the other team and was wondering if the rumors were true that spies (or maybe everyone) can hear the other teams comm talk when in extreme close proximity. Sounds like a test is in order. Also at one point after we capped #4 in Avanti, 2 people spoke at the same time and I heard both clearly. Curious as to how many people can actually talk on the Vcomm at once. Another test for that is inorder. Cool to hear everyone. JD & I had spotted the SilverOne slipping behind our lines and it was neat to hear people just call out "spy as soldier". Thumbs up for vcomm.

One strangeness was connecting to the server. Normally the players/max column shows you just that. yesterday it seemed that the max column/number seemed to be the number of slots left because each time a person joined that number went down and when the number of players reached half capacity then it would say the server is full because the number of players was => the max.

Magoo

{BGS}GLOOMIE357

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first, I like to thank all the people at the Ville to make downloading the new patch a whole lot easier.

Hey John Doe, what is the script to talk when i bind a key?
Rockman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that, Gloomie. We should not take The Ville for granted.

Oh, and I might remark that they've played some killer tunes on the website this week.
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol someone asked me if I was over 40 last night. i told you guys my voice was really low but nobody listens
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Axa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunes - I never seem to hear any - what tunes ??

http://www.melenie.com
The Axacam® - Now more popular than pr0n
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: