FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Day of Defeat legal tricks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l3eeron
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Day of Defeat legal tricks Reply with quote

Hey all you DoD players. I wanted to know if I could pick your brains for any tips on better in game skills. First I'll devulge my personal learnings. Most of these could be common knowledge, but here they are anyway. Please correct me or explain in further detail if I miss something.

1) Notice the energy meter as you run decreases in spurts or "levels" as I think of it. There are 4 energy levels before you get tired. The instant you touch the run button, the first energy level is burned. However, the next level of energy isn't burned for about an other second (when holding the run button down). So, if you're going to run, hold the button down until the middle of the first level of energy is burned. That will give you a few extra steps at sprint speed with out losing any more energy. (I hope my grammar made sense there). That technique can be used into the next levels of energy if you need to run more than just a few steps. It works well when you sprint for three levels and then release the button right before you get tired. That way you sprint as much as possible with out having to walk to recover energy.

2) If you need to recover energy, crouching dramatically increases the rate at which energy is recovered (going prone does the same thing only faster). I ALWAYS crouch immediatly after I jump to get back to full energy.

3) You can run through 2 levels of energy and still have enough energy to do a full jump. After that, you will be very low on energy, so you should crouch to regain quickly.

4) If you hit the reload button right before you start to run, you will reload while running, even though the gun disappears. When you stop running, the gun reappears and finishes the last movement of reloading. This is an awesome tip when using an automatic gun. You can empty your clip, hit reload, run for cover, and by the time you get there, you got an other full clip ready - SWEET!

5) Going from prone to sprint. Keep in mind, that what you see yourself doing on your monitor in first person, isn't always what your enemies are seeing. In other words, it seems like it takes eons to get up from prone and to then start running. BUT, that's not what everyone else sees. They see you get up and start running right away. It's a good technique to use when pinned behind sand bags or something.

6) Going from sprint to prone. This one is pretty obvious, yet forgotten. Very effective for snipers and bipod equiped guns. Run, dive, right click , death to enemy =) Helps get into those sticky areas with out being cannon fodder for the enemy.

7) Shooting in mid-air. YES it can be done. You can shoot when falling, but NOT when you jump. If you jump off a bridge, your gun disappears for the whole time you're in the air. If you just walk off the edge, you can shoot while falling. This works well with the automatic guns because the crosshairs get wide and accuracy is diminished, so spray n pray my friends - woohoo! I use this alot when I drop into sewers. DONT USE THE FREAKIN LADDERS TO GO DOWN! Sometimes the hole is small and you have to use the ladder. In that case I just jump off as soon as I can. I've had sooo many people think I was hacking because of this - LOL I love it.

Using RPGs. I'm not that skilled here, but I do have a couple things. Most maps have them on the ground in spawn areas. If you want to be a panzer or bazooka, pick a guy that spawns with two nades (grenadier or rifleman etc). Then drop the rifle and pick up the RPG. Viola! A one man army eqiuped with 5 rpgs and 2 nades. Now there's some serious potential to wreck people. I use RPG to get that sniper or mg that's better than me. Peak around the corner and blow the hell out of the window he's in. The enemy usually gets me before the rocket gets there though.

Aight then show me what you got.

eternalVillealliance
s.Squirrel
The Nut Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know about all that. I just run, shoot, kill then die. #2gunfire

s.Squirrel
The Nut Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>BENDER<< wrote:
well i got one for u. step1: select shovel, step2: hide around the corner, step3: wait for the unsuspecting incoming victim, step4: listen for footsteps and get ready, step5: squish squish. thats more effective when playin vs squirrel tee heee

CAMPER

Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips, maybe we can get some more in here.

Weapons
Pistol: When using a pistol as a backup plan after firing a rifle and missing, fire several bullets really fast into the enemy. This is usually the sure way to kill the enemy as long as your aiming skills are decent.

Grenades: Try to prime your grenades to leave just enough time for it to get to your target location and explode. The more time left over, the more warning the enemy has. (To prime a grenade, the easiest was is to look down and throw the grenade at your feet and quickly press your use key to pick it back up, then throw it at your target.)

General
Listening: Use your ears and map together to listen for enemy footsteps. If you have headphones, use them because they really help you to locate the direction of sounds. If you hear footsteps, look at your map and see if anyone on your team is nearby. If not, then get ready to engage.

Death messages: These messages can become very helpful. Try to remember the names of players, especially snipers and machine gunners, and their current locations. If you team isn't very good at communicating (likely in a pub), then pay attention to who is dying on your team. When you know where these people are, then it is easy to ascertain where the enemies are by looking at the death messages.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Killer KoolAid Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a noob and i know all that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
l3eeron
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, but if you sucked as much as me, this thread might be interesting. I'm going to get beer and a gun.

eternalVillealliance
Easy Target

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Day of Defeat legal tricks Reply with quote

l3eeron wrote:
1) Notice the energy meter as you run decreases in spurts or "levels" as I think of it. There are 4 energy levels before you get tired. The instant you touch the run button, the first energy level is burned. However, the next level of energy isn't burned for about an other second (when holding the run button down). So, if you're going to run, hold the button down until the middle of the first level of energy is burned. That will give you a few extra steps at sprint speed with out losing any more energy. (I hope my grammar made sense there). That technique can be used into the next levels of energy if you need to run more than just a few steps. It works well when you sprint for three levels and then release the button right before you get tired. That way you sprint as much as possible with out having to walk to recover energy.

When you are getting outta spawn, run, it's faster than sprinting and if you sprint you will slow down a couple of time and teammates will collide into you wich is bad for the team (good example: Starting at spawn in Ava and Flash). Another thing, if you want to go faster just cut corners just like when you are driving. Remember that the shortest distance between 2 points is the straight path.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Day of Defeat legal tricks Reply with quote

Easy Target wrote:
the shortest distance between 2 points is the straight path

unless you are flying an airplane....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>BENDER<< wrote:
grab ur gun and a beer and go crazy shootin heh heh #Beer

That's the only way I play
l3eeron
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmon you people dont ahve anything to add to that?!

eternalVillealliance
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO TRY:

-Walk through doors backwards to open them to opposite way for a surprise attack.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo good one

eternalVillealliance
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Day of Defeat legal tricks Reply with quote

Replica wrote:
Easy Target wrote:
the shortest distance between 2 points is the straight path

unless you are flying an airplane....

Or on a spherical surface such as Earth... I don't think there are any spherical shaped maps, though. Eh?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
Caveman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really a trick, but it helps me a lot while in game. I listen to music, usually some pretty fast death metal like Despised Icon, All Shall Perish, and Nile. I can't hear foot steps that well, but I do a lot better then when I'm not listening to music. Maybe it's just me, but if you haven't tried it you should.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that sometimes Caveman. I got some good death metal. Check out The Forsaken, and Monstrosity. Some Lamb of God and some old Slipknot is cool too.

eternalVillealliance
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: