FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
no more retail?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: no more retail? Reply with quote

Valve and Vivendi Universal Games have finally reached a legal settlement of their differences, and as part of the agreement Vivendi will stop selling retail copies of Half Life games. A US federal lawsuit was originally lodged by Valve, but according to this agreement, “the parties have resolved their differences and the settlement provides for the dismissal of all claims and counterclaims”.

gamesradar reports: “Vivendi will cease distribution of retail packaged versions of Valve’s games from 31 August, opening the way for Valve to sell its games exclusively via its Steam download service. Games affected by the agreement include Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike Condition Zero and Counter-Strike Source.”

yes, this is at least two weeks old, but I just stumbled on it, didn't know if you all had read it.

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are gonna lose a bundle

God Bless You Blue Ruler
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Valve will just sell their stuff retail and Vivendi will be cut out of the picture.
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: no more retail? Reply with quote

Kahlan Amnell wrote:
opening the way for Valve to sell its games exclusively via its Steam download service.

Sounds like it is just through steam? yeah, they are going to lose lots of money and new players like that....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
powdermilkman
Diplomat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i can't imagine them not selling it through a retail chain. But the current trend is moving closer and closer to selling everything online. the new xbox and ps3 have hinted at buying games online.

Powder
gindapoo

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't see it do you...

It is all one step closer to pay-to-play.

As every game distributor moves more to an online distribution method, the stage is set to force the gamer to pay to play their game of choice. HL3 could be "Here is the demo, which is level 1; now pay to download the next level" and so on. It is already moving that direction in other online market areas, and with the number of online gamers there is no doubt that the game makers want a piece of that action.

I hope that pay-to-play is not the case--but realistically, Steam could not have been more tailor-made for a pay-to-play system.

where the name came from<---clicky
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gindapoo wrote:
You don't see it do you...

It is all one step closer to pay-to-play.

As every game distributor moves more to an online distribution method, the stage is set to force the gamer to pay to play their game of choice. HL3 could be "Here is the demo, which is level 1; now pay to download the next level" and so on. It is already moving that direction in other online market areas, and with the number of online gamers there is no doubt that the game makers want a piece of that action.

I hope that pay-to-play is not the case--but realistically, Steam could not have been more tailor-made for a pay-to-play system.

As mush as I hate to admit it I have been thinking that for some time now.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep me as well and seeing how good WoW did I see it even becoming more of a reality.
PolluX
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well..I've been afraid things were heading that way....I refuse to play pay-to-play games...it just violates my basic rules of gaming (I already paid for your game, I'm not going to pay to play it).

I'll just wind up in something like guild wars or Ragnarok Online (guild wars you just buy the game and RO you just pay to play [the game is free])...so we'll see what happens.

This is also one of the reasons I HATE programs like Steam...they never serve the end user (us) any purpose other than to enslave us to a proprietary system of some company....

bah...just bah.
Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think valve would get that greedy to make it pay to play. I guess valve will publish hl2 for xbox by them selves or find a different publisher.
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way they would even be able to entice people to pay to play would be if they were to be the only ones providing servers. With regular people providing servers the idea would be laughed at and Valve would probably lose everything.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with pay to play if its worth it and the developer is adding content equal to the amount you are spending.

I've been playing pay to play online games since 1996 and except for the original half-life NO game bought at a store has come close to the hours and content these games have to offer. None.

There is a reason why you pay to play and the above is why.

"STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE" ~Blue Ruler
"Silver is Cheezylicious" ~MErf
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:
The only way they would even be able to entice people to pay to play would be if they were to be the only ones providing servers. With regular people providing servers the idea would be laughed at and Valve would probably lose everything.

Well everyone has to authenticate through Steam to play any game on any server. So it would be pretty easy for them to do that.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:
Bright Red Nipples wrote:

Well everyone has to authenticate through Steam to play any game on any server. So it would be pretty easy for them to do that.

I think he meant that if valve does do the pay to play, they would lose a lot of players and a lot of servers...

PolluX
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverOne wrote:
I see nothing wrong with pay to play if its worth it and the developer is adding content equal to the amount you are spending.

I've been playing pay to play online games since 1996 and except for the original half-life NO game bought at a store has come close to the hours and content these games have to offer. None.

There is a reason why you pay to play and the above is why.

I understand that...and I'm not saying that the games aren't great....many of them are...I just refuse to pay to use something I've already bought. My basic philosophy is that if you're making a game you are going to GIVE me something...either the game or the gameplay...I will not pay for both.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: