FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Spooky Action
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FragFailure

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only thing missing is the beach then

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has talked about quantum computers which is what this technology is leading towards first, before they can teleport trash and people. If I am around when they get to trying to teleport people I would love to be the guinea pig.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PilzberryFroBoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing this reminded me of an article I read earlier in the year. (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/01/28/matter.new.reut/) ... material that loses NO energy when conducting electricity.

Amazing what's going to happen with quantum mechanics.

Cool article.
DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopiKat wrote:
Electrons can achieve what is known as "tunneling", where an electron can literally jump through a barrier that would normally be impassable to it, and appear on the other side. This is an odd quantum mechanical phoenominon, and its very rare, althought the probability of it happening increases as the object that the electron tunnels through gets smaller and smaller. -KK

While on a "macroscopic" scale this phenomemon is rare, it is very common at the microscopic scale. The laser that you find in the everyday CD player is a Quantum Well Tunneling Diode Laser. There are also a number of other now relatively common "quantum" electronic components used in everyday electronics.

The ubiquitous fluorescent light (and neon light also) are both quantum devices. Each produce more light for the amount of energy put into them than classical thermo-dynamics should allow. It does this by exploiting "quantum energy levels" of the gases & materials used in them.

Quantum Physics is very cool stuff. These give rise to many of what I call the "VERY" wierd laws of Physics.

Things get wierd when the get VERY:

SMALL - Nuclear interactions, quantum levels - photons - gravitons
HOT - Plasma Physics (very weird stuff)
MASSIVE - Black Holes
FAST - Relativity
COLD - Bose-Einstien Condensate, Quantum Vortices, Laser Traps

=US-])uke]\[ukem-V=
I STINK, therefore I SPAM!
[doctored Descartes]
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting stuff.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JtH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was reading that and remember something from a little quantum physics i looked into.

if you take 2 quantum particles. lets say electrons. if you create them in the same event, then trap them and separate them, one will react to the other, no matter the distance between them. whats nice about our use of binary computing is that you can compute using quantum particles. Lets say you were to assign an upward spin on one of those electrons a 1 and a downward spin a 0.

now lets say you take particle one to alpha centauri. Lets just say that both of these particles have a downward spin, therefore a binary 0. take the particle you have at alpha centauri and flip its spin to an upward one. The particle you have here at earth will then become a binary 1. so technically you just achieved instantaneous communication, aka faster than light.

Now imagine you have 1000, or 10,000 of these particles. the computing you can do over great distances would be astounding. no longer would we worry about the 4 or 5 second lag between here and the moon. or the 15 second lag between here and mars. this would allow for a much more controlled exploration of space and our distant stellar neighbors.

So much for t1 or t3 connections eh??

now the only problem is getting a ship to move alot faster, without frying its passengers.
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jfet Zener wrote:
Clay Pigeon wrote:
Takes too much energy to convert energy into back into matter.

while true, dont forget that we will have alot of energy already stored from converting matter into energy. also by this time we will be able to convert other matter (i.e. random trash, not human bodies) into energy to provide even more energy.

No Soylent Green??

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of this is flying over my head but reading it makes me jelous of all the cool stuff our future generations r gonna have.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry Mike...this time has pretty cool stuff too. Just because it will suck tomorrow... dosen't matter...hahahahaha
PondScum007

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oo The Jaunt is almost real
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO] Mrs. Keyes wrote:
Jfet Zener wrote:
Clay Pigeon wrote:
Takes too much energy to convert energy into back into matter.

while true, dont forget that we will have alot of energy already stored from converting matter into energy. also by this time we will be able to convert other matter (i.e. random trash, not human bodies) into energy to provide even more energy.

No Soylent Green??

ahhh soylent green good movie, probably kinda old for most of these folks
Good ole Heston screaming
People!!!!! It's People!!!!!!

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a good idea to recycle humans. What good is a dead person anyway?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:
That's actually a good idea to recycle humans. What good is a dead person anyway?

I won't dignify that with a response.
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verman wrote:
Does anybody remember the movie Spaceballs?

lol the second i read that i cracked up remembering.

and as for it being a while b4 scotty beams YOU GUYS UP thats just cause your not as cool as me i was up there messing around with tricorders tacion pusles and transporting stevo and the other tvr membering...and some usv into oncoming skulk action...but i swear it wasnt me putting you guys in the stomaches of those onos that was all capt kirk i swear it #alien

Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF did he just say?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: