FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Michael Moore Essay/Article
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongbad wrote:
In the name of spam, this better be page 10!!!!

EDIT:

looks like i got it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many opinions yet so little time. Eat a popsicle, drink a warm glass of milk, (soy if you prefer) and remember not to hate and that Moore likes to **** ******* ** *** *** *** ***** *** **** ****** **** shovels, plus he **** *** **** *** ***** ****** ******* dogs. This thread was actually let run....this gives me ideas
Deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you know what they say "Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one and they all stink".

Turbo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in my last post: I was pissed off/grumpy/hostile. I said some stuff I didnt actually mean. I also said I know Im not the best informed on these topics but Im working on that. After writing my lat post I spent about two hours reading news from many different sources.

But meh, whaddya gonan do? I still dont like Bush or the actions hes taken in the White House. But thats just my a$$hole...er...I mean opinion

*Props to Mad-Hammer on the Sig*

R.I.P. Blue: Gone But Never Forgotten
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo,

At least you are taking time to figure out for yourself why and for what, you don't like him.

Respect goes out to you.

Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with Turbo's opinions, as scary as that sounds

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Twisted29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I ever mentioned, I love Greenbo?

I remember sticking up for him when I was new to this forum and getting heavily flamed for it!
Turbo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Death

Thats pretty scary Nips

*Props to Mad-Hammer on the Sig*

R.I.P. Blue: Gone But Never Forgotten
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay Pigeon wrote:

I would say more but I would be preaching to the choir mainly. And sully. He cant really sing. Hes more of an altar boy really.

Just because I've been touched there doesn't mean that I'm an alter boy.

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
Secret Agent Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not drunk, im just exhuasted from drinking all night!

aa, oshiete sensei-san
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

`RaphX wrote:
The problem with what Michael Moore does is that his sensationalist methods of putting them across to the public seriously detract from the good points he is trying to make.
People who have some amount of intelligence within themselves should be able to judge for themselves what to think without needing such sensationalism, but those without don't know better, do listen to what each of Moore's movies/books say, thus making his material potentially dangerous.

And this is different, from every other person trying to sway someone to their point of view, how?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharkbyte wrote:
`RaphX wrote:
The problem with what Michael Moore does is that his sensationalist methods of putting them across to the public seriously detract from the good points he is trying to make.
People who have some amount of intelligence within themselves should be able to judge for themselves what to think without needing such sensationalism, but those without don't know better, do listen to what each of Moore's movies/books say, thus making his material potentially dangerous.

And this is different, from every other person trying to sway someone to their point of view, how?

It's all fine and well to talk up the good points/advantages of something, or its bad points/disadvantages. In this case, however, I believe that there could have been some better ways of putting the point across. Not long into watching the film I realised why so many people had a problem with it, even those who agree with Moore in principal.
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharkbyte wrote:
`RaphX wrote:

hmm... he presents his opinions and beliefs as documentaries? let me define documentary-it might clear somethings up

documentary-A work, such as a film or television program, presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration.
(www.dictionary.com)

now, as I read this definition, I do not see where personal beliefs and sensationalist methods are part of a documentary. Documentaries, IMO, are solely factual representations of events/people/etc..... Moore and/or others presenting his movies as "documentaries" need to pull out their dictionaries..... I mean, if I wanted a documentary made about my life, or a serious event in my life, I would want that documentary, which would be seen by however many people, to present an accurate picture of me/the event, and not just take a couple flaws and highlight those, twist them, and highlight those twists. I would also want this documentary to rely on facts, rather than statistics, (statistics can be manipulated to represent almost anything). I would also want interviews done with people who know what they are talking about.... I don't know, but this is just my opinion. I believe that what Moore does is merely show his own stupidity, which is, apparently, a profitable business these days (just look at the shows they have that are "entertainment"-nothing really intellectual there).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but truth lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Is the glass half-full, or half-empty? A case can be made either way.

Liquidwas only added to its current point, within the glass

Then it is half-full. Why? Because the glass was in the process of being filled.

The glass is half-empty. Why? Because you can not use the term full (or any portion there-of) until the glass has been first completely filled.

Both statements are true. Yet neither is correct.

Ya gotta love the English language. It is always so clear and easily understandable.
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Moore Essay/Article Reply with quote

Greebo wrote:

b) Michael Moore is blatantly biased, his reporting is faulty, his previous films have dodgy/bad reporting.

I watched Bowling a while ago and it seemed awfully fishy so I started checking on it. Turns out that it should never have been peddled as a documentary and is closer to fiction than truth. If you don't believe do some checking of your own. "

For those not in the know (and frankly that's probably no-one), Bowling for Columbine was a Michael Moore film (it was called a documentary but I hesitate in using that word because frankly anyone who thinks the film is a bunch of lies is liable to jump on me) concerning the 1999 Columbine shootings; the availability of guns and bullets in America; reasons behind the huge rates of gun related deaths and the NRA.

The following site is one I've known about for ages:
http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

It points out various flaws in the film and how it portrays the facts and, unfortunately, enough of what it points out appears to be true that it throws into question Moore's credibility. And the really stupid thing is that the things it ultimately points out and the thoughts it provokes could easily have been achieved without distorting anything. The only thing it achieves is giving people who are against such a film the chance to discredit it.

So…back to Fahrenheit 9/11. I think when I do get round to seeing it I’ll definitely try to step back and think about what’s being said. I’ll try and look for signs of manipulated statistics and such likes.

just referring back to original post...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: