FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
stopsound
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bada Bing wrote:
Paddyjack wrote:
When 1.0 was out, I used the sounds from 3.1, as I thought they were better. For one, footsteps on floorboards were louder. When Steam was out, my sounds disapeared, and I never bothered to get them again..... so the footsteps are fainter... but I still rack up kills as before....

So I don't think editing these sounds is a big help

I get accused of wallhacking all the time because I can hear people coming a mile away.Cheating no simply a modified .wav don't like it boohoo cry me a river

alright *crys a river*

*stops crying*

anyways i tried it out today and found that it really helps...i wouldnt consider it hacking on the basis that i watch tv when i play any mod...any game so i have enough a distraction with or without the ambient sounds

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to ahve the mulch trench sounds...

Quote:

ohhh baby your flag has returned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is turning off rain and fog considered a hack too?? I know many that have done this due to issues with their video cards dropping fps to low. It is a simple command to do. There is no complex code or bind that has to be done to accomplish it. The way I see it it is part of the game. Otherwise that would be a dead command.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:
dead command.

those are fun

but aside from all that all i have to say is that i personally dont consider it cheating for the same reasons that brn said if they didnt want ppl to be able to do that to make a game more enjoyable(for whatever reason)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a story regarding that. I don't remember the exact command, but mine was implemented for whatever reason at the moment I did it (I forgot). So I never realized there was rain on the map Donner before somebody mentioned it to me

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said it should be considered cheating, I meant editing wavs not the stopsound command.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[HALO]cpt._Keyes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have all my sounds edited...and i still suck...i also use headphones so i can get the stero affect but most of my sound editing is to make it cooler...the fact that some are louder...is coincidental...only my ladder sound is unually loud...i can hear from across half the map KLANG KLANG KLANG....someone is coming up the ladder....i turn around, shoot at them...draw an outline of them on the wall behind them...then they sneeze and kill me...so yes my sounds are louder...yes i know where you are...i still cant aim...
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does one distinguish an acceptable adjustment to a non-acceptable one? The line is so unclear to me, but I am supposing it is clearly visible to "anti-scriptors."

Bright Red Nipples wrote:
Is turning off rain and fog considered a hack too?? I know many that have done this due to issues with their video cards dropping fps to low. It is a simple command to do. There is no complex code or bind that has to be done to accomplish it. The way I see it it is part of the game. Otherwise that would be a dead command.

That's not necessarily good logic.

There are several simple commands in TFC that are banned outright because of the significance they contain. I actually can't think of any string commands that outweigh a few of the banned one-liners.

The complexity of a code does not determine the "morality" of the outcome. Stringing together commands is also obviously part of the game too. Valve had every intention of letting players customize.

I could write a long script that changed my fov constantly for a drunk effect, or I could adjust a setting which would result in a league ban.

Also, how does one discriminate between "natural" and "unnatural"? Does an "unnatural" command give a person a clear advantage? If so, which advantages are okay?

I remember many complaints about turning off water fog in well. Is it a double standard in DoD?

As for sound editing, you can get to a point where it becomes hacking in a sense, although impossible to catch. I believe a simple edit allows you to hear the prime count of an enemy nade in TFC, with a few strings attached though. I used to have my shotgun sound set as the Monty Python "Ni" yell. That was fun. Then I changed it to a sawwed-off I think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If editing sounds to make them easier to hear, or more distinct is cheating, Then you shouldn't be able to change your crosshairs to something easier to see. Like Chen said.. where do you draw the line, if your an honest person and feel you have an unfair advantage over fellow players because of all your scripting and editing then take it upon yourself to play more naturally. So do peoples skills get better? or do their scripts.....
dub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Watch what people say! Reply with quote

Shouldn't editing sounds that way be considered cheating?

All this talk about stop sound? There is no way that stop sound is cheating. I have been using it forever and it makes the game alot better. However, as for editiing sounds, in 3.1 my brother showed me all kinds of different mods. Sound, player, and flag mods. There look cool and ad alittle variety to the game. My brother plays in cal, and the rules state no mods of any kind are aloud during a match. SO the question is, is editing or adding sound mods Hacking?

dub
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all

HAXORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=US-])uke]\[ukem-V=
I STINK, therefore I SPAM!
[doctored Descartes]
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DukeNukem wrote:
You are all

HAXORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEE HEE I HAX let me show you (reaches behind him grabs a shovel smacks Duke in the back of the head) See how do you like my HAX.
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see you posting dub! i think that adding sounds to make the game more enjoyable is completely acceptable...i have added more realistic gun sounds, and i dont consider that cheating....now if i made it so i could only the enemys footsteps louder or something i think that is a little questionable....but like someone said, there is no way to find out who is using editing as a way to cheat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shovelnose wrote:
now if i made it so i could only the enemys footsteps louder or something i think that is a little questionable....but like someone said, there is no way to find out who is using editing as a way to cheat.

TRUE!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has crossed my mind several times whether I'm cheating or not the first time I edited sounds - like changing the grenade_hit sound from a *tinktinktink* sound to a *THUDTHUDTHUD* sound. I know that grenade landed right there but my teammate might not have.

I still haven't used stopsound once. I dunno, maybe I will now (seeing how much one can benefit), but before it was a fear of the matter of crossing the line between enjoying the ambience of the game as opposed to obsessing over small sounds and constantly scanning for any noise. Hmm...

And use headphones! I cannot stress this enough, you must have them! Try it once and you'll be damned if you can ever play without them again.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: