FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Windows Errors Knowledge Base

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeCies

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Windows Errors Knowledge Base Reply with quote

Ever wonder what those BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)Error Messages mean and what Application/Hardware caused it to occure ? Your problems are explained here
kubrick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, since I made the switch to XP pro, I haven't had one bsod. I hate giving Microsoft props, but xp rocks for home use and gaming.

Now for work, that's another story
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpeCies

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you 100% Blown it sure beats Win98
JtH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i didnt know it was hex. sweet. now at least when i get a BSOD ill know what from. but most likely i still wont be able to fix it.

ahhh windows. bill gates is a jackass. (refer to http://www.theville.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15855&sid=463acf675cc799d71036161456e30c67 )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongbad wrote:
to be honest, since I made the switch to XP pro, I haven't had one bsod. I hate giving Microsoft props, but xp rocks for home use and gaming.

Strongbad ya xp is good and all, but it is a resource hog. Basically this just means your ram is depeleted faster than with ne other os that windows has. just so ya know

SpeCies

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resource Hog, Yes.... If you leave XP at it's "Installation Defaults"...

Check this out if you want to jump ahead to this guides System Tweaks
(I highly recommend starting at it's beginning)

[color=System Resources[/color]

1)
Start by typing this in Start/Run MSConfig enter to access MSConfig.

2)
General

Initially set to Normal Startup, if you make any changes to the items under Services or Startup, this may show Selective Startup. If you're having system problems, use the Diagnostic Startup.

System.ini

Leave at default settings.

Win.ini

Leave at default settings.

Boot.ini

Untick all the options under Boot Options, as well as those under Advanced Options. The timeout setting should be set to 0 seconds for fastest bootup. It can't be set below 3 seconds in MSConfig, so see the System section for details on how to edit it to equal 0.

Services

Select "Hide All Microsoft Services" and then untick all the resulting services that are displayed. You shouldn't need any of these unless you're certain that you do. You can always re-enable them should one of your devices not function properly. It is not recommended that you disable services in this way however, so see the Services section below for more details.

Startup

Shows all the programs which load into system memory upon booting your system. Some of these programs can be found in your Start>All Programs>Startup folder, some will display in the Systray unless you've chosen "Hide Inactive Icons" (See Taskbar and Start Menu above), some are there by stealth. In truth you don't need any of these. WinXP can start and operate 100% without any startup items. For a full list of common startup items and what they do, see this guide or this one. Untick as many of these items as possible. Ideally you should check the options/preferences in each program to make sure they aren't loading at startup, and for those which don't have an option to remove themselves from startup, use the Registry Editor to remove them - see Registry Editor section for details. Programs which load at startup take up memory and often cause conflicts while running in the background, especially virus scanners.

Services

Start>Run>services.msc or Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

To save space here I've only listed the services I recommend to be set as Disabled or Automatic. The remaining Microsoft Services not listed below should be set to Manual. If unsure, set a service to Manual rather than Automatic or Disable. The settings recommended here are safe for almost all systems, allowing all the common WinXP functions to work. Make sure to read the BlackViper Services Guide to find out more and better customize services to suit your system setup.

Automatic:

Cryptographic Services
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Event Log
Plug and Play
Protected Storage
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Security Accounts Manager
Shell Hardware Detection
System Event Notification
Task Scheduler
Telephony
Themes
Windows Audio
Windows Management Instrumentation
Windows Time

Disable:

Alerter
Automatic Updates (manually update regularly using Windows Update)
Clipbook
Error Reporting Service
Fast User Switching Compatibility
Help and Support
Human Device Interface Access
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
Indexing Service
IPSEC Services
Messenger
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Network DDE
Network DDE DSM
Performance Logs and Alerts
Portable Media Serial Number
Print Spooler (Set to Automatic if you have a printer)
QoS RSVP
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Registry
Routing and Remote Access
Secondary Logon
Smart Card
Smart Card Helper
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Telnet
Terminal Services
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Upload Manager
Volume Shadow Copy
WebClient
Wireless Zero Configuration
WMI Performance Adapter

Group Policy

To access: Start>Run>gpedit.msc (Note: No Group Editor in WinXP Home)

There are two main branches – User Configuration and Computer Configuration. Changes made under User Configuration only affect the current user. Changes made under Computer Configuration apply to the machine and affect all users on that machine. The recommended setting for each is provided in brackets.

Turn off System Restore permanently

- Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\System Restore\(leave at default)

Turn off built-in XP CD Burning (still allows 3rd party burning software such as Nero)

- User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\"Remove CD Burning Features" (Enabled)

Remove Shared Documents Folder

- User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\"Remove Shared Documents from My Computer" (Enabled)

Remove Shutdown/Logoff/Restart messages

- Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\"Remove boot /Shutdown /Logon / Logoff messages" (leave at default)

Turn off User Tracking (will disable personalized menus as well though)

- User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\"Turn off user tracking" (Enabled)

Turn off CD/DVD Autoplay

- Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\"Turn off Autoplay" (Enabled)

Disable IE splashscreen

- Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\"Disable Showing the Splash Screen" (Enabled)

Disable Windows Messenger

- Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Messenger\(Set both to Enabled)

See the Regedit section on how to turn off Messenger and fix the Outlook Express "slowdown" issue.

Customize Internet Explorer (Logo, Titlebar, Toolbar pics & text)

- User Configuration\Windows settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Browser User Interface\ (leave at default)

Remove Recycle Bin Icon from Desktop

- User configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\"Remove Recycle Bin icon from Desktop" (leave at default)

Remove My Documents Icon from Desktop

- User configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\"Remove My Documents icon from Desktop" (Enabled)

Remove My Computer Icon from Desktop

- User configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\"Remove My Computer icon from Desktop" (leave at default)

(I really think that you should start at the beginning before you get to this point and then move on up to Services, Policy, Regedit Tweaks)

Gamepro65 wrote:
Strongbad ya xp is good and all, but it is a resource hog. Basically this just means your ram is depeleted faster than with ne other os that windows has. just so ya know

kubrick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamepro65 wrote:
Strongbad wrote:

Well I run with 1GB of ram, so I don't have too many issues running out of resources. Right now, task manager is showing I have over 800MB of free ram.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpeCies

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a total of

523760 Physical Ram
Available 394596
System Cache 88972

28 Open Processes
CPU Usage 1%
PF Usage 142 MB

Strongbad wrote:
Well I run with 1GB of ram, so I don't have too many issues running out of resources. Right now, task manager is showing I have over 800MB of free ram.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: