FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Digital Camera

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Digital Camera Reply with quote

I was thinking about getting a digital camera for the up coming holidays, and I would like some input from those who have one or researched one.

Here is what I am looking for:
4.0+ Megapixels
Compact
Less than $500
Non-off brand
3x+ zoom

Here are things that I don't care about:
Inter-changable Lens
Large amount of zoom

The two that I have really been looking at are the Canon S45 and Canon S50. The only difference between them is that the S45 is 4 Megapixels and the S50 is 5.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either of the 2 your looking at are more than you'll probaly ever need. One thing though, you may want to consider gettting a 128 mb card for it. Bigger card = more pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epinions.com is a great site for digital camera reviews. I would recommend taking a look at the Canon S400. It is only 4.1 megapixels, but it is a very high-rated camera. I think it is running for less than $350 these days.

And if you like small cameras, the you have to take a look at the Olympus C-50. It is the smallest 5+ megapixel digital camera out there and it still packs a punch. You can probably find it online for about $350.
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmm potatos wondering about getting a digital camera about christmas time as well - his sister wants one. So, I really dont understand some of this terminology like WTH is a megapixel?! 1000 pixels? So then a 4.0 mp camera could hol 4000 megapixels? Potatos lost, however, I would like to know if anyone out there would know of a good two for one deal? I wouldnt mind getting a camera for both my sister, me and my mom as well. Im sure a place like BestBuy would give us a two for one deal if we spent enough I suppose. Prehaps potato will go price shoping sometime after he gets some more info. Both of the above mentioned cameras look good BTW.

Thanks for any help,
<TVB>Potato
Darkath

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah...Darkath's digital camera (that he will have after Christmas) pwns all!

Take a look:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/655e/

^^^ Clicky
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my canon. If you are looking at a small size go for the elph series. Like the S400 (which was already mentioned).
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkath wrote:
Bah...Darkath's digital camera (that he will have after Christmas) pwns all!

Take a look:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/655e/

sweet camera darkath.....

heres how my camera looks like...

Monk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potato-VS- wrote:
Gmm potatos wondering about getting a digital camera about christmas time as well - his sister wants one. So, I really dont understand some of this terminology like WTH is a megapixel?! 1000 pixels? So then a 4.0 mp camera could hol 4000 megapixels? Potatos lost, however, I would like to know if anyone out there would know of a good two for one deal? I wouldnt mind getting a camera for both my sister, me and my mom as well. Im sure a place like BestBuy would give us a two for one deal if we spent enough I suppose. Prehaps potato will go price shoping sometime after he gets some more info. Both of the above mentioned cameras look good BTW.

Thanks for any help,
<TVB>Potato

Take a look here <-- Clicky

Like I said, Epinions is the place to read about Ditigal cameras. The buyer's guide is particularly helpful and will explain everything you need to know about buying a digital camera.
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my wife the Elph S200 last year.
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s200/

It's not a 4.0 but I do highly recommend Cannon.
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah potato cant figure out what camera range is best for graphics and such. Nothing high-end but something good enough so that I can make textures out of it.

<TVB>Potato
=USV-TSGTAJ-USV=

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Digital Camera Reply with quote

I just got married and got an Olympus C-50 zoom. It takes awsome pics. One of the best things about it is you can take pics with a remote control. So you don't have to be out of all the pics you're taking.
A.J.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the 4 megapixel, Canon has also de Poweshoot A80. Since the A70 is very well rated (3 megapixel), I guess it should be good too.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Monk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack wrote:
in the 4 megapixel, Canon has also de Poweshoot A80. Since the A70 is very well rated (3 megapixel), I guess it should be good too.

Nah, stick to the S models if you can afford them. The A models are a great cheaper alternative, but they don't compare to the S models. I own the S200 and am very happy with it. However, it has been discontinued since Canon came out with an upgrade the S230. Right now the S400 is one of the highest rated cameras on the market. If you can afford it, go for it, otherwise the S230 is a great option.

The Olympus C50 is an awesome camera. As I am someone who loves small electronics I sometimes wish I could trade my Canon S200 in for an Olympus C50 since the C50 is now the smallest digital camera. It is a beauty.
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Sony dig cam right before minime was born. I am very happy with it. I wanted something that was the size of a reg cam. Having bigger hands I thought it would make it easier to use and I was right. I have used the smaller ones and I just have a hard time with them. The cam I got is a 4.1 megapixel and the pics are incredible. There is a lot of detail with it that some of the smaller pixel cams would probably miss.

My cam has since been discontinued for newer models. I'm sure what ever brand you do choose will work just fine. Just don't skimp when it comes to the pixel value. I would go with something that is 4 megapixel or higher.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: