FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Compiled STEAM FAQ.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Personal Insanity wrote:
Q: Even in single-player mode I get awful framerates compared to my
CD install. (15 FPS instead of 60-80). This is using the same video options as my CD install (OpenGL 800x600 16bit windowed).

What gl_ settings are you using?
What net_graph setting are you using?
What video card?

I used to run windowed but with steam I dont need to because there's no sound loss. I am getting about 60 fps with no tweaks. Yet.
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q. I have dod installed and I can get into the mian menu. However, whenever I try to join a server, it gets stuck on "validatinng resources". Why?

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Vulcan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:
Q. I have dod installed and I can get into the mian menu. However, whenever I try to join a server, it gets stuck on "validatinng resources". Why?

You are stilling the files needed to play dod.
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan wrote:
Violent Pacifist wrote:

Such as?? I've already downloaded, patched and copied files for dod. I can't think of anymore that I could possibly need.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Blown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:

You prob need to download the files or transfer your TFC/DOD or whatever directory so it has the files.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAFT wrote:
Q: Even in single-player mode I get awful framerates compared to my
CD install. (15 FPS instead of 60-80). This is using the same video options as my CD install (OpenGL 800x600 16bit windowed).

What gl_ settings are you using?
What net_graph setting are you using?
What video card?

I used to run windowed but with steam I dont need to because there's no sound loss. I am getting about 60 fps with no tweaks. Yet.

gl_ would be all the defaults for single player HL.
net_graph 3 when I have it on. Card is
the same GeForce2MX 64 that I've had for two years now.

Can you task-switch in fullscreen mode without problems?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vulcan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:
Vulcan wrote:
Violent Pacifist wrote:

Such as?? I've already downloaded, patched and copied files for dod. I can't think of anymore that I could possibly need.

The files needed to play would be the built in maps models and whatever else there is for dod. There are two states of the dl. First one is to get you into the game, the second is to be able to play the game.
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="My Personal Insanity"]
SHAFT wrote:
Alt-S and Alt-Esc both work with no adverse affects that I have exerianced
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SHAFT"]
SHAFT wrote:
Alt-S and Alt-Esc both work with no adverse affects that I have exerianced

Well, doesn't matter, though, 'cause I've discovered the simple answer:
Don't try to play while 4 other games are updating in the background,
as well as a couple other CPU intensive programs raping your poor
Duron...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of an FTP site where I can get the SteamInstall_CS.exe file. The one I was using doesn't have it anymore.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to reinstall steam and now it doesnt check my hard drive for my games, it just tries to download new copies. What can I do to make it recheck and copy my games?
Vulcan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay Pigeon wrote:
I had to reinstall steam and now it doesnt check my hard drive for my games, it just tries to download new copies. What can I do to make it recheck and copy my games?

I would assume you just ran the uninstaller, last thing I knew, this did nothing but remove the uninstall itself, and your two shortcuts. To finish htae uninstall you have to delete the steam folder and delete a few regestry keys(not sure which ones though).

I also don't think it downloads the whole thing from the internet. I think when it "installs" it, it first checks your computer for having it on your computer(the install went a little too fast on a 56k modem for 130 megabytes).
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan wrote:
Clay Pigeon wrote:

I would assume you just ran the uninstaller, last thing I knew, this did nothing but remove the uninstall itself, and your two shortcuts. To finish htae uninstall you have to delete the steam folder and delete a few regestry keys(not sure which ones though).

I also don't think it downloads the whole thing from the internet. I think when it "installs" it, it first checks your computer for having it on your computer(the install went a little too fast on a 56k modem for 130 megabytes).

the first time you run the install, it converts your mods to steam. this is also logged in your account. so if you run steam a second time (even if you delete the folder and the registery keys) it won't show you that again.

only solution that i know of is explained in the following link:

http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=47676&s=76d6f8941f05ffe609359209e269a2c4

this apllies for all mods out there.

and do not create a new account cause then you will get an email with the following:

Quote:

Dear Steam user,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration.

Steam has detected that your copy of Half-Life Platinum Pack has already been registered to another Steam user. Your product's CD-Key (the number printed on the CD case which you were asked to type in after installing the game) matches one already in our database.

The CD-Key you entered is: ****************

You will not be able to play Half-Life Platinum Pack unless you provide an unclaimed CD-Key. To provide an unclaimed CD-Key, you will need a copy of Half-Life Platinum Pack which has not already been registered on Steam. Double-click on the name of the game in Steam's "Games" window and then follow the given instructions.

For further help or product support, please visit http://www.steampowered.com

Signed,

The Steam Support Team
To contact us, email support@steampowered.com

==============
This notification has been sent to the e-mail address you provided when you created your Steam account. For information on Valve's privacy policy, please visit http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.htm

Negative Creep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope this hasn't already been mentioned in these forums, so I can take all the credit .

Some of you may have problems with Steam being a big memory hog. If you are one of these, just minimize a Steam window and then close it. It saves a butt-load of memory, you can tell by doing ctrl-alt-del, and then doing this. Your memory goes from say 20,000 to 2,000.
Blue Ruler
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed this before.

Quote:
SUPPORT
QUESTIONS, ANSWERS, BUG FIXES, ETC

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you're using Steam and running into trouble, you may find a solution in our list of Frequently Asked Questions.

MESSAGE BOARD
For issues not covered in the FAQ, the online forums on this website are another resource worth investigating.

SUBSCRIBER AGREEMENT, BILLING, AND ONLINE CONDUCT
When you install Steam, you agree to be bound by the Steam Subscriber Agreement. The billing policies for Steam can be found here [#Smile_colors coming soon #Smile_colors ]. Also, please refer to the online conduct rules for Steam and the Steam network.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: