FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Server issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cstone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Server issues Reply with quote

Just thought I'd voice my opinion on some issues that bother me w/ the new Ville DOD servers:

1. Too many players. 24 is a *lot* of players for most DOD maps. games usually end up in a stalemate when you can't go 5 steps without running into another player.
  2. Death stats. these seem cool at first, but it turns into information overload pretty quickly. I can't imagine they help out server perfomance much either.
  3. Blood spouting. this is also *very* distracting, especially when I can't see a death animation b/c the guy I'm attacking is spouting blood.
  4. Constant text updates. these are also rather distracting. Maybe a short blurb about the URL every 10 - 15 mins would suffice.

Sorry for all the complaints, but I just don't like these new additions. Sure they're neat and cool, but DOD is fine the way it is.
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see...

The only reason why tv1 and 4 are at 24 players is because we are having an issue with admin reserve slots. Once that gets fixed we should have it back to 22 players with 2 reserves.

Death Stats. We haven't had any complaints on them till this. My opinion, its something to look at when you die. Doesn't really take much power since our servers can easily handle it. Can be changed in the future though if we get more people who don't like them.

Blood. We have had many positive compliments on this feature from players. Makes our servers different from the others out there. Every time im on someone says this blood is great. We have had outside admins contact us too on how to get it, etc. But I do understand where you are coming from on this. I have had some complaints that the blood is not realistic, its too much, or.. they like DoD for what is it.. like yourself. After thinking about this for awile I tend to agree with you on this point. I may take it off on tv4 since tv1 has it. Ill have to decide later.

I also agree on the messages. I never really realized it, but the messages are popping up every 60 seconds by the plugin. On tv4 I just modified the plugin to show a message every 10 minutes instead.

Thanks for your suggestions.
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my problem isnt really with the server but with a lot of the new people coming in. Ever since steam i've noticed an increase in cussing and generally an increase in annoying people(not that i'm not annoying )

yeah i remember the probs with the reserved spots. like it would say 22/22 then ith would be 23/24 and it would kick you if you tired to join.

SilverOne wrote:
But I do understand where you are coming from on this. I have had some complaints that the blood is not realistic

if you all had my luck with dod you wouldnt even begin to think dod is realistic
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up to Silvers Post...

Max Players will most likely stay where its at, I have more fun when the server has more players on . Plus no server op likes to see his server not running at capacity. This issue has been brought up since our servers were just tfc. Maps can still be won I see it everyday. More Killing = More Fun...

Reserved slots are a real pain in the ass, steam does not work with them at all! Also the plugins for them are not really good yet, and the do work differnt than what you are used to. But im slowly learning how the plugins are coded and might be able to come up with something soon.

Same Feeling on Death Stats... There after you die so they dont get in the way. Our servers are More Than Powerfull enough to handle them.

Bloods kind of the same feeling as Silverone.. Except the blood will stay, I really dont care about DOD being realistic because its a game and im here to have fun.

Messages, alot of the MOTMS are needed, they appear on the left hand bottom corner of the screen so there are pretty much out of the way.. Basically they just remind players of our website and a few rules..

The center message can be annoying, but this just gives the hostname and our website. Kind of needed Help to steer people to theville.org. It was appearing 5 minutes(never noticed it was that often), so i have increased the time to 10 minutes.

Cussing, Yea its bad at times and ill kick players if they are caught. I know there are such things as swear filters, but last time i used one i was called a communist for censoring..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The only reason why tv1 and 4 are at 24 players is because we are having an issue with admin reserve slots. Once that gets fixed we should have it back to 22 players with 2 reserves.

Death Stats. We haven't had any complaints on them till this. My opinion, its something to look at when you die. Doesn't really take much power since our servers can easily handle it. Can be changed in the future though if we get more people who don't like them.

Blood. We have had many positive compliments on this feature from players. Makes our servers different from the others out there. Every time im on someone says this blood is great. We have had outside admins contact us too on how to get it, etc. But I do understand where you are coming from on this. I have had some complaints that the blood is not realistic, its too much, or.. they like DoD for what is it.. like yourself. After thinking about this for awile I tend to agree with you on this point. I may take it off on tv4 since tv1 has it. Ill have to decide later.

I also agree on the messages. I never really realized it, but the messages are popping up every 60 seconds by the plugin. On tv4 I just modified the plugin to show a message every 10 minutes instead

Last edited by Dann0 on Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
cstone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the main problem for me is player size. The other things are just minor anoyances. Wasn't there a TV server w/ 16 maxplayers at one point?
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cstone wrote:
Well the main problem for me is player size. The other things are just minor anoyances. Wasn't there a TV server w/ 16 maxplayers at one point?

Yes tv4 was 16 players until it went from a partial to full t1.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more players, the more people to shoot.
merf
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Server issues Reply with quote

cstone wrote:
Just thought I'd voice my opinion on some issues that bother me w/ the new Ville DOD servers:

1. Too many players. 24 is a *lot* of players for most DOD maps. games usually end up in a stalemate when you can't go 5 steps without running into another player.
  2. Death stats. these seem cool at first, but it turns into information overload pretty quickly. I can't imagine they help out server perfomance much either.
  3. Blood spouting. this is also *very* distracting, especially when I can't see a death animation b/c the guy I'm attacking is spouting blood.
  4. Constant text updates. these are also rather distracting. Maybe a short blurb about the URL every 10 - 15 mins would suffice.

Sorry for all the complaints, but I just don't like these new additions. Sure they're neat and cool, but DOD is fine the way it is.

LOL....this has got to be the only time I've heard someone complain about TOO MANY players. The servers can handle the amount of players we have now so that will not change. As far as the death stats go...they only show up when your dead so if you don't like'em don't look
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or even better, don't die.
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Server issues Reply with quote

MErf wrote:
cstone wrote:

LOL....this has got to be the only time I've heard someone complain about TOO MANY players. The servers can handle the amount of players we have now so that will not change. As far as the death stats go...they only show up when your dead so if you don't like'em don't look

naw i dont like having a lot of players either. its pretty good where its at. that is about as high as i would go. the 32 player servers just annoy me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]Master_Chief wrote:
my problem isnt really with the server but with a lot of the new people coming in. Ever since steam i've noticed an increase in cussing and generally an increase in annoying people(not that i'm not annoying )

When CSers have direct access to a different game they try it out, this= CSers playing DoD= More Cussing.

Last edited by Mulder on Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobra wrote:

If we have more players, I have a better chance of actually hitting something when I shoot.

This is key.

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
cobra wrote:

If we have more players, I have a better chance of actually hitting something when I shoot.

This is key.

next you'll be asking for friendly fire....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More players = more lag, specially with Steam. On Won i was getting a 200-250 ping, on Steam i get a 2k ping, i got the same conn, same m/s up down, buta 2k ping, thats why i don't play DOD anymore.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The max players has nothing to do with your lag. Load on the server is actually less now that we are using steam, and bandwidth is still more than adequete to host that many players. Also we have actually just upgraded tv1 and tv4 in the last few months with new motherboards and new cpu's. The servers hardware is actually quite a overkill to run DOD.

We have done all the calculations and have adjusted the maxplayers accordingly. We WOULD not purposely overload a server just to lag you out. We know what we are doing with these servers. We have been doing this for a few years now.

There were plenty of times with WON where we had the server maxed out at 24. The maxplayers has not changed since WON its just that they are visible to you now.

Any lag in your case shovel is client side. Either your connection or your route to the host.. If your lag is that bad its time to call your provider or get a better connection. Plus you really cant expect much off a dialup connection with DOD anymore.

If you want help in possibly tweaking out your dial up connection i would say to talk to Stevo, hes dealt with his dial up for quite a while now. And I havent noticed anyones lag get any worse on the servers, dial up or broadband.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: