FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scripts and stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we ever came to a conclusion about that, eagle.
I consider scripts like that as the weakest form of cheating, but others disagree.

To snaggle - once you press feign, you cannot throw a pack.
And it's surprisingly difficult to throw a pack and feign to look convincing (not that it ever does to anyone who's been playing for more than 2 days)

Bakuryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if you need scripts to be skilled, you should play without them to build your skill. It just seems to me that there is more honor playing the game without the aid of scripts, running on more human skill than that of a machine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew that, Thanks Greebo.
Tommy.Chong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the infect from a distance script....i was playing at casbah an it was just me an this medic playing Please Dont Kill Me...No wonID.Im not even for sure he was using a script like that but i was in my respawn at the APC an he was like at the entrance to the respawn an i got infected. Im pretty sure he wasnt close enough to infect me an im just wondering how is a good way besides the med being a football field away an infects you....Is there anyway to tell if someone is running a script like that?
Tommy.Chong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleEyes i can understand the duck+jump script an i dont see how that one can be considered cheating as its a button combo that can be acomplished with the two keyboard keys.But having a script todo that could shave a couple fractions of asecond off the time it takes to push those 2buttons.If its said its ok to use that script could i have it? I have a serious problem timing that kinda jump. Thnx

FingerDemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy,

My passing reference to the medic infecting from a distance is actually just something I thought I read about once. I've never seen a script that does it. I have heard about scripts that switch to medpack more quickly than normal, but that shouldn't affect how close you have to be. I used to think I was seeing cheating medics infecting from a distance pretty regularly, but actually lag makes it look like that too sometimes, so I don't assume its a cheat unless I know for certain.

Since I brought it up, I thought I'd better clarify that.

Your best bet is to not take chances with lag timing and just kill CycoDad before he gets anywhere near you.

FingerDemon
omega_initiative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid, wow, thanks for the tips. Those are great. It must taken you a long time to come up with that, thanks a lot.

Tommy.Chong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FingerDemon,Thanks for for clearing that up.I didnt accuse the person,it was just a thought that went through my head even before i read that. i think any ville regular should visit that site every once in awhile to see what the llamas are churning up.LaC clan? Are they banned here ? They should be if so>Sorry for bringing it up. (LaC=Lame Ass Cheaters) they pride their cheatin selves on making your experience on any half life server a pain in the rear. i thank the ville admins for running Anti Cheat software.

after reading a previous post in another section i was unaware of the problems posting a known cheating site could cause i appologize to anyone who seen this post an hope it doesnt get me in any trouble._________________
Friends don't let Friends play Quake

[ This Message was edited by: Tommy.Chong on 2002-01-10 01:23 ]
stupid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilbigcip: I'm curious as to why dropitems and feigning bound together would be considered cheating. The difference between pressing the "x" key then feigning immeadiately after and binding a key to the same thing is not even noticable. We're talking like less then 1/2 second difference.

The way I define cheating is something that gives you an unfair advantage, does having a jump+crouch or feign+dropitems script really give you an unfair advantage?
In my experience I've actually found a jump+crouch to be a disadvantage in certain situations (ie. trying to rj into the window of openfire, if you are crouched you just slide off the window).
There are only a couple of scripts which i think are sketchy. One would be the maximum height rj script which lets you get out of the pit in xo2 with one rj and not a double rj. And maybe a script which changes cl_pitchdown so that you can place pipebombs straight down, as this is not possible with default settings.
I have a question for the admins, what scripts are considered cheating here?... I use some scripts (mostly communication) and I want to make sure that I'm not breaking any server rules.
thewz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone who is stupid enough to want to feign in front of someone deserves to have a script that discards a pack

Seriously though, how would the pack help you? Most people who see someone running in their base and then drop to the ground for no reason, with no blood will know that it is a feigning spy. Even if you do a die/drop pack script while no one is looking that won't help you, as most of the times when you see corpses, there are no packs near them, because engies or other peeps have taken them. The only thing that a pack does for you, is bring enemies closer to you. An engy, or anyone who is low on ammo will see the pack, run towards it and most likely notice your feigning body. It is pretty easy to discern a feign and a real corpse.
stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avenger:
You would be very surprised by that feign. You dont try to feign in secret, rather you run in and raise a ruckus until someone starts shooting you, then feign and act like they killed you. Sounds like it would be obvious, but you would be VERY surprised. Especially when you are undisguised and getting shot by an sg, as soon as you feign it stops shooting and you look dead. I dont play a lot of spy, but it works for me.
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well All I can say is you must be feigning in front of people who never read the Spy Spotting Thread in JD's tips forum. Anyone who feigns within my area can expect a crowbar, wrench or medkit death

I make it a point to know who the spies are on the other team and look for the kill confirmation at a minimum. I run over any body I see laying around and there is a distinct delay when you cross a feigned spy. Maybe if more people used that script I'd get even more crowbar kills.

As far as scripts go, my opinion is if you need a script to conc jump or rocket jump then you are just showing off your scripting talents not playing the game. scripts that change pitch and stuff so you can bypass SG or lay pipeboms at your feet is cheating in my book.

I use classs specific cfg files that mostly contain binds. Some just have to do with the type of weapon rotation I like. I sorta have primary and secondary next weapon instead of the default rotation that comes with the game. The majority are neotf related or class specific binds. I guess the closest I have to a script is a semi random disguise chooser for the spy. I guess some people here might think that was unfair advantage having a single key spy disguise bind. The only thing it saves me from is running into walls while I'm using the special menu to change ddisguises. CyCoMom doesn't have it and she is a much better spy then I am.

How do people feel about scripts like grenade primers ? I think it is unfair to prime more than 1 of the same type of grenade by using a script. I'm not even sure you can, but I've seen scripts that prime multiple nades and then release them all at once. I suppose you could bind seperate keys to that even but I would still feel that was unfair. Just my opinion though.

The above was spoken as a player not an Admin.

Oh and thanks for the mention FingerDemon. I believe I was once voted (unoficially of course) as most annoying medic at the Ville. I still enjoy a good game as a medic most of all. However now I'm working more on spy as that is my weakest class. Still haven't figured out where to stab yet but I gaurantee I don't feign often
stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyco: priming multiple grens at the same time is impossible. However throwing an unprimed gren and then priming another one before the first explodes is probably what you are talking about. Mulch me sometime and I'll show you how that works, I'm usually on my 4th nade before the person I'm mulching gets to their third.

I dont understand this whole anti-feign thing, I dont know how you could play spy without that ability. Also, for you malicious crowbar swinging types, I have a key bound to kill to beat you to it hehe.

I agree with Cyco about rj and conc scripts. They are just pointless, unless you are always going to be playing on a LAN and have the same ping. They would just be too unpredictable, and besides I think I could rj/conc more accurately doing it manually.

I'm still confused as to what, specifically, is an illegal bind. Things like infecting from a distance, avoiding sg detection, and priming multiple nades at the same time are just not possible to do using a script. I hope that is not why scripts would not be allowed. I would be willing to send a copy of all of my .cfg's to an admin, but I just want to make sure I dont get banned for a script.
thewz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid,
I have had spies do this to me more than once. For the first 1,2 seconds I was fooled, but, it does not take long for me to realise that he is still alive. Perhaps this tactic would work against some of the newer players, who are less acquainted with spies, but most people would not be fooled by this.
SpeCies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this post about Scripts. LOL I think that I was the one that decided to die
and discard a pack at the sametime. I did not think nothing of it until I noticed this person looking at me named Greebo.We went into a detailed discussion here about this and I thought Robert lifted the ban on Scripts? atleast that is what I was told anyway.I stopped using that script because I did not want to interfere with anything here. Look for the Thread that I started in September 2001 for the entire discussion.

[ This Message was edited by: SpeCies on 2002-01-14 12:35 ]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: