FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
i r teh lag...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: i r teh lag... Reply with quote

im not exactly sure why, but my pings are getting worse and worse. i have played with 2 people in my neighborhood at the same time on the ville and they have no problems... so im pretty sure its not my cable provider. my cpu is decent, so is my graphics card, so im confused as what could be causing this and i am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to possible ways to inprove my ping

any help will be appreciated

-shov
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your modem? a firewall blocking you off??
JtH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im good friends with the shovel so in his abscence and so this posted doesnt get bumped into oblivion i will answer those questions.

1 hes running a cable modem in the same area as me and i get way better ping then him.
2 hes not behind a firewall so that could not be the problem

heres my guess. hes running the cable modem into his cpu via a usb cable. i think he needs to get a lan card and run it into that.

he has plenty of ram, i think around 700 mbits ddr ram
hes running a pentium 4 processer clocked around i think 1.4 gigahertz
hes using a 32 mbit geforce 2 or 3 so i dont think thats the problem.

ive played dod on his computer before so lemme elaborate. his problem is not in the traditional sense of the term lag. he usually gets a steady ping but his game chops. he will be walking then he will just shoot forward. this problem only occurs with dod and not with any other mod. we've played cs and ns before and never had this problem. i know the problem is client side because it doesnt happen to me when we are playing the game. also if his game isnt chopping like that he gets terrible lag spikes. his ping will be around 100 then bam it will go to 1000 and a fraction of a second later its back down to 100. very very quick. with that high jump in ping he just gets the normal problems associated with high latency nothing different. and if im correct its always one or the other, and never both at the same time.

jack
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all download the latest drivers for the card. if already done try this.

DK wrote:
On Nvidia cards just go to the settings and turn v-sync disabled by default and then in console type fps_max 100 and you will be at 99 all the time (must be a good card).

if you are sure that it isn't your card but your connection try this:

i suggest you call your ISP and let them do a check on the modem. it could be that the modem is malfunctioning.

i had the same problem a month ago. i was at 50/100k downloadspeed on broadband. turned out the modem was malfunctioning. now i'm back at 550kb/s
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like a choke problem. The same thing you described happens to me on occasion. I have preset all my rates and adjust my updaterate as needed in game. TV4 won't allow past 12 and TV1 up to 30 at times. Violent Pacifist had a thread up on adjustments. Maybe try that, I think that may be it.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
JtH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know stupid question but,
When was the last time you defragged?

I got systemworks from norton, defragged, and mine is much better now

Cool Sig by KRG. Thx

The Proud, the Few, US-V or The Ville Supporters (V$)!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: