FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Interesting stuff about gaming
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Interesting stuff about gaming Reply with quote

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993775

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They boost visual skills, but they also lower social skills ;P
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

She doubts the games cultivate the sustained attention needed for tasks such as reading, for example.

She's obviously not actually done any gaming herself. If you're not
paying attention you tend to end up dead.

Quote:

She would like to tease apart those effects, so that she can create programs that improve visual performance without exposing patients to the violent images that dominate many of the games.

Yeah, cause we all know those violent images will make the
patients turn into super-serial killers in 10 seconds.

Sometimes people that call themselves scientists annoy me.
The very word scientist, from a latin root for knowledge, should
imply that they pay attention to simple things, like how many
people play violent games and how few of them kill people, or
the huge amount of concentration it can take to play commander in
NS, but somehow that gets lost on her brilliance...

Finally, and most amusing and annoying at once: Playing action games
can improve your visual skills! Wow, no kidding? I also heard that
practicing the piano makes you play better, too! I've even heard
people say that using ANY kind of skill or ability alot causes that
ability to develop further! Man it's great we have scientists around to
tell us these things, don't we?

Okay, now that I've had my sarcasm out at it, the fact that they're
looking into using this to develop treatments for stroke victims and
such is cetainly cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="My Personal Insanity"]
Quote:

I'm a scientist

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Paddyjack"]
My Personal Insanity wrote:
Quote:

I'm a scientist

nuff said....

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think she ment it in that way. Some 5 year kid doesn't need to be playing games such as Medal of Honor or GTA. Also, some adults would probably prefer to increase thier visual performenace without having to play those games either. She makes it sound like the violence in games is "bad", but I think it's a better idea to do what she's doing.

Though I have to agree with MPI. It shouldn't have taken a scientist to figure this out. I could've told you this when I first played GoldenEye or TFC for hours on end. It became even more clear when I would play CS or DoD for a while and then play TFC. In TFC, I would get a lot more body shots as soldier, and it would be easier to follow people.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:

I don't think she ment it in that way. Some 5 year kid doesn't need to be playing games such as Medal of Honor or GTA. Also, some adults would probably prefer to increase thier visual performenace without having to play those games either. She makes it sound like the violence in games is "bad", but I think it's a better idea to do what she's doing.

Though I have to agree with MPI. It shouldn't have taken a scientist to figure this out. I could've told you this when I first played GoldenEye or TFC for hours on end. It became even more clear when I would play CS or DoD for a while and then play TFC. In TFC, I would get a lot more body shots as soldier, and it would be easier to follow people.

<Now putting his scientist hat>

There are a lot of things which are "obvious", that we instinctively know, but need to be proved to make it a fact. It is obvious smoking is bad for your health and increase the chances of lung cancer.... Strangely, unless real proof is produced it won't be a fact.

On the other hand, some other obvious things have been found not so true after studies. I don't have any examples right now, but I know they exist

<now putting back his fool's hat>

PondScm007

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah staring at my computer has shot my depth perception, it takes a little to adjust to different scales of stuff moving at me sometimes... though im sure it does help noticing small differences (esp playing that squint-yourself-to-blindness NS heh) and other stuff... games are horribly violent "these days"... alot of things in games are so realistic, even hyperrealistic, and scary as hell! i almsot crapped my pants playing the doom3 alpha for the first time... and time at a computer has to help with reading/comprehension stuff if not spelling : o becasue all youre doing is reading and writing, my comptuer still doesnt talk too much

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beast

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me that scientists are considered intelligent and educated when they seem to never stop spewing total bulls**t.

I've been an avid gamer all my life. I'm a very social, well-adjusted person. If it wasn't for all these "violent" videogames devoloping my eye-hand co-ordination, I wouldn't be a top-notch welder today.

The social commentary that I read about gamering being a general bad influence is total crap. These very same people listened to rock & roll back when they were kids, and "scientists" said that it would make them violent and anti-social. Surprised it came full circle? I'm not.

Screw the baby-boomers that make mountains out of molehills. #Fist
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me that scientists are considered intelligent and educated when they seem to never stop spewing total bulls**t.

I've been an avid gamer all my life. I'm a very social, well-adjusted person. If it wasn't for all these "violent" videogames devoloping my eye-hand co-ordination, I wouldn't be a top-notch welder today.

The social commentary that I read about gamering being a general bad influence is total crap. These very same people listened to rock & roll back when they were kids, and "scientists" said that it would make them violent and anti-social. Surprised it came full circle? I'm not.

It's not scientists that said it's bad influence, it's social workers, psy, and most of all, the parents

My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack wrote:

There are a lot of things which are "obvious", that we instinctively know, but need to be proved to make it a fact.

Uhm, no, they're still facts, unless you're one of the hyper-relativists.
You just haven't proven them with the scientific method yet.

But with my luck you'll turn out to be really into relativism and this
will turn into another 'there is no reality' fest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:

Huzzah!

I've been playing violent video games since I was about 10, or even younger if these scientists consider shooting planes and aliens down violent. GoldenEye was especially fun, and even more so when I found out I could turn invincibility on and go around throwing knives at people. It didn't make me want to go around shooting people. I thought it was just hilarious to go around chopping people up with your hands, shooting people in the crotch to make them do weird poses, and to memorize the sequence of the death sounds (I played a lot). Then came Perfect Dark, where I would go to the weapon training room, prop the door open, and throw poiseneus knives into my instructor. Things like that didn't make me a violent kid.

If anything, things like GoldenEye, GTA, Perfect Dark, and HL, are better described as "stress relief". If you ever get extremely mad at your boss or teacher or something, go play GTA with invincibility. Grab a screwdriver, and run around destroying people and cars. Or use a flamethrower if you prefer. Games like those help me get rid of any violence/anger that I may have built up, and therefore STOP me from being violent/angry.

If kids are exposed to violent games and shows at an early age (like......5) then it'll probably have at least a slight effect on them. Some kids are abused/neglected, and are already in a bad mental state. It'll probably have an effect on them. But saying that violent games and shows can make an average, regular, teenage gamer go beserk is just plain stupid.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack wrote:

There are a lot of things which are "obvious", that we instinctively know, but need to be proved to make it a fact.

Uhm, no, they're still facts, unless you're one of the hyper-relativists.
You just haven't proven them with the scientific method yet.

But with my luck you'll turn out to be really into relativism and this
will turn into another 'there is no reality' fest.

<point finger up>
<take a deep breath>

"What is Truth...?"

Lol, don't worry, I'm studying infectious diseases, very far from these relativist fields.

Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuLiShA wrote:
They boost visual skills, but they also lower social skills ;P

That explains a lot......

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack wrote:

Lol, don't worry, I'm studying infectious diseases, very far from these relativist fields.

That's gotta be fun to say at parties. "Oh, yeah, I study
infectious diseases."

Well you win the Golden Houndeye award for today!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: