FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hack/Cheat detection

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeCies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Hack/Cheat detection Reply with quote

Hi, I have had it with these llamas and their hacks.

1)Skins that allow player to see through walls
2)Recoil Scripts that takes the kick out of any automatic weapon making it a breeze to aquire your target.
3)Health boosts that give a player double the life expectancy.

If you have not already installed this on the DOD server Silverone then please do.

http://www.unitedadmins.com/files/hlg-1_41-en.zip
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a health hack? No wonder I can fill people with almost an entire clip and they don't die.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe you can't aim? :p
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true...i need that automatic hax
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing hlguard may help with is..

cvar blocking and detection, and aimbot detection.
Versions in the past also slightly increased lag and bandwidth needed.

Right now there are 45 DoD servers out of 1065 out there running the current version of hlguard (1.41) There are 200 or so running the last version 1.35. Its not as popular as it used to be. United admins just hasnt been keeping up with what cheats are out there. Maybe that is changing with this current update.

VAC (valve anti cheat) is running on the server. Which has updated a couple times in the last few weeks. The DoD server community hopes this trend continues with Valve.

We did have hlguard on tv4 when it first started. We took it off, along with many of the other extra's you may see on the other ville servers because we were having many overflow issues with tv4 the first month in operation. It got bad enough we had to rebuild the whole file system from scratch. So.. when we brought it back up Danno set it up very basic, just what it needed to perform well, and correctly with any crashing issues. So we been living on the saying...dont change what is not broken. The server has been great since then.

Being this way.. it allowed us to raise the max players 2 more from the original 14 max about a month ago to 16.

Edited the rest out after reading Danno's post below hehe

"STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE" ~Blue Ruler
"Silver is Cheezylicious" ~MErf

Last edited by SilverOne on Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dann0
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLGuard is a just a joke. Cheats come out 50 times faster than HLGuard can be updated. We had HLGuard on TV1 since it came up. It never caught any Aimbots, Cheats or anything. All it did was increase lag to the point where it was unplayable, even with most if not all of its features turned off. Our Top Notch admins, and regs always caught the cheaters before hlguard saw them. I cant tell you how many differnt versions that i tried always hopeing that the newer version would help but it never did. Stick with VAC, it doesnt add any lag and does get updated alot more often than HLGuard did, plus its automatic.

Also becarefull of who you are accusing, alot of these players are just really good players who have probably played in leagues and such for quite a while and they take great offense to being called a cheater.. If you have never actually seen a cheat in action then its really really hard to tell if somebody is actually cheating.

Trust me i get really pissed to when i get killed like 10 times in a row, but then i just quit for a while and come back when i have calmed down.

Silver keep your server playable dont use hlguard stick with VAC!
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushido wrote:
There's a health hack? No wonder I can fill people with almost an entire clip and they don't die.

Well be careful with that, because I've seen an occurence last friday where this kind of accusation was made against a player which happens to be a real-life friend of mine. If there is ever something I know for sure, it is that this guy certainly do not cheat.

Emptying clips and get no kill is fairly frequent in DoD. Heck, sometimes a guy will shoot me and I shoot back and I kill him first wondering how I can still be alive. Never forget that quick kills are done shooting at the head. If you empty the clip in the general direction of the feet, well good luck.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1337 wrote:
Silver keep your server playable dont use hlguard stick with VAC!

I know you have tons of experience with hlguard so ill take your word for it.

"STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE" ~Blue Ruler
"Silver is Cheezylicious" ~MErf
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VAC does a better job than most people think. Unlike HLGuard it doesn't make a scene if a cheat is found, (ie playing the Another One Bites The Dust wav, and flashing the players name on the screen like a Vegas billboard) it just simply kicks you to the console and tells you to remove the cheat before you try and play again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only unfortunate things about VAC is that it makes no distinction between good hacks and evil cheats. While this might not be an issue to some I personally like the added "features" of being able to see how fast I'm bhopping and the current time. Additionally it cannot see more advanced hacks which do not hook into half-life conventionally.
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToRaK wrote:
Additionally it cannot see more advanced hacks which do not hook into half-life conventionally.

If you're referrring to OpenGL hacks, it does detect them as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert E. Lee wrote:
ToRaK wrote:
Additionally it cannot see more advanced hacks which do not hook into half-life conventionally.

If you're referrring to OpenGL hacks, it does detect them as well.

I've heard of a few hooks that get around it. But, at least it is a start and hopefully will weed out the garden variaty hacks.
unterseebiermeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last week i dl'ed one of the latest opengl hax to see how it works, and tried it out on a server i don't like, one that does run VAC and hlguard both. I played for over an hour with full wallhack and aimbot, and only got kicked and banned after taking out 3 guys with 3 quick shots from the carbine, one of whom was flying through the air at the time, guess that was too blatant even for those morons. Anyway now i know some of the weaknesses, and some of the signs of use.

i have noticed that spectating will usually catch the wallhackers and speedhacks, but not the aimbots or health improvers. i dunno what the answer is, but i sure have seen a lot of unbelievable shooting on here lately. i saw one guy yesterday sniping people with single MP44 shots from the church tower in anzio, and another making >50 yard multiple kills with a K43 while running in caen2. Wallhacking mg'ers are my personal favorite, they love to take you out thru solid walls (and i love to shovel the bastids).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everybody here is paranoid when it comes down to seperating the legit players with talent from the llamas here who cheat. I just would feel better knowing that players have to be Authenticated first before playing is all.

I've played on 32 player servers that run the same program like theville used to that have never caused any problems while I was in a game. I can deal with a server that lags a bit/overflows more then then I can dealing with a server which is totally open and unprotected from cheaters.

Maybe the software that caused all of the problems here before were fixed with the latest release of HL Guard ? I've heard using HL Boost with any anti-cheat software will create problems. Just a thought
ToRaK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with HLGuard is that it DOES NOT WORK. United Admins must fight an uphill battle but they are simply swamped and the costs of running it does not justify the resources it ties up.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: