FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
You buy a new computer.....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usually Dead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: You buy a new computer..... Reply with quote

You buy a new computer from one of the big name companies, IBM, Dell (weed not included, of course), Gateway, whatever you like.

The computer is big and nice. Lots of memory, a huge hard drive, fast CPU, high end graphics card, so on.

The company who sells the computer offers a promotion. For a limited time only, you can get a free CD burner OR a CD/DVD rom drive with your purchase.

So my question is, if you HAD to choose bewteen EITHER a CD rom burner or a OR a CD/DVD drive, which would you choose? Why would you make that choice?
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me...

cd burner. I already have too many dvd players in my house.

also, with cd burner you can make your own cds. Fun. CD/DVD players aren't that good on computers, anywez.

however, if it's a slow cd burner (x4-x8 speed only) then i would trash it in favor of the cd/dvd player.

eeny, meeny, miny, mo...
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazebari wrote:
for me...

cd burner. I already have too many dvd players in my house.

also, with cd burner you can make your own cds. Fun. CD/DVD players aren't that good on computers, anywez.

however, if it's a slow cd burner (x4-x8 speed only) then i would trash it in favor of the cd/dvd player.

eeny, meeny, miny, mo...

Exactly the same here. However I will not sit at my computer desk for 2 hours to watch a movie, I have a hard enough time sitting on my couch for that long at one time. With a burner you can burn music, data to save on hard drive space or sharing, and so on. I think the burner is much more versitile for my needs.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
sgt stutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRN wrote:
Quote:
Exactly the same here. However I will not sit at my computer desk for 2 hours to watch a movie, I have a hard enough time sitting on my couch for that long at one time. With a burner you can burn music, data to save on hard drive space or sharing, and so on. I think the burner is much more versitile for my needs

My thoughts also.

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
[njk]Nopeace4u-DBD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleh, get custom built, package comps are just problem comps
SpeCies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said a mouthful,nothing but bugs. Do you need to know who has the weed? The PC's Support techs is who.. Avoid a major headache! get it built locally at your area pc shop. Know the tech first.

You a moi
[njk]Nopeace4u-DBD wrote:
bleh, get custom built, package comps are just problem comps
Usually Dead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the custom built computer philosophy. My computer is custom built. Making your own is much cheaper.

But.... the point of this thread is not so much about buying a computer. (I really just wanted to make a joke about Dell ) The point is -- if you had to choose one above the other, would you take a CD rom burner or a CD/DVD drive and why?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the burner. It is probably more expensive than the DVD, as they are not too high. Plus, you can do backups on the burner, which is something everyone should do that has one.

Play under the names...Darlon Jeel, The Ghost, The Spirit, and <NSA>Whatever
`RaphX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a half-decent burner (mine is 16 write, 10 rewrite and 32 read), it's good for saving divx files for later use, rather than have them take up several gigs of hard disk space.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. You really can't build a power computer without including a cd-rw drive. By the same token a few applications (and more in the future) will be moving to dvd. Get both, it's only 50$ more max.
thewz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a 16x DVD 32/10/40 CD-RW drive...
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually Dead wrote:
I agree with the custom built computer philosophy. My computer is custom built. Making your own is much cheaper.

Until you got to buy the software. I built one once before and after all was said and done it was no cheaper to build it then to have it built for me. Mine is a gateway but I had it built custom. I've never had any major issues with it, in fact I love it. This is the first machine I've actually enjoyed since I started with computers

God Bless You Blue Ruler
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: