FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A noob's guide to dod?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vulcan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: A noob's guide to dod? Reply with quote

Either I am missing something to dod, or it is just a boring game. Someone want to enlighten me?
Pvt. Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: ur' wrong!! Reply with quote

u r wrong vorg it's a very nice game!!!!

yours truly,

1st Rangers | Pvt. Jackson\
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOD hasn't as much action as TFC.

While in TFC you directly have action from the moment you leave your spawn, in DOD it's more about strategies. there is action but not as much as in TFC.
Vulcan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: ur' wrong!! Reply with quote

Pvt. Jackson wrote:

yours truly,

Maybe for some, but it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea, at least from what I have tried of it.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ur' wrong!! Reply with quote

Borg wrote:
Pvt. Jackson wrote:

yours truly,

Maybe for some, but it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea, at least from what I have tried of it.

Well, for one, you can't kill yourself (well it's harder)

Seriously, in TFC you can do anything because as long as someone sees you, there is still time to run in circle, jump, and you shoot as accuratly while running than standing still.

It is different in DoD:
The point of most maps is to pass over flags, a la Warpath, except you don't need to cap them in order, and for some, you need to be 2 or 3 guys standing on the flag to cap. In DoD, if someone sees you first, you are most likely dead the instant after because of the great accuracy of the weapons, and the few shots it takes to kill (often one is enough if it is headshot). This means you don't rush forward, but in a more circumspect way, watching every window, hole in wall, junk on the floor... etc. The best is to move in groups of 2 or 3, to watch your six. With more eyes there is a good chance hidden enemies can be spotted.

Some weapons lose completly their accuracy when you move, and even more when you run (though I see some players still amazing in accuracy while running with the machine gun )

Now, when you die, you go back in respawn, but there will be a delay, ranging from 1 second to 10 seconds, depending of the time of your death in regard of the next respawn time.

Beware of hiding behind walls, some can be shot through. And remember, there is always somebody hiding somewhere, but that doesn't mean you need to stay hidden in fear. The point of the game is to cap flags, and it doesn't mean shit if you die, but it is good for your team if you die while capping a flag. That is one flag less for your team to cap.

DoD is probably the most frustrating game I've played, because you can be killed so fast. In TFC, you can react and evade, take a few bullets and fight back. In DoD it is very hard to do. And bullets come from everywhere, and in addition, grenade blast are amazingly large, so you can get killed even if you don't see the grenade (escpecially aliies').

Give the game a chance, it is refreshing from TFC. ANd if you don't like it, well it happens. You are not obliged to like every game

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!

Last edited by Paddyjack on Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best part of the game is taking a [really] long range shot with one of the game's rifles (Mauser K98 or M1 Garand) and nailing that pesky mg/sniper that's been taking out your troops...then noticing you got TWO kills, because there was a second sniper that was rreeeally close to the first...
GoldenSpy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part of DoD is sneaking around and flanking that sniper or MG nest that's been mowing down my team
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its great fun sometimes and a really nice break formt he speed of tfc... personally i liek the support infantry/Unteroffizer the sniper ( either side) they jsutr seem liek more fun in DoD. and of course random.... jsut to figure out other classes. one thing i did find out is the rifles are extremely accurate, even if you sjut pause in running for a second the x-hairs will re-align near instantly... maybe thats why people always kill me that way....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ur' wrong!! Reply with quote

Borg wrote:
Pvt. Jackson wrote:

yours truly,

I thought the same thing Borg. When I first played it I hated it. Then I started to figure things out a little bit at a time. I am now very addicted to it.

The big difference between the 2 Mods is DOD is definately a team oriented game. If your teammates aren't working with you then there is no way that your team will win. Most of the people I have run across in game know this as well. Working together with your team is awesome and very neccesary.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Vulcan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember why I stopped playing dod last time. I could never get into it. The game just never did appeal towards me.
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenSpy wrote:
My favorite part of DoD is sneaking around and flanking that sniper or MG nest that's been mowing down my team

Then that sniper turns on you and shoots you because he notices slight environment changes. Then he continues to mow down your team again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockwave wrote:
GoldenSpy wrote:

Then that sniper turns on you and shoots you because he notices slight environment changes. Then he continues to mow down your team again.

pffft..... I know too well what you mean.... eh Shockwave?

"Magic"

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
private344

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to agree with Paddy: i know that feeling all too well. Damn u Shocky !!!!
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting constantly killed in one shot isn't too fun. That and a few other thigns have turned me off from the game.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: