FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Soldiers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some ways to counter the soldier? I want to improve in that area. Thanks, Snagg
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approch him from a distance. Be a sniper and kill him with one shot. Throw emps at him as an engi, using the super shorty and dodging the rockets.

If you are another soldier just be better than he is. Direct hits hurt more, but are harder to come by. A rocket to the ground will throw them up into the air and allow you to reload to fire another off and still have more in the launcher.

The key is to keep your distance and know how to strafe and circle strafe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cstone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isnt much help on Avanti, but a good conc grenade thrown at a soldier's feet should just about neutralize him.

Just watch out for a primed grenade, and in tight spaces he can still do some damage w/ the rockets.

-cstone
thewz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some solly vs solly tactics I learned:
If he rockets you into the air, use it to your advantage! most players won't expect you to fire at them while you are in the air (for some strange reason) and they will have the hardest time hitting you while you are in the air, fire off a volley of rockets. Do it quickly tho cuz you prolly won't spend more than 1-3 seconds in the air, depending on how, where and when he shot you.

Don't rely on your rl too much, any good player will retreat and dodge your rockets. Pull out your super shotty and blow em to hell! The other day on epicenter I was playing demo and a solly came after me, I was able to retreat from him and shoot pipes/gl grenades at him and killed him. Take advantage of the solly's slow speed and bad long range arsenal.

FragFailure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tactic is to switch to offensive engy and emp the to death if spy is failing

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well since i play soldier a ton i'd say the worst thing for a soldier is getting conced. good medics seem to be able to deal with soldiers well. keep firing the super shotgun and get a conc ready. hell i'm not even a decent medic but i've noticed that i can take on soldiers by using my speed, shotgun, and concs to my advantage.

as for other classes emps are annoying as hell. i've almost got into a habit now where if i see an engy i run and fire at them from a distance or try to shoot them so they screw up on their emp toss.

i think HWs are poor for dealing with soldiers, if i am not playing like a retard (which is not as often as i would like) then i can usually kill most HWs with more than half my health and armor left.

snipers are ok for dealing with soldiers if you are a good snipe. however if the soldier moves around a lot and you cant pick him off before he sees you then the soldier has the advantage because he forces you to move and lose the charge on the rifle.

finally, i still think the best to beat a soldier is to be a soldier and just be better than them. sorry if that sounds like a bullshit answer but thats my opinion. i dont run into other classes that kill me over and over and over again, but i do run into soldiers like that.

oh yeah i forgot spies...i can pick out spies pretty good so they dont bother me too much unless i am not expecting them. if one surprises me and OJs me then i look out for them and spy check. so unless you are just hunting one person for one kill then i wouldnt recommend spies unless you are really good at it.

so thats my advice take it for what its worth
robbie

[ This Message was edited by: BigCaulk69 on 2001-12-19 14:20 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kazebari?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, HWGUY vs Soldier tactics:

If the soldier jumps around, don't just stand there! Side-step, jump, jump while moving sideways, and always try to lead/hit him with your ac. If it gets really annoying prime a grenade!

Most soldiers in my opinion like to jump to the side, fire off a rocket, jump to the left a few times, fire off a rocket, go to the right, etc.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learn to snipe like JD, HW like YPOWOM, spy like Bada, Eng like bakuryu, medic like Tink,... you get the picture
Good luck

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed is that most soldiers like to bounce you with their RL. 9/10 of the time they head to your left and attempt to circle you. If you can use this to your advantage and move out of the blast radius, you can go at them after the 4th rocket. Due to the reload being a laborious task.
splatter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I will regret telling you this cause you will end up useing it against me . I play solgier almost exclusively and I have a hard time killing anyone at a really short distance . so what i am saying is if you can get right up in there face it is hard for the solgier to get a beed on you and if he does hit you with a rocket it will often kill him due to the mirror damage.
good luck

I said stand STILL
Ikana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I play soldier more than any other class, and I have good success most of the time because people don't know what to do when they see a soldier.

To me, being conced can be bad but not devastating. The best thing to do as a soldier after being conced is throw nades because nades aren't affected too much by concs if you prime them right.

Medics can be very annoying, true. What I do when I see a medic is shoot in front of him so it blasts him backwards until he's dead, because most medics wont give up in trying to infect you before they die. If they're smart enough to use conc, I will suicide nade them because there isn't a whole lot else you can do. They usually infect you if they manage to conc you anyway.

Good engineers are the worst. emp grenades are by far the most effective grenades vs soldier. If you're engineer, use emp grenades.

As for getting up close, I wouldn't recommend that against a good soldier. What I do when someone gets close is I back up a bit at the last second and release the grenade that I primed. (I make it a habit to always prime a grenade when I see someone unless they're already almost dead or I wont be able to get the grenade to them in time) if I can't back up I just hold onto the grenade and let it blow up in my hands if I'm fighting a weaker class because chances are it will kill them and leave me at about 80/100.

Good snipers work well against soldiers. If I run into a good sniper I switch to scout and nailgun them until they give up and go find another spot.
NerUKierFKeal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol u do that to me almost everytime i snipe u
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: