FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ImageSelection

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: ImageSelection Reply with quote

How do you take an object out of a larger image without getting jagged edges, and without outlining the pixels in a different color?

I tried in photoshop but magic-wand is never specific enough
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use the magnetic lasso in Photoshop, use the regualar one.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off magic wand sucks.... never use it unless you change to channels or are using balck aginst white..

1. ALWAYS keep anti-aliasing on when chopping stuff, i don't know why its an option, only thing its ever helped me with off is making sprays

2. learn the pen tool, its your best bet. ( i'll try and explain it in a sec)

3. if you need to use the lasso tool, it can be great sometimes. if on a PC hold shift and select more to add tot he selection, hold alt( i think, its all mac at school) to take away fromt he selection.

4. play with feather radius, if you use the shift/alt selections then you can even change the feathering in between different parts of the selection to change the after affect.

5. sometimes ... sometimnes magic wand can work, jsut paly with the tolerance box, i think default is 32, but the mroe or less can change how the selection turns out entirely.

6. ahhh the pen tool explaination....
. slect the thing that looks liek a pen( simple enough) go around and anchor points aroudn the object you ar4e trying to select.
. hodl down on the pen tool in the tool pallette and change it to "convert point tool"
. you can then go to whatever anchors you made, and bend them as needed, you'll develop a feel for it after some practice. and learn how many anchors/where to make the anchors at after a while. then after its all bent to how you want, right click in the selection( which isn't a seleciton yet) and click on " make selection" if you are on mac, hold option or something and the menu should come up when you click. after the selection is made you can add/subtract using shift/alt as much as you need. then you can cut and paste as you need.. or copy.... this si the simple explaination i wish there was a way i coudl show you cause it can get confusing sometimes...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop:

First use the lasso tool to select the object as close as possible like drawing a bubble around it.

Then turn on quickmask and use the paintbrush tool with soft and hard edge brushes to color in the area around the object right to the edge of the pixels. You will most likely have to zoom in quite close and will take you quite some time to get an absolute perfect cutout. When you are done coloring it in, turn off quickmask and see what is selected. If the area around the object is selected instead of the object go to Select>Inverse and it will switch what is selected. After you have it out and away from everything you might even need to put it on a contrasting background and use the Eraser Tool to take care of little pixels you missed that are hanging off the edge.

Magic wand is only good if you have 2 really high contrasting shapes and you have to tune the Tolerance of it. The higher the tolerance the wider the range of pixel difference it will select. The lower the Tolerance the lower the range of pixel color. For example if you have it set to 100 Tolerance, and click on the white space around an object, it will select adjacent pixels with similar color and contrast. If you have it on 0 tolerance and clickthe white area, it will only select adjacent pixels with the exact HSB RGB values as the one you clicked.

You can use the pen tool also like Gizanked said, but I find that the quickmask is superior. I learned the Pen way and hated it. I found it much more accurate to color in, or erase away the actual selection area with quickmask.

Does that help?

Last edited by YourPowersAreWeakOldMan on Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses, they're a big help. I know that magic wand sucks unless you have a very stark contrast, but that was the only tool i knew for that sort of thing. I messed around with your suggestions and what i was trying to seperate came out looking awesome, ty for the help
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quickmask... forogt about that, also VERY helpful... thanks ypawom cause i really forgot, lol

oh and to change to quick mask, go to the tool palette and click the little square with a circle in it, you will know you are there if every color you use comes out as a pinkish red color.. the type of brush you use can really affect the outcome of the copied area...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I was going to say where it was, but I thought he might know..You can also change the color of the quickmask tool by double-clicking the quickmask button and selecting a color. I usually use a color that contrasts well with what I am selecting, or not selecting. A bright Lime Green usually works fairly well on most occasions since it's easier to see than yellow sometimes, and not many things are bright lime green. Red and Pink sometimes blend in too much...so find a good color to use.
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty again for the help, I used the pen tool to seperate a mongoose from a very similar background, and it came out good (it's on that sig i made in the General Ramblings)

PS-I used a feather of 2, and then tinkered with the little spots where it ran over with gray using the eraser.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: