FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cold Boot Issues

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Cold Boot Issues Reply with quote

Ok I need some help. I have picked the brains of a lot of the ville regs with my issue. I did i BIOS upgrade and now I have major cold boot problems. It has trouble recoginizing my CPU speed and freezes up my sys.

My boot time from dead off to working is now at a new work record of 1hr average time.

Sys Specs:

OS Win 2000k pro serv pack 3 plus additional updates
dx 9.0
MB Asus P4S333 bios version 1007c win2k version
P4 northwood 2.0 ghz
512 mb i stick pc2700 ram
Nivdia GeForce TI 4600 4x agp card
IBM 40 GB HD
Segate 9.0 gb hd
3com NIC
US Robotics 56k hardware modem
Plexor 10-12-40 cdrw
SoundBlaster Live
PS is 350watt
3 case and one pci blower fan
MS office Keyboard USB
MS Optical Mouse Explorer USB
Printer and Palm Pilot USB
Powersource UPS--runs on com but not connected at the moment

Previous BIOS version on the sys was 1006c.

I am debating goung back to that bios but pls any of you techies give me feed back. If i forgot anything I will post it.

DK
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no replys not a good thing
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you contacted the BIOS vendor?

I would recommend going back to what you know works (1006), contacting the vendor, and letting them know your issues.

They will need to know your chipset and mb, for sure. Probably will want to know some of the rest of the specs you posted.

Else just load the old BIOS and stick with it. Unless there was a problem you were trying to solve with the upgrade.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with all that in your case the first thing I would think is power supply....

To see if your powersupply is not up to the task simplify the config, loose things like cdr, cdrw, usb devices,2nd HDD, perhaps some fans.

But another way to troubleshoot is to simplify your config, get rid of as many things that the bios would see at POST and see if it gets anywhere.

You didnt say if your overclocking or not. Are you? If you are then roll back to factory settings for now and see if that helps.

If you fallback to the old bios ( and I would recommend it) does everything work again? If so compare bios settings for everything in the new vs the old, perhaps there is something tweaked that shouldnt be.

Have you contacted the motherboard manufacturer for help yet? Some have email and online forums for support.

Did you change anything else when you did the bios upgrade? Tweaks? new ram? anything? If so try to go back to the old stuff and see where you sit.

Also, why did you do the bios upgrade? Did you need to do it or did you just want to be at the latest level? I never recommend doing a bios upgrade unless you need it to support new hardware or it is going to gain you something that you really need.

Let me know if any of this helps.

JD
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe wrote:
Well with all that in your case the first thing I would think is power supply....

To see if your powersupply is not up to the task simplify the config, loose things like cdr, cdrw, usb devices,2nd HDD, perhaps some fans.

But another way to troubleshoot is to simplify your config, get rid of as many things that the bios would see at POST and see if it gets anywhere.

You didnt say if your overclocking or not. Are you? If you are then roll back to factory settings for now and see if that helps.

If you fallback to the old bios ( and I would recommend it) does everything work again? If so compare bios settings for everything in the new vs the old, perhaps there is something tweaked that shouldnt be.

Have you contacted the motherboard manufacturer for help yet? Some have email and online forums for support.

Did you change anything else when you did the bios upgrade? Tweaks? new ram? anything? If so try to go back to the old stuff and see where you sit.

Also, why did you do the bios upgrade? Did you need to do it or did you just want to be at the latest level? I never recommend doing a bios upgrade unless you need it to support new hardware or it is going to gain you something that you really need.

Let me know if any of this helps.

JD

The PS will gives enough power to support what I run ( i monitor its out put to the mb and devices vai a sw prog). The USB devices I have also go though a powered hub (minus keyboard and mouse the are dir connected).

As for over clocking I dont at this state of my os. My comp will run at 2.6ghz p4 with my cooling (merf bite you water cooled ass lol).

And I am going to setp back to the old bios and see if it is better. The reason i upgraded my bios was advanced agp cmos features as well as better ide speed.

DK
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im the one with water cooling

MErf is a fan boy.

"STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE" ~Blue Ruler
"Silver is Cheezylicious" ~MErf
Mr.Kason Allen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm heck i dunno whay did I reply except just call the company
(it never works the people answering the phone will just tell you to buy one of their new and better pc's or get yours refurbished for half the price of the new one.
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe wrote:

This goes with what I said earlier.

But I just wanted to point out that this goes in the "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT" category.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverOne wrote:
Im the one with water cooling

MErf is a fan boy.

Yeah sure just to get to 3.0 GHZ you bast.... You know where you can shove that cooling pipe Silver I think the only person with a slower cpu than me is Borg (maybe.) Well a 500 P3 was good...in 2000. My four year old cpu still pwns on The Ville.

tee hee hee

Fun and Frags anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: