FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Web Programming ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Web Programming ? Reply with quote

Okay, my misguided friend said something rather stupid the other day. He said that you don't need html to make a webpage. I know its true, in one area, there are other languages such as DHTML, Java Script etc that allow you to make webpages with out a stich of html but everything falls back on html, right? No matter what, even in a php forum it deals with html, right?

Anyone helping to clear this up would be appreciated.

[RS]Potato-VS-
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when using frontpage you can do a lot off things without using html code itself. but i noticed while making my homepage that a little knowledge off html comes in handy. you are going to bump into some trouble and then you will have to know something about HTML.

i know there are more qaulified people among us. Ask them. Cause i'm still a noob at html!!!!
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Frontpage or Dreamweaver or Geocities page builder or whatever just uses the interface to do what you want, in turn it creates the HTML needed for you so you dont have to know it. But as for all those other programs, I do believe they are used in conjunction with HTML, but I could be wrong
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THere's html in everything, there's no way around it. .. If your page has a title . ie..

<title>The Ville</title>

Then it's got html in it..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I tried to tell him that... He uses generators like http://mobynuke.net it does it all for him. To me this is cheating, what do you guys think?

[RS]Potato-VS-
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All webpages are HTML, it's just a matter of wether or not you use a silly program to do everything for you. Stuff like DHTML is differant in what it can do, but it is just an addon to basic html
bobins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we just happened to have a refresh lesson about computer programing languages in my computing lesson today.. and some fool said html.. my computing teacher said he didnt class this as a language.. and neither do i...

its just instructions to lay out a page.. but to include programing in a page then thats were java and stuff comes in... every web based language falls back onto html to be run.. and to be layed out ont he page... n thats that.. as far as iv'e been tought anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your are right Bobbins, html is not a programming language because it's not code it's just tags to display elements on a webpage. html cannot make decisions or flow with logic like programming languages do.
html is very easy to learn but requires time and experience to master, the best way to do this is to look at other peoples source on thier webpages.
Dahak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use php
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what you use... I do not think you can really call it *cheating.* Do you call it cheating that you can drive a car without having built it? Is it cheating if you cook a steak to eat without having raised the cow yourself?

Regardless of what you use, it is a good idea to have at the very least, a working knowledge of HTML.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
`RaphX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoaxie wrote:
No matter what you use... I do not think you can really call it *cheating.* Do you call it cheating that you can drive a car without having built it? Is it cheating if you cook a steak to eat without having raised the cow yourself?

It's cheating if you watch a television, without having bought it.

So - what does everyone use to help them learn html?
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned by viewing the sourse of Web pages. For those of you who don't know, you can view the source by going to *view* on your tool bar above. Go to *source* on the drop down menu. You will see a page appear that shows you the coding for the page you are viewing. Then I did an internet search for *HTML coding.* I found a very helpful and simplistic site that contained basic coding. I do not recall where that site was now because that was many years ago. I went on from there.

There are some great resources available online for free. All you have to do is search for them.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: