FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lil Bro's POS

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azrael

Location: Cuba, you got someting to say about dat mang!?!? Guild: TVB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Lil Bro's POS Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm here at home, and I decide that I had best install TFC and NS so I don't go insane while at my mom's place. That being said, I'm about to take my little brother's POS computer and toss it's happy ass out the window . I can load everything on it, and I can even get started on my way to happy fragging, then it all goes down the tubes. The proccesor on this thing is an old AMD (not even sure what type it is), it has some generic ass 3d card, onboard sound, and I couldn't even get it to take pc-133 RAM. When I start up NS, I get to the loading phase (Build Server #4 or whatever, the one that says you logging on to theville.ns.org.XXXXX), then it stops, it sounds like it's really trying, but that's as far as it gets. So my question is this: is there any type of system cleanup utility that will help me optimize my brother's POS so that it'll run TFC and/or NS? The only reason I"m asking for a program or software fix is cause I'd be the one paying for it, and I want to save as much cash for my comp at home as I can. Thanks for your help dudes, now I'm off to see the Two Towers!!!
Fresh Tofu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

This PC probably uses PC-66 memory if it is that old. PC 100 will clock down for the most part (ask when you buy it). Other than that I reccomend tweaking the bejesus out of the OS (which you did not tell us btw). There are plenty of web sites that will tell you what extra services to turn off and registry tweaks to get all that you can out of thatr box!

Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeha, a little more info would make it easier to help you troubleshoot. No matter which OS you're running if you have a bunch of icons in your system tray on the lower right corner of your screen those are all using up memory that could be used for more important things (like TFC!)

Check your startup folders and clean them out. If they are not loading from there check your registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

WARNING If you don't know what it is do not delete it.

That should get you started.

MErf
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my recomendation... a baseball bat
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try TFC on it dont even think NS. NS is much much more CPU and GPU intensive (aka would not work on tha tmachine)

DK
Azrael

Location: Cuba, you got someting to say about dat mang!?!? Guild: TVB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I forgot to put the OS and stuff on, my bad. It's on Win 98 (not sure if it's 2nd edition or not). It has 64 Mb of RAM, I think, I have to make sure, and that's what tomorrow is for. We went and emptied out the startup folder, and there was a bunch of crap in it, from Kazaa to danged AIM, and so on. we also turned off the firewall, but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. Lo and behold, TFC starts. NS does too, but it's too choppy to be much fun. I got my kid brother playing, so if you see a guy going by he nic Az's Lil Bro, that's him. Try and help him out, he's learning, never played TFC before. If he does anything llama-ish, just tell him that you'll tell me and I'll give him a sound thrashing while I'm here.
Fresh Tofu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's had Kazza installed then you may want to download and run a program called "AdAware". It's free and it will remove the programs that are installed and run with or withour your permission by Kazza. Removing them will free up some bandwith and processes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: