FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Detecting proxy settings

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Detecting proxy settings Reply with quote

Alright, ever since I reformatted my computer I've been getting this problem. Every 5-10 minutes I seem to lose the ability to browse the internet and at the bottom of the screen internet explorer says "detecting proxy settings." It says this for about 2-5 minutes before I can browse the internet again. Although I can't browse the net, I can still play internet games and connect to msn and the other computers connected to the internet through my router still have internet capabilities. So this rules out problems with my modem, and means that internet explorer must be evil.

Anyone know what I can do?
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Tools -> Internet options, Connections tab, click LAN Settings. For most ISP connections you should not have any of the options checked, unless your ISP requires that "use proxy server" be selected. "Automatically detect settings" sounds like it's selected when it doesn't need to be in your case. This may also indicate a connection problem - your browser tries to go to the Internet and can't reach it, then tries to scan for proxies to use.
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAH you beat me to it, that was my suggestion as well
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR here
Also check the Client lease time setting in your routers DHCP settings

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goldom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange, my comp just started doing that randomly the other day. thanks for fixing it for me!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: