FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
M/B<->Vid Compatibility

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OpTlk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: M/B<->Vid Compatibility Reply with quote

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of a site online that shows the compatibility of vid cards to certain boards...I dont know much when it comes to hardware, but I do know what board I have and was hoping to find somewhere that would tell me if it could support my new vid card.

Hey, if this info is already on my computer and I just dont know where to look, I would greatly appreciate any help that can be given. Im just trying to avoid the hastle of unplugging, opening, and changing what I've got just to find its not gonna work...

anyways, thanks

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my guess would be that your best bet is to go to the website of the motherboard manufacturer and go to support and check the FAQ's or support site, if there is compatibility issues its more than likely noted there. The only thing that wouldnt make it work is if you were trying to install an 8x AGP card on a board that only supports 2x or 4x, but from what I understand it would just slow the card down to run at the boards max speed anyways. If you have the specs of the card and board I can try to see what I can find if you like.
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, such a sight does exist. However, I don't know the addy.

But I am sure someone here does.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assassin - shortly after posting i made my way over to the board manufacturer, but I didnt really know what I was looking for as far as compatibility issues...

Here are the specs for both

Vid card - RADEON 9000 PRO 128MB AGP

Board - Intel D815EEA2

Question...If I install the card and the board isnt compatible, will it let me know aftewards or will it just try ro function normal and end up burning one or both of them out?

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Twisted29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went out and got a new vid card too!

Since I have a factory-built computer, I just went to the manufacturer's website, and they told me what would be compatable. (In my case Gateway) If you built your own machine, then I'd try to get ahold of the motherboard maker.

If you plug it in and it isn't compatible, you won't get any signal out of your card (and your monitor will be black). Chances are you have a small vid driver on your motherboard, which should have its own monitor-out port on the back of your machine. If you use that, you may get signal, enough to uninstall your uncompatible card at least.

Good luck!

I'm really quite Non-Twisted... (but don't tell anybody!)

Long live the Ville!!!!
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is what I found about your boards AGP specs

Using Add-in AGP Graphics Card:
(Either Intel Desktop Board D815EEA2 & D815EPEA2)

The Intel® Desktop Board D815EEA2 accepts universal AGP cards that comply with the AGP 2.0 specification. The Intel Desktop Board D815EEA2 can accept 1X and 2X AGP cards operating at 3.3 volts and 1X, 2X, and 4X AGP cards operating at 1.5 volts.

the card itself

System Requirements
Intel® Pentium® 4/III/II/Celeron™, AMD® K6/Duron™/Athlon®/Athlon XP® or compatible with AGP 2X (3.3v), 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (2X/4X/8X).
64MB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive

Based on what I see the card should work but it will only be running at a max of 4x instead of 8x so you probably wont get maximum output with the card but still should be better then what you have. I dont know for sure as I couldnt find anywhere that said if it had any issues with each other, so I really dont know for sure if it should work but according to the specs it should be ok. here are the links if you want to follow up more

Board: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D815EEA2/

Card: http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9000pro/index.html

Hope that helps, maybe someone better at this sort of thing can also dig through the specs and give their 2 cents.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: