FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Soldiers Spy Checking!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Soldiers Spy Checking! Reply with quote

By all means, do not stop spy checking! However. . . .

I've been playing a lot of spy lately to see how the other half lives. I have noticed one constant thing that harms me more than my opponents. My own soldiers spy checking me with rockets. It sends me flying into the air doomed to brake my ankles upon landing. If I am away from a pack, then I am left with half my health. This really sucks especially when the opposing team doesn't even have spies. It is very easy to switch to the shotty to do a spy check. Especially when you are not involved in a fight. I know shooting your own spy doesn't hurt you so you are more likely to use the rockets, but it is hurting your spy.

With full health I have a 50/50 chance of taking out a HW head on. With half my life, it's 90/10 at best. Just an example.

Just try to practice switching to shotty to spy check when you are able to. Your spies will appreciate it.

Thx!
=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes too long, doesn't do enough damage. Only good at extreme distances (rocket still better)
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRG we do for all the other spys

Whats really bad is when your still not sure and being a little paranoid, (thanks to FragFailure) you throw 3 rockets. Nothing says "I'm a spy you Idiot" faster.
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play solly all the time and I can switch back and forth from rockets to shotty pretty fast. Faster than it takes me to fire two rockets. Maybe I am just L337 that way. I have no probs taking out spies with my shotty! I actually prefer it! Cuz they are pretty easy to take out with the shotty I can surpass ole Snags shotty record! muhahahaha

Actually, it's really about just helping your team mates. That's why I said it.
=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to make it habitual to use my SSG. I know how it feels to be thrown fifty feet in the air, n00bs do it to me all the time. And not to mention albino for his 1337 spam

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-
SoDum

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i remembered to bind my shotty to last inv that life, then i swap. If not, you are taking a rocket. Sometimes you'll take three, though that's just cause the rocket blast sometimes covers up the blood splatter and i need to be sure. Or feel like sending you flying, but, that's rare.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even easier then switching to the shotty, learn to aim better!

I almost always send a rocket when I get a suspicion that there's a spy. But instead of blowing him into the air, I try and fire behind them. This way, they can retreat faster if they are on my team and they won't get hurt from any fall damage, or they will get hurt and a little disorianted if they are an enemy. The easiest thing to do though, is to just learn how to spy check. Unless they are the 1337est spy ever, they always do something to throw their act. Trying to get behind someone, running (don't have to be aiming) particulary for an sg, carrying a default weapon (Engi's!), or the funniest one ever, throwing a gas nade before any one has a suspicion of them being a spy. Another thing that you should look for, is if they are screaming for a medic. This just gives them a reason to be running away from battle towards the D. And it's very annoying when you're pumping him full of rockets, he's bleeding, and your team is just staring at you, waiting for mirror damage to take effect. Then, when the spy dies, they all jump on to his dead body

Umm...sooo.....yeah....just try not to launch someone if you're not 100% sure that they're a spy

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Computer

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought on this is this....

If it is an enemy spy I want to get him into the air as soon as possible, and once he's in the air, well he's dead. However I don't spy check if they are running away from the cap or if they are carrying the non-spawn weapon.

IMHO if you are a spy playing defense, hanging around by the cap point is a sure way to get blasted. Better me shooting and hittng our own spy a couple times than letting an NME run by.
rAT bOY

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always toss a rocket to anyone who comes running back to our base. I don't care even if they're on our team, they shouldn't be running back anyway! If I see my name, I shoot it. If it's a class our team doesn't have, I shoot it. I especially like making spies fly at cp3. That screws up plan to destroy SGs and gives me a bouncy toy to play with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I center my player names...and as a medic I can sometimes see the actual name of the spy, and not the disguised one.
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, that's one of my petpeeves. Many times as an engie I'm making trips to my SG, and since I have no shotgun shells (all fired into NMEs or put into a nearly empty SG) I'll have the railgun out if NMEs are around. (at least I can make some nice green flashes before respawning) Nothing makes your day more than getting shot half a map away from your weak SG and having no useful ammo to defend yourself with.

Please, use the shotty. I know rockets kill faster, but they also annoy the heck out of your teammate who just got sent flying somewhere he didn't want to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its so easy for us spy checkers to switch to the shotty to spy check, why not you as the engie running around with the rail gun switch to the shotty and when you need to fight switch to the rail gun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, you can shoot behind them to launch them forwards instead of backwards, it disorientates the spy and hangs him in the air a little so you can shoot again before he lands, but it doesn't do fall damage.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
QuasiModo

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any engie with a railgun not firing gets a rocket or primary weapon from another class...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: