FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Spilling forth my bowels of knowledge! Frag's Spy Tips and
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FragFailure

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since JD is a bit slow in spilling forth his bowels of knowledge and still busy waiting for his Intel 4 processor from Frag (hint: not coming)...I am going to fill the void here.

As a spy I get asked a lot on how do I do what I do? Here's what I do as a spy on offense in this order...

1-Take out SG's (engy FIRST if he is guarding it)
2-Take out snipers
3-Freelance and catch others offguard

Grenades- Always have grenades on you. If you run out, go back for more! It stops an engy from building and a sniper from feeling secure. Learn how to prime a grenade. It's very important for timing and accuracy. You prime a grenade by holding down you primary grenade button. Don't let it go as the timer will start. When you are ready to throw it...let it go. Don't hold onto it for too long or you will blow YOURSELF up...bad, very bad.

DO NOT

1.stop and look up at an sg...dead giveaway
2.run as a slower class at full speed...bad, very bad
3.run directly into the path of a good sniper, soldier, or hw. That's a death wish. Be smart about your path and how you plan on getting back to your side alive.
4.the obvious route to where you want to go is probably the one that won't work. Warpath is difficult for this one.
5.do try to avoid knife fight and losing your disguise. Dueling won't get you anywhere on offense. I try to lure the spy back to where the numbers benefit me and then fight him. Most spies will chase you and not think.

Disguising- Pick the class the other team is intensive in. If they have 4 engys, be one. It causes confusion. Snipers usually don't work because there is a 2 team max. Most snipers know on their team where the other snip is. I prefer soldier, demo, medic, engy, and sometimes pyro. HW is a tough sell because you really need to run about half speed and act like you are going after your team.

Defense strategy

1-piss off the other team without spawn camping. Takes practice to know the limits without getting a ban from an admin. Pay attetion to the enemy aggesiveness and who is or is not attacking. A good spy can demoralize a team attacking and put them on their heels. The best feeling is when 3-5 enemies chase you all over and don't get you. In fact, one or two of them probably are so mad that they run into a sniper or sg.

2-When a the enemy is close to capping and a spy is their offensive force. Stay back and let him run right into you. The best example is the doorway of the church. Just feign there and a spy is caught red handed into the love of 3 sg's blowing them to bits.

That's all the spy tips, now a few quick soldier tips I learned on avanti and capping.

Cmmd Pt. 1 - run to the outside of the building with cmmd 1 and rocket jump up into it. If done right you'll bounce your head on the ceiling inside the bldg and cap.

Cmmd Pt. 2 - The very popular double rovket jump from right outside you spawn works well. Only an sg or a great shot from a sniper stops this cap.

Cmmd Pt. 3 - This one isn't used much. Most of the time it takes to left turns to cap 3. As soldier run towards three. Right before you make the FIRST left you see the cap to your left. Do a rocketjump and duck at the same time. You'll hit your head on the canopy and cap. You can also get out fast before the sg's kill you.

The church - This one is hard unless the other team has a box of rocks for brain cells (or play on orbital frame all day.) You can jump from either side of the church, but I turn backwards in the church and jump backwards over the pews. That will cap it or leave scraps for someone else. I prefer to get a demo and make it easier for your team.

That's my soldier tips on Avanti

-The Orbital Frame refernce is in part to the respawn camping and a server where scouts seem to cap all the time. Why's that? Rocks for brains and no sg's. Hell where else can Frag gets 238 kills on Avanti?

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks frag I need all the tips I can get on being a spy. I'm trying this classs out now without big succes so far. but I'm going to get it yet.

JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Brothuh Frag! Beautifully put and excellent pointers. I commend your honor and education good sir!*bows deeply* Truly worthy of your rank and all awards bestowed upon your person.

*sits back and has another sip of mead, enjoying the weekend as it just begins*

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twisted29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice Frag, but you made me wonder, whats your advice for a map like Avanti where you CAN'T go back for more grens. Obviously they are the preferred weapon because they dont take away your disguise. It makes it tougher when you run out, but can still accomplish all of the goals you mentioned and in the right order.

Its important that a beginner spy doesn't get too knife-happy. Yeah, its probably the most powerful weapon in the game, but it should only be pulled out in certain occassions. Most of the time I use nail-gun to hit sgs (after using my disguise to find a nice little hole to shoot from) and my shotgun to take out enemy snipers.

Armored enemies like the HW, demo, and soldier really do need a good knifing. With enough practice you can get the feel for beating those classes turn radius just enough to get a quick shot to their back, then get out of there before reinforcements arrive.

But anyway, I just wanted to post two tips that I found useful when I was starting to learn spy.
- Always be aware of your location and where the nearest sentry is. Even if you can take it down its important not to lose a disguise while in ones line of sight. Remember, if there are 3 engies on a team, there can only be 3 sgs. Work around those zones if you have no grens
-Dont feel bad about running away. If you miss your shot to the back, or feel outnumbered...run! Usually they'll run after you, and into the rest of your team. I friendly sg is helpful as a kind of retreat point to re-dusguise and heal.

Oh well, thats all the wisdom I have. I don't even know if i'm qualified to give it, i've seen a lot of quality spies here. Good luck everyone!!!
cstone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My spy tips:

Don't be afraid to quickly sneak into the enemy respawn to restock your health and grenades. It should go w/ out saying that you don't need to kill anyone on this trip (ie no respawn camping). This is best done when attacking CP3.

And if you still need to take out another SG, just run to the sniper position behind the sandbags. Knife the sniper and proceed to shoot SGs w/ your nail gun.
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite tactics as a spy if I'm running out of grenades and I come across an sg:
1) If I happen to have a grenade left and it's a level 3 sg, I can't take it out with that sg so I grenade it then attempt to nail it to death, 9 times out of ten it works.
2)If all else fails and you're on your own vs an sg with no grenades - knife it! They're surprisingly slow at turning so if you keep circling you may get it - or if not, it's so weak as makes no odds

ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Greebo actions like that would get you the metal of honor in "real" combat. Semper Fi
Twisted29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greebo, knifing a sentry definately is brave. But 99% of the time it will get you killed too. The problem I have with it is when the sg finally blows up...it takes me with it. Not quite as tactful of ending as I would like. I've trying jumping away at the end and finish with my shotty, but then it can turn quicker then you and you die. Do you know how to beat the sg with your knife and not die. I would be sincerely interested!
SuperZero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that close range, you're dead no matter what...but it's worth it to nail a lvl 3. God knows I've made plenty of suicide sg runs. It ain't so bad, people At least you'll accomplish the main objective (knock out the defenses). If you ask me, one death is a small price to pay to kill one, sometimes 2 sgs...and often the engies trying to save them. Spies are the best at it, but like Greebo said, sometimes they just can't finish the job. Demos, Soldiers, and HWs should have no problems picking up where the spy left off. Which (finally) leads me to my only real addition to the spy thread here: inform your team of what you've taken out and what you've merely weakened. As a spy you'll have the best info on the enemy's defenses...give your team a quick rundown so they can target sgs and snipers more accurately and eliminate them. It'll make everyone's job easier

Wish I could add more actual spy tips here, but I'm not a very good spy...I just like running around w/ a knife

Bakuryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some spy tips as well. For the sweet love of God don't run backwards, it puts a bullseye on you. LEARN TO USE THE WALK BUTTON! It really helps when you're disguised as a hw or soldier to move slower than normally. Another really great tip you never see anyone doing is playing buddy buddy with the other team to drop suspicion. You can look at a sentry and throw a pack to it. It's one of my fav things to do. Then when they move to pick it up, grenade the sg and gas everywhere a sentry could be placed and haul ass out before someone notices you. It works really well against a lot of players (especially really good ones, it's hillarious to watch them ~sorry omega but i've done it to your sentries more times than i can count~) Also, there is a way to kill a sg if you get uncovered and you're close to it. If you smother the barrels of the gun IT CANNOT FIRE AT ALL! It's a kamikaze, but hey thats life. Usually i use the nailgun or the knife to take them out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about the soldier tips lol. NEVER rocket jump with health under 50% unless you are getting away and getting health or if you are jumping onto a pack. Also, engies love to place sentries to the left and right of cp3 on avanti. The nail grenade is INSANELY good at wiping out sentries and engies. Hug a wall and let off nail grenades and all but two normal grenades in both directions and watch the death. Mirvs are good for this, but usually it is hard to get a mirv to a sentry. Also a general tip for all classes that I see nobody doing. BOUNCE YOUR GRENADES OFF WALLS! It works very well and can take out that pesky dispenser or sentry around the corner without you ever getting hit!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Har8inger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tips, I particularly like the one about tossing the pack. Another one I use is to run towards their base screaming for a medic. They think you are returning because you're wounded Doesn't work when they have a medic, trust me, not cool when you walk into their base with little red cross above your head and some overly helpful medic comes up to "heal" you. shit. I've also tried knifing an sg. Doesn't work well. Spy attacks on offense almost always work better when attacking from the side or behind. EXample: cp3 on avanti walking straight up the center will get you sniped, gren, rocket, or all of the above. Go to the right and then swing back left. People don't look for spies there as much.

Ghanja420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frag good pointers for the noobs man i swear i do all the same stuff lol

As Spy i love knifing people in the back on Defense and taking out SG's on offense

A good thing about spy is u can fake death well when u lying on the groud dead/alive dont get up as soon as u see 1 person go past wait for a bit cause theres a good chance of someoen else coming around that corner and if u wait u could have 1+ kills instead

When i take out sgs never just stand there and throw ur nades allways be moving and try too throw ur nades like right before u go past a corner or soemthing works very well

ALso never try too take a HWGay out without hitting thme with a DArt 99% of the time with a good HWGAy they will kill u if u dont

YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling One SpyRadar, like new, good condition, fits most standard Assault Cannons. Dont HW without one.

Yeah pretty good tips, that pack thingy almost happened to me as an Engineer, I almost went for it and said, "wait a second, my team never gives me packs to build my guns" I ended up shotgunning him good and dead. But 90% of the time it works, and also the universal hello dating back to Doom, staring at the other person standing still and jumping once. Although there are just some overly paranoid players who will not trust you any way you try to trick em.

Also I can testify on behalf of Ganja as most of you know I play HW Guy <---- If some spy is coming at me he doesn't stand a chance...It'd really suck if he darted me, but I can't remember a single time I was darted, usually they just stab me when I'm not lookin, like while firing at a group of their teammates.

ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips. I've been getting used to the spy class and enjoy it alot. Your advice has proven sound again and again. I still get killed to much mostly from gernades and HW's. It takes 11 stabs from the front to kill hw so never try this.I always seem to fall into this situation:( I've practiced with KillerRoof on knifing S.G.'s and have got pretty good at and it's fun but the trouble in game is most of the time they are on a ledge where you can't run around them. Throwing a pack to an engineer first followed with gernades ia the greatest thing to do and works most of the time.( not against you old salts} When on defense I try to run into everyone and its surprising how many spys I uncover and then the sg's take over and they're gone. I will be sure to save a tranq for you YourPowersAreWeakOldMan, would'nt want you to think we we're leaving you out on of any of the fun:) Thanks for the tips I'll be sure to try to use them against you.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: