FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sully's tip of the week for 2/25/2002

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFC is more than being able to shoot or stab or burn or build or whatever. Using your head can take you as far as reflexes, maybe farther. I'll give you an example...
When I'm playing defensive soldier and I know that there is an sg around a corner, I will blow the oncoming team into the path of the sg instead of just killing them. This avoids a long drawn out battle and doesn't allow the other team to calmly try to take out the gun. I'm sure that the savvy players around here have a thousand little tricks like this.
Also, your location in regard to your teamates is very important. I recently was playing solly on Avanti, defending 3 and doing spy checks. I found one at the same time as the engie there found him. I went to kill him but the engie kept getting in my way and attacking him with the wrench! Result: I was at 20 health, engie was on top of the awning, spy killed sg and a fatty capped!! This is not team play at it's peak.
The 'Ville plays with mirror damage. It's not only considerate to stay out of the way of your teamates firing lanes, it's smart too. That HWGuy can't play defense if you've caused him 50 health loss by not paying attention to where you were running. It's selfish and dumb to just run over to the enemy and attack, knowing that if you get shot by your own team, they suffer the penalty, not you. It never hurts to think about the reprocussions of what you do.

So, my tip is this; keep your wits about you and think about the impact of what you do in game. It's really not just about who can shoot the straightest.

- John Cleese
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and remember, there are no such things as spies! if it's the same color as you, don't waste your ammo on it.. TRUST ME!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when a Sniper goes running after a spy when I am trying to kill him. Ah.. if sense is so common, why don't more people have it?
Blown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better is when you chase a spy half way across the map and your team just watches you do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh that annoys me to no end. Especially when i'm playing a medic so i can easily keep up but the spy will kill me 9 times out of ten, cause i suck. I swear, if i'm shooting it, and it bleeds, shoot it! >.<

This is why I've been playing scout recently. To spy check and deal with those Detpacks. (I swear, pretty soon i'm going to get demos to hate me. )

The ladies man,
JollyRoger.
Dahak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of knowing where your teammates are also helps playing defense. Say there is a friendly sg in the pipe on well, and you see in the upper right corner that it is killed. You know that someone is coming through the pipe, so i throw a nail gren down there and spam the exit with rockets. The same goes for the attic or the front entrance. It's easier if you have defense players that stay at their position.
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sully is talking about with shooting enemy's into a SG is perhaps one of my favorite things to do. that is one of the big advantages with soldier you can decide where you want to take the fight or if you even want to fight. like on the bridge in badlands or 2fort or wherever, i will just shoot people off of it rather than try to fight them. the game becomes much easier when you use your head and choose your fights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tips sully, but the best thing I've seen with a spy, was a big green line come out (aka airstrike) on epicenter, and only one person realised I was a spy He of course killed me then yelled at his team.
thewz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip: Don't be a killwhore. I hate it when people bitch and complain because you "steal their kill." It is one of my tactics to let my teammates steal my kills. A lot of people have called me cowards because I was retreating while firing at them, but in truth I was bringing them closer to an sg, or a pack of teammates who could help me take the nmes out very easily.
Firehellkite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Sivvi I always gotta do that... I mean, they threw 2 grens and a pill at an sg, called an airstrike, avoided all the mgs, and are a class that my team has none of, and still 9 out of 10 times I am the only one shooting at them
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-26 16:43, the_avenger wrote:
Here's a tip: Don't be a killwhore. I hate it when people bitch and complain because you "steal their kill." It is one of my tactics to let my teammates steal my kills. A lot of people have called me cowards because I was retreating while firing at them, but in truth I was bringing them closer to an sg, or a pack of teammates who could help me take the nmes out very easily.

I lure people to sgs some times myself, but I don't complain when people "steal my kills" I have terrbile luck with kills. If I'm an hwg shooting at someone and so is an sg, then the sg will get a kill. If I'm an engy in the same situation, I don't get the kill, go figure. Boggles my mind, but oh well.
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I complain about someone stealing my kill is if I'm standing ON a spy beating him with my crowbar, wrench or medkit and someone walks up and shoots him WHY ?? It's not like he was going anywhere. If I'm on him, he isn't getting up.
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, whenever I am a Pyro, I go into assist mode. I am happy just running about wreaking havoc on people, just by flaming them. Your team has a much better chance of taking someone out who has been caught on fire than someone who hasn't . Same goes for medic. I just run around infecting, if I hear that satisfying grunt of pain, I know I have done my job. If I get the kill, hooray, if not, I know that one of my teammates finished the job.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: