FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I hate Microsoft

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: I hate Microsoft Reply with quote

So my computer is crashing randomly. No error, just reboots. All hardware checks out. I am A+ certified, so I am not here to ask for ideas what is wrong, I think it is the last windows update to be honest. So I send in a error report to get some information. and what does Microsoft tell me

[quote=Microsoft]
Problem description

A Microsoft analyst has reviewed this error report and determined the problem you encountered will be resolved in a Windows Vista release, which will be available in the future.[/quote]

And that there is no action I can take to fix this on my own. I am running XP Pro. granted I only paid $20 for it (Education Discount through UA), but now instead of telling me what is wrong and how to fix they are simply saing wait for Vista.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
regis
Guild Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't had that specific problem yet (crosses fingers.) but i share my hate for the company!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that sucks. Is there a way to rollback Windows updates? aside from a fresh install that is.I have Windows XP Pro also, hopefully I wont have any problems: (

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem and troubleshot it to the motherboard, however, that was not the problem. It was something with the installation, or the updates. I was not able to roll it back, so I just reinstalled.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mUj0 wrote:
Man, that sucks. Is there a way to rollback Windows updates? aside from a fresh install that is.I have Windows XP Pro also, hopefully I wont have any problems: (

Yep...
Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
Check "Show Updates"
Remove the one that's annoying....!

"Oh Smeg! What the smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me!" Lister, Red Dwarf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrontiumDog wrote:
mUj0 wrote:

Yep...
Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
Check "Show Updates"
Remove the one that's annoying....!

Some updates can't be removed.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StrontiumDog
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True!

George - is there even a dump file being created?

"Oh Smeg! What the smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me!" Lister, Red Dwarf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
llama_beans
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can.

Put cd in go through steps of doing install. There is an option for repair install. This will put your windows patches back to what it was at cd install. Then repatch windows patches minus the problem one.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: