FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Comp Freezes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Comp Freezes Reply with quote

I built my machine last year, and a few weeks ago the machine started to lock up periodically. Now it happens anywhere from five minutes to 20 minutes before it freezes, but it always does. I thought at first it might be some spyware or virus, but I have cleaned it and cannot find anything that would do that.

I now think it is hardware realted. I have taken some memory out, but I need to complete switch it to test. What I really think might be the case is the CPU, or motherboard.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I look into replacing some of this expensisve stuff?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try checking if your mobo isn't hitting anything and its secured properly, but i doubt it would have only started now if that was the problem.
Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure the heat sink and fins are clean on the cpu!!! they get dirty quick and need to be blown out with compressed air often.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it just freeze or does it power off?
squidly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobra wrote:

If it is the last case, it is the PSU without any doubt!!!! Change it fast before it fried all the comp parts (MB, CPU, vidcard, CD/DVD...)!!! It happened to me a year ago!!
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happened to me 4 years ago. i however just left it like that and everything got fried. well not everything, the hard drive was still ok.
squidly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do u overclock your vidcard!!!

Check your setting, my comp is freezing too when I'm trying to push a little bit too far the overcloking of my vidcard!!! Anxious
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobra wrote:

Freezes and stays on. Sometime the mouse still moves on the screen and sometimes it stops too.

Nothing is overclocked.

It is an Intel Board and and Intel 3.2 chip.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, hammer!!!!

Thats the best tool to fix ANY problem!!!
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing you build the comp last year i'm guessing you are running XP.

strange.... i never had one of my xp systems freeze up on me.

installed anything just before it started happening?
is there one thing that makes it happen? or does it just freeze whenever it feels like it?

if it's hardware related your best bet would indeed be the cpu or the mobo and even the graphics card. )although i doubt it. can you still play games without it locking up directly?)

Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidly wrote:
Ahhhh, hammer!!!!

Thats the best tool to fix ANY problem!!!

I've already done enough percussive maintenance. I think about kicking it everytime it locks up.

XP Pro
Nothing loaded except for some of these spyware progams telling me I am infected, which I had fixed and was not experiening the problem. I even tried to restore back to a good configuration... but no luck. I cant really see it being software, but I guess I can re-install XP to see what happens.

Last edited by Hamese on Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeCies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamese, I would look at your CPU Temperature, Third party Apps, anything that has changed it's performance prior to it locking-up
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Species !!!! Wow, you last posted in July of 2004, its great to see you back and visiting !

Hamese, I agree with Species too, grab something like motherboard monitor and check your CPU temps to see if its a thermal issue.

Otherwise, I would suspect the OS first, look for spyware or viruses, make sure you have all windows patches installed and the latest updates for your spyware and antivirus software too.

It that doesnt get you anywhere a fresh install may be your next best test. If after you install XP from scratch and then promptly patch the OS with all the latest patches the problem continues (If its hardware the problem should continue while your trying to install the OS too) then I would start playing with the easy hardware.

See if you can swap out and test the ram, CPU, video card and so on to see if your problem goes away. Also, theres a chance it could be your power supply so if you swap that with another its a good thing to try too.

JD
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe wrote:

Hamese, I agree with Species too, grab something like motherboard monitor and check your CPU temps to see if its a thermal issue.

Some MB can monitor CPU temp at bios level, try booting to bios and take a look-see.

John Doe wrote:
Otherwise, I would suspect the OS first, look for spyware or viruses, make sure you have all windows patches installed and the latest updates for your spyware and antivirus software too.

You can also try booting up in safe mode to stop misc software from loading up with XP and leave it run for a while. That will help to see if any additional drivers or memory resident programs are causing a problem.

John Doe wrote:
It that doesnt get you anywhere a fresh install may be your next best test. If after you install XP from scratch and then promptly patch the OS with all the latest patches the problem continues (If its hardware the problem should continue while your trying to install the OS too) then I would start playing with the easy hardware.

Also, if you have an old, spare HD, try a fresh install of XP on it. Boot from it and let it run for a while. Recently installed drivers, software and patches can really cause havoc!

John Doe wrote:
See if you can swap out and test the ram, CPU, video card and so on to see if your problem goes away. Also, theres a chance it could be your power supply so if you swap that with another its a good thing to try too.

If you have more than one stick of memory, try running on one at a time.

Sarge
and WalMart Security

"Get-r-Done"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: