FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Yet another...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crackhead_fred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Yet another... Reply with quote

Thread about video cards. I am actually posting this for a friend and neither of us know squat about vc's so bare with us. He was looking at buying a new video card with a $200 max limit. Couple of his computer specs that I know right now are: P4 2.4Ghz and 512MB RAM (think he was going to buy more today). I believe his memory type is DDR. He wants a decent card that would be able to run HL2 and the Source engine without any problems. I'll try to figure out more info soon. Any comments, questions or suggestions? Thanks for the help!
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By what you have said it most likely will have to be a AGP card.

1. He needs to up his ram to atleast a gig if not a 1 1/2 gigs. I know between Windows XP and DoD source I was watching how much memory it was using and it was as much as 700 megs at times. That does not leave much headroom on 1 GIG and if he only has 512 well you get the picture well under powered.

As for the video card there are a couple AGP cards out there the will run source, but to get one to run it with ease it might cost a few more $$$. I know you can get the ATI 9600XT, 9800 Pro for around $200.00 which will run it. Not sure on the Nividia cards that are under $200.00 that will run it, but I will do some checking. .
Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say we need a gig to 1.5 gig of ram, are you counting the ram on the video card ? I am running an AMD 2600+ (2.1ghz) with 768 Mg of 333Mhz ddr on the motherboard, and a gainward 880 pro (Gforce5700) with 256Mg of 500Mhz ddr on the video card. I do not have the hdr enabled, but can set everything elese on high with little to no problems. Do I need to ask Santa Claus for more ram ? I would also like to ask about Nvidia drivers for a friend who games with us (Riggormortis). He just bought a 6600Gt and read something about a beta driver for that card that helped run DODS. Thx

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricen wrote:
When you say we need a gig to 1.5 gig of ram, are you counting the ram on the video card ? I am running an AMD 2600+ (2.1ghz) with 768 Mg of 333Mhz ddr on the motherboard, and a gainward 880 pro (Gforce5700) with 256Mg of 500Mhz ddr on the video card. I do not have the hdr enabled, but can set everything elese on high with little to no problems. Do I need to ask Santa Claus for more ram ? I would also like to ask about Nvidia drivers for a friend who games with us (Riggormortis). He just bought a 6600Gt and read something about a beta driver for that card that helped run DODS. Thx

Yeah if you are running Windows XP it takes basically 256 megs to run so that takes a big bite of of your ram. DoD source seems to have alot of memory leakage in it which is causing it to use a abundance of ram. Thats not including the ram that your VC is using to run the graphics. I'm sure they will be pluggin some of the memory holes up with some updates, but as of right now it is taxing your system.
Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it seems we have found yet another reason for the fine folks at New Egg to luv me Dancing ( at this rate my wife may decide it would be cheaper for me to start hanging out in the bars again) lol

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: