FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Credit Card dealio
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat Source
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^I couldnt agree more ^^^^
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A POX!!! ON ALL OF VALVES HOUSES!!! #Cussing out

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gindapoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simply, Valve is operating as a for profit business. They saw how popular HL and the mods that spawned from that were. So, when they created HL2, they kept the proprietary mod rights so that they could make money on the mods as well (and they bought the rights to the earlier mods to boot-a very astute business move).

Would they have allowed "free" mods on their new HL2/Source engine? Personally, I don't believe they would have--especially if they have any decent business insight. Look at how many people played TFC, CS or DoD mods under the old HL engine--hit them for $20 each game and you are talking many millions of dollars.

I have said this before and I still believe it: Steam, from the very beginning, has had all the trade-marks of a "Pay-to-Play" system. Why do I see this? I have had several former students who are now working in the software industry that have told me that Steam is almost custom designed to work as Pay-to-Play. The charge for DoD:S just reinforces this notion in my opinion.

Online gaming may not be the only online activity that goes to pay-to-play type use. Think about sending an email or IM and having to pay for it. (Many of us already to this with phone "text messaging".) How many things on the web that used to be free are no longer so? Do you really think that the persons in power will leave such a lucrative technology well enough alone?

Yes, Valve may release some "free" mods. But the days of many free mods to choose from may well be past. In fact the days of free and easy access to a lot of things on the Internet may be passing quietly into history.

We all must set our own boundaries when it comes to what we are willing to pay for in our entertainment. For me, I will not pay for a mod such as DoD:S although if someone purchased it as a gift to me I would probably load it on my computer--I will not personally spend the money, although I have no right to deny someone else their right to spend their money. (And yes DoD:S is a mod, not a totally redesigned game--Valve used the HL2/Source engine and "updated" DoD to work in and with the newer technology. If it were really a new game we would still be waiting for its release--remember how long we waited for HL2...) I also will not Pay-to-Play if Steam does get to that place...

I have ranted lengthily and if you read this far I, thank you. Please understand that this is my reasoned opinion. That does not mean I am correct, nor does it mean anyone else’s opinion is correct. The best that any of us can do is use the gray matter in our scull to think all things through as logically and as intelligently as possible. The conclusions we then draw are individually correct for each of us.

where the name came from<---clicky
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve has always stated that they intend to charge to play. no mystery there.

haha Gingapoo that is a cool way to ask for someont to gift you the game!

The only thing that will change is that the decision to play any particular game will be monatary instead of quality as is the case when you could try it first. How many mods sucked and went nowhere??? It would of been painful to have to buy them outright for a few minutes play.

It is like the ragdoll game thery are pushing now. I dont know anything about it and dont want to spend money on "testing" the game.
Schar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think they will make TFC:Source to complete the best three mods (personally speaking that is) that would be neat. but back on topic i will refuse to pay per month for steam to be able to keep playing, i could only see myself doing that if they created some kind of Massive online multiplayer game like WOW or Planetside.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that I may have to pay about $300 to $400 to replace my television, I offer no sympathies.

And maybe now people will be more inclined to play other mods. The ones not owned by Valve.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schar wrote:
Do you think they will make TFC:Source to complete the best three mods (personally speaking that is) that would be neat.

no, they're focued on making money with a tf2 that is probably nothing like tfc. fortress forever will probably turn out better then a TFC:S because they listen to the community more and know every flaw and gameplay issue in TFC.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still play all the games you got for free. That doesn't mean that you are entitled to a new and improved version of the same game several years later for free. People can still make third-party mods and release those for free, but they wouldn't have the same motives. Valve didn't have to make DoD:S, and if they didn't, you would probably still be playing DoD 1.3, so I don't think people should be complaining.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat Source All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: