FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Credit Card dealio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat Source
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Credit Card dealio Reply with quote

Anyone else here get burned by the whole credit card decline dealio? or am i the only one
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there are lots. if you go to the Steam fourms there are a few threads about this.

This is what Taylor Sherman of Valve suggests you do.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6ff46613aae01bbbd89798961fdcea89&threadid=168652

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
Schar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh ya i heard all the horor stories on the steam forums about it, I just wanted to see if i was the only one missing out on all the action at TV1. But thanks for the link i didnt know someone from valve finally posted about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is true, steaming pile of crap strikes again. I have decided that anything relating to steam and valve will no longer be on my computer due to the recent problem.

First of all, since when does anyone pay for a MOD?? I have never heard of this in all the years that I have been playing computer games. Sure we pay for "expansion packs" but not MODs... And then to top it all off, you pay for it and then BAM! sorry but your CC is declined even though we have taken the money out of your account, therefore you can't play. But you can try to re-purchase it with another card...

I have gone through the proper channels in the steam support website and I have been waiting for a day and a half for them to at least acknowledge the issue... nothing. They obviously don't give a rat's ass about their customers. That to me is a sure way to kill business.

I know alot of you people like or even love Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and all teh MODS and stuff that goes with them, but after this situation I recommend a complete banxor of valve and steam. Its ludicrous really, to be saying this here at a HL gaming community, but I feel strongly about this and I hope that no one else will get pissed on and then told its raining by steam before this is all said and done.

Anyway, enough of my rant thanks for reading... you won't be seeing me playing any Valve related software ever again... there are plenty of other software companies who care about their customers

This one is for you STEAM!!! #Fist oh and so is this #alien

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnCarterofMars wrote:
First of all, since when does anyone pay for a MOD?? I have never heard of this in all the years that I have been playing computer games. Sure we pay for "expansion packs" but not MODs

You're not paying for a mod, dod:s is a standalone game created from scratch, it's sad that you complain about getting a game made from scratch when you only payed a few $ for a direct port of the game.

sure steam sucks, but its no reason to complain about how you had to pay a few bucks for a top notch game.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, JCOM what you say is correct, it's complete crap what steam is makin people go through.

Secondly, Mike, please pay attention while I introduce to you this interesting scenario.

When you bought Half Life, assuming you bought the pack that came with counterstrike and TFC (and now DoD), you payed for CS, but you only payed 30 bucks for all 4 games, which were ALL stand alone games created from scratch.

However, when you bought Half Life 2, you had to pay 10 bucks PER mod

When you bought Half Life, you didn't have to pay 10 bucks per mod in order to get CS Source, TFC Source, and DoD source, you just got them at the price of 30 bucks for all 4 games(none of the mods ever cost 10 bucks a pop). Why should that change when you buy Half Life 2? Why should the relationship be any different, even if the source mods hadn't yet been released? Why should you have to pay more for something now that was as revolutionary as it's predecessor was then? The reason is because valve is greedy. JCoM has every right to be "steamed", pardon my pun.

Valve needs to come down off their high horse and start paying more attention to their customers, or else they will find themselves without them.

-KK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatherGregory wrote:
First of all, JCOM what you say is correct, it's complete crap what steam is makin people go through.

Secondly, Mike, please pay attention while I introduce to you this interesting scenario.

When you bought Half Life, assuming you bought the pack that came with counterstrike and TFC (and now DoD), you payed for CS, but you only payed 30 bucks for all 4 games, which were ALL stand alone games created from scratch.

However, when you bought Half Life 2, you had to pay 10 bucks PER mod

When you bought Half Life, you didn't have to pay 10 bucks per mod in order to get CS Source, TFC Source, and DoD source, you just got them at the price of 30 bucks for all 4 games(none of the mods ever cost 10 bucks a pop). Why should that change when you buy Half Life 2? Why should the relationship be any different, even if the source mods hadn't yet been released? Why should you have to pay more for something now that was as revolutionary as it's predecessor was then? The reason is because valve is greedy. JCoM has every right to be "steamed", pardon my pun.

Valve needs to come down off their high horse and start paying more attention to their customers, or else they will find themselves without them.

-KK

CS and DoD were already mods and were bought by valve after their releases, so there was no charge. TFC was hl's multiplayer, kinda like CS:S. DoD:S was developed entirely in house and the time taken to make that could have been used on other projects to sell. They didn't have to completely redo DoD:S, but people complained about how they wanted a new game, like CS:S, so they did. Now people complain about how they had to pay for it. Valve is a company, a company needs to sell products inorder to survive, they can't give away everything for free. If you bought the HL2 silver package you practically got DoD:S for free considering it was $60 including the premier pack that sells for $19 and hl2 was $50.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve survived just fine before the release of HL2, and without the cash influx from CS, DoD, and TFC.

I agree that valve needs to make money, but if they irritate their customers too much by charging too heavily, then they wont make money EITHER way.

-KK
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy

Last edited by sgt stutter on Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have been really lucky so far. I haven't had any issues with Steam or Valve aside from the occasional down time...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orgasmose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen to me with a Master Card under my Mom's name. When I did my first purchase I put a space in the postal code (Canadian convention, ie M5L 3A1). However, today I made another purchase with a different card without the space and it seemed to work.

The reason why I believed it to be the space in the postal code is because the feedback that has been given from Valves customer service has been:

Quote:

Hello,

I apologize for any difficulties you may have encountered with your purchase.

I have checked your account and found that the zip code which was entered did not match the one on file with the Address Verification System (AVS).

Because we distribute our products electronically, we do not accept transactions that are not a complete match. Your credit card issuer may place a temporary hold on the funds for the purchase (this hold may last several days, depending upon their policies).

Nothing will be charged to your credit card unless you receive a confirmation e-mail stating that your transaction has gone through.

Please verify the exact street address your credit card company has on file for you before trying your purchase again and let us know if you have any further questions.

--------------------------------------

Hello Jobye,

As I stated in my previous email your credit card issuer may place a temporary hold on the funds for the purchase (this hold may last several days, depending upon their policies). This is not something we can change as it is up to the issuer.

Also AVS is not a system we control, it is a system run by the banks. What I would suggest you do is contact your bank and let them know that a transaction you made was declined because AVS failed on your postal code. What you have on your banking statement is not necessarily what the banks have on your AVS records.

Once you bank informs you what is wrong you should be able to make your purchase through Steam without an issue.

------------------------------------

Jobye,

The other online purchasers may not be declining on AVS information because either:

A) They are shipping a physical product to you and will have delivery information from the shipper.
B) They are willing to take the chance of fraudulent transactions if there is an AVS mismatch.

With the amount of transactions we do we cannot take the risk of allowing them to go through.

I have taken a look at all of the threads in the forums and most people are in the same boat as you, although there are other reasons for being declined as well. My explaination for this issue is not any different though.

We would like you to reattempt your purchase so you can play our games, but as I have said before you need to work out with your Credit card issuer why AVS would be declining you for a bad postal code.

FROM: http://www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/showthread.php?s=2bc8e1b9cd36ab6150aa2b2a40691e83&threadid=55266&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

I haven't gotten a credit card accepted email yet so I am not sure if I am right. If I am right, then Valve really sucks at programming if they cannot ignore a space.
Schar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the first time i have been affected by the steam machine, But I understand that there is going to be problems every so often it is just a fact of life. Dont forget Source was redone by valve staff that means that valve was paying them to redo the whole concept that is source. Regular DOD was created for fun purley for the community. That is why I can justify paying the 20$ for the game. Sure i had to wait an extra 2weeks while everyone blasted each other but now that valve has given me the game back at the preload price and it is working, all is forgotten.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how i see it, and i probably dont have the full picture but here goes.
Valve really has 2 games (this is how i see it) HL1 and 2. They have created a BOOT load of mods just off those two games and released almost all of them free of charge.

They charged people for CS becuz that was pretty much their most popular mod, and anyone who doesn't think that should look at all the CS related violence in Korea lol. So they charged a few bucks for an Condition Zero so they can keep making more mods and giving them to us for free.

So if everynow and then I have to shell a few frog skins out for 1 game/mod so i can dl more free ones later i can.

HOWEVER- If Valve makes it point to start charging for more and more mods or add a monthly subscription fee for your Steam account, you'll see me playing alot more on The Ville VII.

I pay for 1 game a month, thats World Of WarCraft THATS IT and i LOVE that game even thou i havn't played in months (didnt wanna pay monthly fees while i'm in Kuwait but if i had a good laptop and steady net feed i'd be playing all day)

Valve can get their 2cents out of me, but if they wanna take my 2 cents every month, i'm with JCOM #alien

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseOldJames{ATL} wrote:
This is how i see it, and i probably dont have the full picture but here goes.
Valve really has 2 games (this is how i see it) HL1 and 2. They have created a BOOT load of mods just off those two games and released almost all of them free of charge.

They charged people for CS becuz that was pretty much their most popular mod, and anyone who doesn't think that should look at all the CS related violence in Korea lol. So they charged a few bucks for an Condition Zero so they can keep making more mods and giving them to us for free.

So if everynow and then I have to shell a few frog skins out for 1 game/mod so i can dl more free ones later i can.

HOWEVER- If Valve makes it point to start charging for more and more mods or add a monthly subscription fee for your Steam account, you'll see me playing alot more on The Ville VII.

I pay for 1 game a month, thats World Of WarCraft THATS IT and i LOVE that game even thou i havn't played in months (didnt wanna pay monthly fees while i'm in Kuwait but if i had a good laptop and steady net feed i'd be playing all day)

Valve can get their 2cents out of me, but if they wanna take my 2 cents every month, i'm with JCOM #alien

they didn't make cs and they never charged for it. they didn't make cs:cz so they weren't incharge of the pricing of it. They're not going ot charge a monthly fee for games.
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with the anti-valve thing around here. Seriously...

I gave Valve 40 bucks back in 1998. I have played mods for FREE off their engine all these years. So has everyone. Paying another 50 bucks for their HL2 engine again was worth it to me.

Ok.. I payed extra for CS:S and DOD:S but... saying that we got them for free before and not now is because CS and DOD were not made by Valve back then. If that is why you are upset then blame the original DOD or CS devs for signing on with Valve. Im sure there will be many many free mods out there. You dont have to play CS and DoD.

Anyway.. it seems there was a bug in their billing. I would be upset about that. But, If you have been around any other online game other that this you would know that this stuff happens. Im sure they will fix it, they have to, its your money. Let me tell you.. Steam has been great compared to MOST online releases, trust me. Try having servers down for weeks? Unplayable for days, etc. Paying a monthly fee and you cant play? Waiting in a queue for an hour? Guess I have seen it all..

How about if thousands of people are having the same problem as you? Think they are going to be able to write a letter to you right away? I know people that have waited days even weeks for Blizzard, EA, Sony.. Ever deal with Microsoft? hehe

Is it right.. no... should these companies have better service? Yeah.. But.. I also see where everything is working fine for a year then there is a major bug in an update, service, server, etc and they dont have the manpower to take care of thousands of inquiries.

"STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE" ~Blue Ruler
"Silver is Cheezylicious" ~MErf
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat Source All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: