FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Which 6800?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KopiKat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh don't be so hasty squidy.

My machine runs Half Life 2 on FULL graphics settings with a minimum FPS of 90.

What is my graphics card you ask? A Gforce MX 4000. That's right, I said it, a Gforce MX 4000, a 128 mb AGP card.

Now, mind you my computer is a beast (AMD 3700+ 939 pin, 1024 Megabytes of DDR 400 ram dual channeled, and an NVidia Nforce4 Chipset motherboard), but I still run it like a dream. It's great, so don't throw the lower end graphics cards out the window just yet. With the right processor and enough ram, you can make up for a not-so-hot graphics card.

-KK
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rouser, whatever you do follow the advice about getting a 6800GT version of whichever OEM you decide. You won't be sorry.

I currently run dual PCI-Express (SLI) Asus 6600GT's (it was cheaper at the time than a single 6800 (not GT) and performs slightly better. (Also, I can run dualhead if I want. I may go to dual 6800GT's when they come down a bit more, we will see.

Peace.

=US-])uke]\[ukem-V=
I STINK, therefore I SPAM!
[doctored Descartes]
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may order this one here, since newegg does not seem to have this one in AGP
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3152920/search=graphics+cards

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of building a new computer even though it's going to take awhile as I'm buying piece by piece as I get the money. I'm looking at probably AMD Dual-core when they come down abit. I will be running SLI either 2-6800 Ultras or 2-7800's Not sure yet on which. I figure my computer I have now will last me atleast 2-3 more years so I have plenty of time . So I will be picking things up as they are on sale.

If I were to get a 6800GT right now I think I would go with the Gigabyte little more money, but very solid and lifetime warranty . ( I think alot of manufactures have that ). I have had very goodluck with all my gigabyte cards and MB and they always seem to have all the features and then some. My MB right now I can hook up 20 HD's without pigtailing any of them.

Hmm I just looked they have it in a AGP ;(.

As said above good name brand ram and a healthy proccessor is your best friend. I have a FX 5200 PCI card in Jr's computer and it is getting 60 FPS in DoD. Just for comparison I had it in my old CPU P4 1.8Ghz. 512 cheap ram and I was getting 10-20 fps with it. He has a 3.0Ghz 512 Corsair. So he got a 40FPS boost from the ram and CPU.

Main thing is to look at is warranty and look at the reviews for them and see which one suits you best. . A hundred or so dollars more in the begining will save you many headaches in the end.
squidly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopiKat wrote:

What is my graphics card you ask? A Gforce MX 4000. That's right, I said it, a Gforce MX 4000, a 128 mb AGP card.

Now, mind you my computer is a beast (AMD 3700+ 939 pin, 1024 Megabytes of DDR 400 ram dual channeled, and an NVidia Nforce4 Chipset motherboard), but I still run it like a dream. It's great, so don't throw the lower end graphics cards out the window just yet. With the right processor and enough ram, you can make up for a not-so-hot graphics card.

-KK

I agree with you KK!!! You CAN have good FPS with lower end card!!! But the point is that you'll have to, just like you've written in your mail, have a very good and powerful CPU to compensate for your crappy video card. So, excuse me, dont wanna to offense you but, that sound a little bit silly to my ear.... You spend big $ on your motherboard, cpu and memory but you buy a crappy card to go with your BIG BEAST!!!

Just for coming back to our sheep, My point was that Rebel doesn't have your powerful beast. So he need a better video card than a 5200!!! And just for general information, 128mb video card are not a limiting factor in today's game.... Look at every benchmark comparing 128 vs 256mb and you'll see that the difference is very low... Personnally, I would prefer buying a top notch 128mb than a lower quality 256mb!!!!

JMHO!!!!

Anyway, good shopping Rebel!!!!
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thanks

But, my computer and graphics card is 2 and half years old, so it is not as top notch as it use to be. But the P4 2.8HT is all I need for another year or two.
That 5200 was a great card IMHO, it even played HL2 without any problems. But, now it is starting to show its age, I think it is around 3 years old or so.
So it looks like I will be getting a eVGA 256 6800GT. When I decide to get a new pc, I may just take out my 6800GT from this one

Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if anyone wants to send me their " old" graphics cards i'm still using my geforce mx400 pci card with 64 mb onboard memory. i think i have an agp slot buyt i'm not sure the speed so who knows what to get. i really don't want to spend money on an upgraded card since i'm at the point now where its getting to the end up its reasonable upgrades. if i'm gonn a spend 100's of $ i want to build a new one. but like i said if you want to send me old cards i'll gladly take them off yer hands. heck depending on what it is i'll send some money for shipping. lol

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Asustek_P4XP_X
http://www.achieva.com.au/news_p4xpx.htm
http://www.miordenador.com/info/asus/plantilla/p4xp-x.htm

apparently its a 4x agp...
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if nobody wants to send me thier old ones i may jsut ahve to buy this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130197

for 60 bucks i think i can handle that. to keep me covered for another year+ ( oh god i hope that plus sign is only a month or two)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopiKat wrote:

-KK

but the question is, what res, direct X version, and various filters are you using?
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After careful consideration and reading many reviews on manufacturers of 6800GT's. I just purchased the Nvidia XFX Geforce 6800GT 256MB.

From the reviews I read, XFX's 6800GT is suppose to be one of the better 6800's so thats the one I got. Thanks for all your help guys
-Rebel

Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after minutes of deliberating i got the evga geforce fx 5500 agp 256 mb card for $57 on newegg. got here exactly 36 hours after placing my order and i think i'm gonna put it in now.... wish me luck
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replica wrote:
after minutes of deliberating i got the evga geforce fx 5500 agp 256 mb card for $57 on newegg. got here exactly 36 hours after placing my order and i think i'm gonna put it in now.... wish me luck

Good luck!

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it looks to be going okay for now... we'll have to test it on some games and see.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct X 9c, Antiroscopic Filtering x16(the highest available), resolution 1024x960.

-KK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopiKat wrote:
Direct X 9c, Antiroscopic Filtering x16(the highest available), resolution 1024x960.

-KK

that card only supports dx7
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: